Ballet Talk for Dancers

Eugene Lang College/The New School

• Administrators

Never even heard of it, fendrock, although I have certainly heard of Eugene Lang. Is the school in CA?

Eugene Lang College is part of The New School in NYC - in Greenwich Village! Within The New School there are several colleges and this is one...Eugene Lang College - of Liberal Arts which has a Dance major: The Dance Program where you can read about the program and also will find faculty bios

As with any program, one must try to find out how often these faculty teach - among other things. Certainly The New School has a very good reputation, though I have no knowledge of its Dance Program (which doesn't mean a thing since I'm not knowledgeable about Dance majors..)

Edited by BW
  • Administrators

So this is the program that used to be associated with The Joffrey?

I think it might be - if The Joffrey used to have a program with The New School... I thought The Ailey School used to be involved with The New School...and I believe now is with Pace University - but don't quote me! :flowers: I'm going by my memory banks. :yes:

• Administrators

Joffrey had one. For some reason it didn't work out.

The New School underfunded their program with Joffrey. Perhaps they have learned from the experience.

I think we need to create a flow chart to track all the comings and goings of programs in NYC!!!! :blink: I had to read these last posts 3 times before I sort of sorted out in my mind what had transpired. :(

I know a student that is a sophmore at Eugene Lang. She loves the teachers she has had and feels that the instruction is on par with the instruction she has had a home. She also has a fabulous internship at ABT this semester. Nothing better than being close to the company dancers!!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dd will be visiting Eugene Lang New School this summer. Anyone have more recent info on this school? Quality of ballet classes? Better to go off-campus since in Greenwich Village? Also appreciate any input on quality of campus life, academics, etc.

thanks everyone!