• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Balletgirl19892003

• magical life

• tutumama

• dancingSJ

I am currently a freshman in the Ailey/Fordham BFA program and I really like it so far!!! There are 21 incoming freshman this year, including 2 boys. Yesterday the freshman had their freshman rep auditions and the 2 choreographers that we have are both amazing. I feel like we are finally getting a chance to really dance and move. Midterms were this past week and our Anatomy midterm is next week so it's been a really crazy and hectic week but Ailey really understands and wants us to do well in both areas. The program here is a lot of hard work and can be stressful at times but I feel like it is totally worth it!!! If you have any specific questions to ask don't hesitate to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Balletgirl19892003: I'm auditioning in January. My experience is mainly in ballet...no Horton experience. Does this mean that I will automatically be placed in level 1. And if this is the case, I'm worried about not getting enough pointework.

Thanks so much for your input! I'm so glad we have a BT member who is currently there and can share info!

When DD and I visited the Fordham/Ailey program, I understood our guide from the Ailey program Admissions office to say that if the student had not had Horton, then they would be put in the Level 1. The students will get a good grounding in both Horton and Graham. Therefore, unless the student placed in the higher ballet levels and already had a good base of both Horton and Graham, it might be a couple years before the pointe class(es) could be worked into the schedule easily.

But, I could have missed something---

Thank you dancemaven. That seems to be the feeling I got from reading through the thread. I would assume then that most of the dance grads get contracts with modern companies. Please correct me if this is not true.

I would assume then that most of the dance grads get contracts with modern companies. Please correct me if this is not true.

I do not know off-hand. You'd have to check with their alumnae list or the placement folks.

Balletgirl19892003: I'm auditioning in January. My experience is mainly in ballet...no Horton experience. Does this mean that I will automatically be placed in level 1. And if this is the case, I'm worried about not getting enough pointework.

You will be placed in level 1 of either Horton or Graham based modern since you have not had either, you get to pick which one your freshman year. But your placement in Horton does not affect the level you get placed in for ballet. There are 4 levels of both Graham and Horton and 7 levels of ballet. Pointe classes are held once a week for levels 4 and up but a few of the teachers like the girls in levels 5 and up to put on their pointe shoes for center or even the whole class. Ailey is known for being a modern company but the ballet classes offered are excellent.

I know two dancers who graduated from Fordham/Ailey. The first danced with Ailey II and now is with Compania Tania Perez-Salas (billed as "contemporary"). Her sister also graduated from Fordham but it escapes me where she is dancing now.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would give an update since this semester is coming to an end. The Ailey company is performing at City Center right now and students of the Ailey school were allowed to go to opening night for free. The show was amazing and really inspired me to dance even more. Finals for academics are over the next two weeks and for each exam you have to take you are allowed one reading/study day plus the exam day. Ailey really tries to take in consideration that we are doing academic work, as well as dancing, so you are allowed one study day and one exam day for each exam off from dance and it will be seen as an excused absence. The only thing is if you have rehearsal that day you are still responsible for going to it even if you did not dance all day because of your exam. Rehearsals for both freshman groups are in session now and with only 2 weeks left, before the break, there is a lot of hard work to be done. I'm still very glad I chose this program and look forward to our performance in january!!!!

Hello,

My DD is auditioning in New York in January. She is currently a contemporary student at NCSA and is wondering if she will need pointe for the auditions. Thank everyone for your impressions of the program; my DD is getting them from me.

Lso

lso,

Your daughter will not need pointe shoes in the audition unless she chooses to do her solo audition on pointe.

If anyone else has any questions feel free to ask!

balletgirl: you mentioned your freshman class size--is that a pretty typical number each year? And how large are your actual dance classes? I am thinking classes consist of certificate, BFA, and prof div students, is that true?