Ballet Talk for Dancers

Music: Petipa/Pugni

Hi -

Don't know where to post this...moderators, please move if necessary.

My daughter is working on the variation from the pas from "The Venice Carnival" and we need the music from it (it's the pas seen on the VHS "Kirov Ballet Classic Ballet Night Mixed Program"). Anyone out there know where to find a recording of this ballet (or at least this variation?). It's a showy violin solo, so it might be a piece that would be included on a pot pouri violin collection.

Didn't know finding ballet tracks would be so hard :P

Thank you, wonderful ballet people. This board is such a great place and you all have helped me more than you know. It's the Mommy and Me (and Daddy and Me!) of the ballet world (remember taking them to those parent education classes when they were still little bundles in our arms?!) :grinning:

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Is the name of the music listed in the program notes? I looked for this in two of my books and can't find anything about it. Not familiar with this pas de deux and don't have that tape.

Try posting your question over on the other Ballet Talk board. So many of those people know the music as well as the ballets. They have a forum devoted to ballet history and music.

Ballet History and Music

Good luck :D and please let us know the answer if you find it!

The "Carnival of Venice" was a popular ballet/entertainment/ballad opera that lasted from the late 18th to the late 19th centuries, because it had a little bit of everything for almost everybody. Petipa excerpted the ballet portions and tied them together for a one-act ballet called "Satanella". The music was mostly by Pugni.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Ah, Satanella! Okay, thank you Mr. Johnson :D I'm very happy to know where that came from. I wonder if the music is available? The only thing I have have heard/seen is the variation, the female solo, and because that is used in YAGP competitions A LOT! It is very popular with the Japanese and the Brazilian students, as well as some from this country who have worked in Vaganova programs. Maybe vrs will be able to help with the music for this!

It will take me 24 hours, at least to find the exact CD we have used. May I suggest making a copy of the video to use as music until I am able to locate the CD we have used in performance?

• 3 months later...

There are some significant copyright questions opened by that site. I wouldn't say a word against them, just ask questions, like how these recordings fit in with the International Accords on Copyright Agreement, aka the Berne and Geneva Conventions on International Copyright. They seem "ripped" from audio tracks from videos, so I wonder about the legalities involved.

• 3 years later...

Any updates on this music? I am still looking for the female variation from satanella. I am also afraid to order from the website mentioned above. The only info on the company is an e-mail.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

I have ordered quite a number of CD's from that site and have had no problems. They changed some things a couple of years ago, and their site states quality of recordings and where they were recorded, so I think if there were illegalities that they must have been resolved. This is only my speculation, of course, but, I don't have any problem about ordering from them, as they have things that no one else has. :)

I'm going to try and order when I get to the school this afternoon. Do you know where the company is located and how long it took to get your music?

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Not sure, but it was relatively quick. A few days I think.

LaFilleSylphide

I have the song for the female variation, and with a little time searching I could get the whole pas de deux and coda. It's just somewhere in my stack of cd's, but I have the female variation of Satanella on my computer already. The only problem is, it sounds a little grainy, like there's some white noise from being a bad recording. It's not awful, but if you aren't terribly particular of that vintage sounding white noise, then I can send it to you if needed.