Ballet Talk for Dancers

Fordham University/ Alvin Ailey Affiliated program

Rejection received this evening. Luckily, we were at a different program today visiting their Honor's college program and she really liked it. I'm glad that she liked the other program before she received her rejection. Good luck to everyone!!!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Balletgirl19892003

• magical life

• tutumama

• dancingSJ

All BFA’s do their academics at Lincoln Center. I believe dancers are not permitted to take class in the Bronx, not that I think they would ever be able to fit in the commute and the class.

My DD was waitlisted at Fordham/Ailey. I’m not sure what that means! She’s strong academically but she’s more classical ballet than modern, so maybe that’s the problem. I need to see the email so we can understand the next steps. Anyone else?

• 8 months later...

Question- when it comes to solos, I see that it says a solo should be not more than 3 minutes but not less than two minutes. How strict are they about these things? If it is a little bit under two minutes will she be penalized? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 8:59 AM, Sarah Pedulla said:

Question- when it comes to solos, I see that it says a solo should be not more than 3 minutes but not less than two minutes. How strict are they about these things? If it is a little bit under two minutes will she be penalized? Thank you.

You could give them a call, but I would err on the side of upping the solo to the required length. That way you don’t have to worry! 

• 1 year later...

Are there any current attendees out there? Anyone planning to attend in fall? DD just received acceptance from the waitlist.  We never had the chance to tour Fordham as our spring break plans got cancelled. I wonder how Ailey is planning to move forward. Does anyone know what the current dance students have been doing this spring? Also DD prefers a double major option, and I've heard this is very difficult with the Ailey BFA, if anyone has recent experience we would be grateful for the information. 

• 9 months later...

Is there anyone out there also waiting to hear about acceptance for fall 2021 to Fordham/Ailey or heard anything? 

My DD is waiting.. last time we heard from them was regarding the 2nd round back in January... 

• 2 weeks later...

My child was waitlisted at Fordham/Ailey. Not quite sure if anyone makes it off the waitlist but we are willing to try. We do have other options, but i believe this is my child’s first choice. 

Any one know how realistic it is to get off a waitlist? 

i know this year a lot of college counselors are saying the waitlists will be larger and that schools will utilize these lists . I believe that is for academics and i am not sure how it translates to dance waitlists. 

any advice/input would be appreciated. 

thank you

Adielizabeth1- hi! No answers for you but commiserating in same boat! :) Dd  got waitlist this week, too. Not too surprised as her training is primarily classical ballet much more than modern, but still hopeful for this to be an option. Hope to hear more about the process from others!