Ballet Talk for Dancers

Any experience of exam?

Windy

I would like to do a vocational intermediate foundation exam with BBO this year. Because I had not any exam experience before, so I feel very nervous. :yes:

Can anyone describe how this kind of exam looks like? Any experience?

Also if anyone has any information on the BBO syllabus that would be greatly appreciated, as it is not very common near where I live.

As far as I know it's the same sort of structure as RAD, i.e. Grades 1-5, then Grades 6-8 recreational or Inter Foundation - Advanced 2 vocational.

I also heard it's supposed to be a lot more "dancey" than RAD in the lower grades - but I'm afraid I don't know much about the higher grades/vocationals though.

It is one of the QCA-accredited boards, so I can't imagine it'd be much different from RAD or ISTD by that stage. (Same destination, different route...)

• 3 weeks later...

Windy,

is this going to be your first RAD exam? Have you taken the lower grades (The General Graded Exams) before? Because basically it's the same.

You are going to enter the exam session in a group of 4 girls maximum, which are usually about the same height. The uniform is black leotard with spaghetti straps. For inter-foundation you need to wear either leather ballet slippers (with ribbons). Wearing demipointes is an option, but for the next grades, it's a must. You have to bring in your pointes shoes, a small towel, and a small bottle of water. You can also bring in some special requirement, like asthma spray, but remember that this special requirement must be noted on your exam registration form.

The inter-found exam usually takes about 1h10 - 1h20. The examiner will tell you the names of the exercises, and sometimes he/she ask you to do the exercises together, by twos, by ones, or continuously. You just need to pay a very good attention on the instruction. This part is a bit difficult for the young students in my country, because English is not our first language.

There will be small breaks where you are allowed to use your towel and take a sip of water. Don't walk around the room, just stand still in relaxed position, ready for sudden instructions. Don't talk with the other candidates.

For the Free Enchainement section, the examiner will tell you the name of the step slowly, and you should perform it right away, to show him/her that you understand. Just do it in a relaxed way, like when you mark the steps with the music.

Don't forget to smile and make eye contacts with the examiner. Don't forget that expression and communication are also noted under the "Performance" section.

Don't hesitate to ask if you're not sure about what to do.

Go for it!!

:blushing:

Also if anyone has any information on the BBO syllabus that would be greatly appreciated, as it is not very common near where I live.

Simply call up LSC and you will get all the information :wacko:

Windy,

is this going to be your first RAD exam? Have you taken the lower grades (The General Graded Exams) before? Because basically it's the same.

You are going to enter the exam session in a group of 4 girls maximum, which are usually about the same height. The uniform is black leotard with spaghetti straps. For inter-foundation you need to wear either leather ballet slippers (with ribbons). Wearing demipointes is an option, but for the next grades, it's a must. You have to bring in your pointes shoes, a small towel, and a small bottle of water. You can also bring in some special requirement, like asthma spray, but remember that this special requirement must be noted on your exam registration form.

The inter-found exam usually takes about 1h10 - 1h20. The examiner will tell you the names of the exercises, and sometimes he/she ask you to do the exercises together, by twos, by ones, or continuously. You just need to pay a very good attention on the instruction. This part is a bit difficult for the young students in my country, because English is not our first language.

There will be small breaks where you are allowed to use your towel and take a sip of water. Don't walk around the room, just stand still in relaxed position, ready for sudden instructions. Don't talk with the other candidates.

For the Free Enchainement section, the examiner will tell you the name of the step slowly, and you should perform it right away, to show him/her that you understand. Just do it in a relaxed way, like when you mark the steps with the music.

Don't forget to smile and make eye contacts with the examiner. Don't forget that expression and communication are also noted under the "Performance" section.

Don't hesitate to ask if you're not sure about what to do.

Go for it!!

:)

Thank you dancing_dentist, my exam in December is a BBO exam, do you know if it would be similar to the RAD you advised?

There is an official BBO journal. I flipped through it yesterday and there is quite a lot about their exams. There is even a male Intermediate syllabus.

Maybe you could ask your teacher to give you more information about the exam. Where are you taking BBO classes?

There is an official BBO journal. I flipped through it yesterday and there is quite a lot about their exams. There is even a male Intermediate syllabus.

Maybe you could ask your teacher to give you more information about the exam. Where are you taking BBO classes?

With a local teacher in Scotland.