Ballet Talk for Dancers

Full sole or split sole?

Guest SaxonComposer

Guest SaxonComposer

What sort of shoes do you guys usually get? Full sole or split sole? Leather or canvas? Black or white? Two elastics or one? And for what reasons?

Edited by SaxonComposer
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Shdwdrgn

I just bought my first pair of shoes this weekend, and having nothing else to go on, I tried both leather and canvas. I found the way the shoes fit was quite different and I settled on the canvas with a split leather sole because that shoe was very close to the shape of my foot.

For anyone else looking for their first shoes, I would recommend the same -- try on several pairs, move around in them, see how they fit your feet when flat or arched. I have not seen anything which suggests that one style is better than another (except maybe for a particular situation), so the best thing you can do is find the shoe that feels good.

... -- try on several pairs, move around in them, see how they fit your feet when flat or arched.

Man, that would be luxury indeed!

When I bought my first shoes, they had only one kind in my size. So I bought them. (White, canvas, split sole, double elastics). When they wore through, I had to special order replacements - they had no shoes at all in my size. They seem to work, so now I get them from the internet. I recently got the leather versions of the same thing (but not exactly, and with single elastic), which feel better but tend to stick if I don't stay on the sole pad.

Where (in Colorado?) do you find actual stock of men's ballet shoes?!

Guest Shdwdrgn

They actually only had the two styles in stock in men's... at least in black. I think she said they normally have more but were low on stock.

Boulder Bodywear, in Boulder. Kind of hard to find (even with the address), but the folks there were extremely helpful!

They actually only had the two styles in stock in men's... at least in black.  I think she said they normally have more but were low on stock.

Boulder Bodywear, in Boulder.  Kind of hard to find (even with the address), but the folks there were extremely helpful!

Even though I live in Boulder, I haven't been in that store in years because they never carried any men's dancewear at all. Do they have tights and stuff too, or just shoes?

Guest Shdwdrgn

I think they had *some* men's clothing, but I didn;t really see anything obvious. I asked about tights, but the only thing they had to show me was more like pants - loose around the leg. I'd certainly like to find someone around here who has decent tights. The ones I have now were picked up in the women's section at Kmart, and they're a bit too short, so I have to keep pulling them up during class. Annoying more than anything.

• 1 month later...
Guest Raymonde

Full Sole- They make stronger feet. Split Sole is fun but also less work.

Canvas- If they fit right, they last just as long as leather (when dancing on clean marlee) and they are more comfortable.

Color- Consult your school's dress code. Otherwise, you choose. Once your skill, experience, and fame grows, you'll want both colors around.

Elastics- Two elastics. If one breaks on stage your shoe stays on your foot. Sew them yourself so you have only yourself to blame if they break (don't blame your mother or your girlfriend).

I have very wide feet. It wasn't until I ordered pointe shoes that I learned what to order for ballet slippers. They are special ordered but the right shoe lasts longer and technique improves because I stand on my feet instead of part of them. It's just as important to have the right ballet slipper as the right pointe shoe.

Finding Men's Dance Apparel is a quest. Like the girls questing for their pointe shoes, you'll have to go to, I don't know. Denver, to the magic dance store that has everything (which usually is the basics for men. But that's more than Kmart has.) Once you have a feel for sizes, catalogue stores are most handy when living in remote places.

Edited by Raymonde

my fiancee prefers split sole canvas..not sansha though!! as for color, for class he prefers flesh, second choice black. he actually wears no elastics, but will sew one across for performances (actually i sew them). full sole leather would definitely make your feet stronger (that's what i wear but i only have to wear them for barre). finding "the" shoe is most definitely like finding "the" pointe shoe...i'm on a quest myself to find men's dancewear...especially a quality dancebelt for my man!!!

Dnznqueen, I know I shouldn't assume anything these days, but unless you're a man, you really shouldn't be posting here. The Men's Forum isn't just ABOUT men, it's FOR men only, even though everybody can read it. PRESSING information, like an answer to a hard-to-find question, can be done by a discreet "knock" at the door, but otherwise, it's the Men's Room. :blushing:

• 1 month later...
Guest A Boy

I have always had white single-elastic, canvas, full sole ones. Never really seen many others in the shops. Well I've seen black ones, but the dress code at my school is white ones for boys.

I don't think I'd like leather one as much, I don't like leather really.