Ballet Talk for Dancers

Music: Center Stage

Guest LittleMissChievious

Ok, that piano song, from the beginning of the movie, from Jodie's audition, where she is at the barre.....WHAT IS IT? I love it and it is bothering me that I can't find out what it is. I've searched EVERYWHERE for it.

I don't know what it is off the top of my head, but I know that my teacher in college used to play it all the time in class. I will see if I can find it ...

Jamiroquai is played in the soundtrack, have you tried to see if you could find it on Amazon.com. Sometimes they have little clips you can listen to of the of the CD if its listed.

The name "Jamiroquai" is not listed on the IMDB credits: Full Cast and Crew for Center Stage. (Scroll down below the cast list.)

My daughter has the DVD with her at school, so I can't use it for reference. But I'm always looking for CDs she might like, so could someone please try to pin it down?

I am pretty sure it is Jamiroquai (sp). Of course, not every song is listed, especially when it is played only a couple of seconds. Go to a music store and listen through J and you will find it. :-)

Indeed! And that's why I'm not in a position to listen through their entire CD list. Besides, I don't have the DVD to compare it to right now.

Jamiroquai (yeah, thats the sp Dance Scholar)has two songs on the Center Stage Sountrack "Cosmic Girl" and "Canned Heat".

I don't recall these having had piano music, but...go to Amazon.com enter "Center Stage (2000 Film) [sOUNDTRACK]" into the search box at the top. Scroll down and you'll see the track listing and you can listen to sound clips. It may be listed on there. (I'd do it but my computer at work has no sound card). It is easier than watching the end credits hoping that the song is listed. But even then, the songs aren't listed in order sometimes.

Going to Amazon.com has helped me alot in screening CDs before I run out to buy them. Just my two cents.

:)

No, its definitely not Jamiroquai. The song you're thinking of is the part where she is in the center and the judges are talking about what bad turnout and feet she has. I'm talking about the piano song right at the beginning of the movie, before the Jamiroquai song.

The beginning song is not by Jamiroquai. It's a barre exercise song- I bet if one of our lovely teachers would watch the movie and listen to the first song, they would be able to tell us who it is. You know it's one of those pieces similar to Lynn Stanford- in that vein of music. The blurb on Amazon says that Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev are featured in the movie, but that may refer to the dance scenes later on. I would check the credits and try playing it for as many dancers and teachers as you can- someone is bound to know it or use the music for barre!

Jamiroquai (yeah, thats the sp Dance Scholar)has two songs on the Center Stage Sountrack "Cosmic Girl" and "Canned Heat".

These are the ones I meant, but right, they are not at the barre :)

• 9 months later...

I was searching through this forum the other day when I came across this topic. I have always loved the piano music from the beginning of Center Stage! Last night, I was watching Center Stage with my daughter and kept the movie on during the credits. In the credits, there is a section listing every piece of music used in the film. The piano music from the beginning of the movie was listed! It is called "Adagio for a Ballet Class" and it is written by a man named Dmitry Polischuk. Maybe if you search on Google for music written by this man you will be able to find his piece used in Center Stage on a CD!

:) Thank you Etoile!
  • 5 weeks later...

As a teacher, I was planning to order ballet class CD's for the fall-spring 2006-2007 term. I was on the Roper Records website and noticed a class CD titled Roper Records & David Howard present piantist Dmitry Polischuk Vol. 1 (RRCD 6072). Band 1 is listed as PLIE/ADAGIO---"Adagio from Center Stage".