Ballet Talk for Dancers

TOO EASY

Guest obsessedancer

Guest obsessedancer

I desperatly want to become a proffesional dancer and I am 13. Although, The classess are to easy ( way to easy). I do get a work out, but it has been the same steps for a year and still the combonations are the same and the steps have not been challenging. Another friend of mine in the class feels the same way and we both really want it to be harder! We both are way ahead technique wise and strength wise. We can do lot's of steps on pointe ( triple perouettes) that no one else can do, we are doing steps that people couldn't even do in High school and while some people can't even pointe their feet right. Basically, we feel we need it to be in the next level. Oh ya. We also seem to be more advanced in our technique and at the same level and strength with our pointe. What Should we do?

-obsessedancer

:D

Guest obsessedancer

Sorry, forgot to make sure sentences are understandable and finished :shrug:

At the end when it says that we more advanced and at the same level with pointe, I am comparing me and my friend to the level up.

Sorry, I'm knew to this :D

• Administrators

It sounds like it's time to find a pre-professional school. If you are the most advanced in your school, at 13, then the school is not one that can take you to a professional level.

Okay, just saw your second post, so evidently there is another level up. That is good. Perhaps you and your friend should talk to the teacher and ask when it will be possible for you to move up a level. The teacher may have a very valid reason for keeping you where you are at the moment.

• Administrators

Read the add on to my post, above. You were probably already reading and responding when I put that in there.

Guest obsessedancer

OOPS, sorry! :shrug:

I would do it, but I don't know how to say it with out being rude to the teachers who have been teaching me the easy classes.

I want to say the most polite way that I can! :D

• Administrators

You don't say that the classes are too easy for you. You simply ask when the teacher thinks you will be ready to move up, and what you need to work on to make that happen.

• 1 month later...
Guest obsessedancer

Lately, I have not been happy about some of my classes at my ballet school so far. I have two teachers. One teacher I have 3 days a week and the other I have twice. The teacher that I have twice a week is a great teacher and gives me loads of corrections and really helps me a lot. The classes are also plenty hard. The other teacher is great also and gives me loads of attention but her classes are very very slow, extremely boring and easy. We do the same combonations over and over again too. Half of it is because every body in my class is extremely behind me and two other girls (who feel the same way). I have talked to a teacher about this problem who I am great friends with and all she said was that during the class I should work on my technique and perfect it. So the next class I tried that and it helped very much but I still had the feeling in my mind that this is still to easy and I really need to be pushed harder. What should I do?? I feel so deprived and I know that I can do MUCH more dancing than I am doing now. For example. For a while during a break in the summer, I took a week and a half of adult class. I improved noticably in that time spand and I learned soooo many new steps. I was never bored in that class and I allways looked forward to them each and every day. Sometimes now I don't want to go to the easy classes because I know I will be bored to death. By the way, I am pasionate about dancing, I am always thinking about it and wanting to dance, and I desperatly want to become a proffesional dancer. My school is not set up for kids who want to be a dancer when they grow up!! What should I do!!?? :shhh:

obsesseddancer,

You posed this same question last month and received an answer from Ms. Leigh. I've merged your new post with the first one you made. This will help those trying to piece together the situation and give you some advice. :shhh:

• Administrators

If your school is not one that is "set up" for training dancers to the professional level, then it's time to find another school. Yesterday!

Guest obsessedancer

That is a bit of a problem because there is only one school other than the one I am allready going to and that school is good and has had many dancers to go to well known companies, but if I go there I won't be able to audition for SI's. They don't allow it. Although, it has pretty good training. all the girls there are very graceful, but they are weak on pointe. :D

• Administrators

I agree that not going to SI's can be a problem, however, if the training is better, it is important to have the better training. Perhaps you could explore a little further away and find a pre-professional school that does not have that kind of restriction. It might be a longer commute, but there are a lot of very good schools in CA!

• Administrators

I think I stated that in my post before the last one....YESTERDAY! :)