Ballet Talk for Dancers

The Fear, The Dread

Kate B

:(

I'm going back to ballet class today after a break of about 3 weeks, and as usual, I have got the fear. I love class, and hate it when I don't go, but after a break like this (I've been too busy to go to class) I find it really difficult to motivate myself to go back.

I feel a bit lardy, and I dread feeling slow and unflexible and tripping over my feet in petit allegro! :dry:

I just wondered what everyone does when they feel like this, to help them start classes again with a positive frame of mind.

1) go into class not worrying about how clumsy/bad I will look to other people in the class

2) get there nice and early so I have time to have a proper stretch and to think about what we will probably be doing in class.

3) relax into it and don't judge yourself so much :( you'll have a great first class back

2) get there nice and early so I have time to have a proper stretch and to think about what we will probably be doing in class.

I second to that, and personally I try to imagine that I never was away. :dry: So I'm convincing myself that I was there yesterday... :shrug:

I guess the problem is that you always think that you are the only one who has missed a class but that's not the truth. Next to you may be someone who has missed 6 months. :(

I second to that, and personally I try to imagine that I never was away. :rolleyes: So I'm convincing myself that I was there yesterday... B)

I guess the problem is that you always think that you are the only one who has missed a class but that's not the truth. Next to you may be someone who has missed 6 months. :)

2 excellent points! I will bear both of them in mind as I fail to touch my toes! :green:

Thank you both, I do feel a bit more like going. This board is so amazing. :(

[2 excellent points!  I will bear both of them in mind as I fail to touch my toes! :)

Thank you both, I do feel a bit more like going.  This board is so amazing. :(

Good luck&have fun, you're not alone (I had almost a year's break and now only after one week it feels as I needed to give my teacher an explanation where I've been...)! :rolleyes:

And as you start that lovely movement into the first demi plie, breeeeeathe, and you'll feel like you've never been away!

I go back this week as well, but not until Thursday, after a 3-MONTH break. I did do a few classes elsewhere earlier in the summer, but I've not done any ballet at all for over a month. At least the rest of the class have all been off too!

The good news - as far as ballet is concerned anyway - is that my college course (in accounting) is going to be on a different night from the one advertised so I can make the 2 x Intermediate Foundation classes after all and don't have to go back down to Grade 4! :) (Also means I have to pull out of the college course because it's on a night when I can't go though. :( )

But I know what you mean about being nervous about having forgotten everything. My Modern & Tap classes have already started back though so it's not quite as bad for me from that point of view, but I will be going into the existing Intermediate Foundation class with the people who have been at that level for a year already (their exams will be at Easter) so I know I am going to feel really clumsy & unco-ordinated and will not get much attention.

At least with 2 syllabus classes a week maybe I'll start to get used to the work, but I'll miss the unset class (it was cancelled at the end of last term) as I do better at unset, maybe because the combinations aren't so advanced.

I guess I will just have to resolve not to let it get to me that the others are so much better than me (& on pointe) & concentrate on my own improvement.

Jane

Make sure to wear your spiffiest/rattiest (whatever makes you happy) dance clothes.

I'm a raggamuffin type myself, though I admire the perfectly turned out-no hair out of place-pretty skirt wearing types. However you dress if you feel good about it that's one less thing to have to think about.

The mantra that gets me through the first sheepish class back is, "I am having a so-so, rebuilding-the-infrastructure class today so that I can have a good class tomorrow." Although by the time I get to thinking it, today's class sometimes has turned into a good class.

Have a break is not a bad thing as long as you can focus when you come back from break.

My first class after a summer/winter break was always good and did not let me down. Because I was looking forword to it and put more effort to it. Like the barre work, I tried to keep every movement up to the standard and tried to lift myself as much as I could.

Comparing to the break, I found sometimes after a few busy class weeks, I failed to do things on class such as lost balance, turn badly, etc.. then I knew I need a break.

Guest plain-dancer

I have class tonight. The week inbetween has seemed very long and I feel a little self-concious about only getting to one class a week. (I decided to stay with 1 class/1 teacher, instead of 4 classes/4 teachers while I'm beginning)

I agree, it's important to relax. I also find it helpful to focus extra-hard on all the little things - really make the class "count". Whether or not it's a good class, it'll feel good to know I've worked really, really hard. My goal for tonight is to not freak out about center.

Report:

I took the relaxing advice quite seriously I think because the class was fine and I hadn't deteriorated as much as I thought I had. When it came to pirouettes I had apparently forgotten all my hang-ups and attempted doubles and nailed 2 of them! I've been too scared to try doubles for years! It felt great. Now I can hardly remember what I was worrying about. :)

Thanks everyone for your support. The mantra for us all should be 'You can do it!'

Cool about the doubles! :) And maybe all that dancing you did in the early summer at The Place paid off over the long term. Isn't it interesting how our brains (and sometimes bodies) assimilate & learn stuff when we don't realise it?

Redbookish, I think there's quite a lot to be said for an intensive. I lost so much fear that week, loosened up, go into really dancing rather than repeating steps, and my technique and strength got so much better, it's definitely helped me in the long run. Yesterday when I was up in retire I felt like I could stay there forever, which is why I just thought, why not try a double?!

This is all such great advice. I've only missed one class, (2x per week currently) but am also feeling a little worried about going to class tonight - this after missing 20 years! ha ha

But I just psyche myself up for it knowing that every class I DO make will get me that much closer to my goals.