Ballet Talk for Dancers

Employment: First Job! What is needed?

springsdancer

I'm new to these boards(well been lurking for a while).On Saturday I'm moving to London to start an apprenticeship on Monday with a Christian dance company in Beckenham.I was wondering if anyone could help me think of things I may not have thought to take with me for dancing full-time?

I'm so excited,but so nervous and really don't want to forget anything...

thanks for reading this!

Gabbi :thumbsup:

• Administrators

Hello springsdancer, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, and congratulations on your exciting move to the professional dance world!

The most important things would be your dancewear, of course, and make up, and then just whatever you would take if you were moving anywhere or traveling. Don't forget that most things are available everywhere, so it's not a crisis if you forget something. :thumbsup: Things can also be sent from home. Just be sure that you have enough of the particular tights, leotards, and shoes that you wear, in case your brands are not immediately available over there.

Thankyou for the congratulations! It all seems like a dream still :thumbsup: I'm going to write some lists now of what to take...all seems a bit daunting and overwhelming :shrug:

• Administrators

I'm sure it doe, but it's also very exciting, so relax and just enjoy it! You are off on a whole new part of your life! :thumbsup:

Writing a list is a good thing. When I go away for a longer time, I imagine a day from morning until evening and write down everything I guess I would forget.

I write also a list of the things I will buy in at my new place (I am thinking of shampoo and all this stuff which might be heavy to carry)

Thanks,that's a good idea! I didn't think of imagining a day from beginning to end! I've started making lists,but if anyone can think of anything a dancer may need that I've probably forgotten I'd be so grateful! Have never danced full-time before :)

Do you use a certain type of elastic you won't get there? Or a special padding for your pointes? Or a glue you are not sure if they sell it in Londond? How do you do your hair? Probably you have needles or stuff you buy in a special shop and won't get there. At the moment I can't think of more things a dancer might forget...I have never danced for a longer time in another country.

Ah no, don't be scared. Just think of everything good the time dancing there will bring you. You will have many experiences and it is a unique chance. I am sure the people there will be very nice to you.

Thanks for the encouragement! It will be an amazing experience,and am sure I'll make lots of friends...I'm just not sure how my body will cope with the physical aspect of dancing so much.I'll be OK though :shrug:

• Administrators

We all wish you a great deal of luck, and we hope that we will hear from you after you are there, when you can tell us about it. :)

Oh yes, you must tell us how it is there. I have never done that but I would love to do it (you know, I am jealouse :grinning: ) Therefore you have to tell us everything :P Good luck!