Ballet Talk for Dancers
cmtaka

Fernando Bujones

cmtaka

This was released today. Thoughts and prayers would be welcome.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Orlando Ballet Artistic Director

Fernando Bujones Takes Three-Month Leave

(September 27, 2005 – Orlando, FL) – Orlando Ballet announces that Artistic Director Fernando Bujones has been taken ill and will take a three-month leave of absence. He was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. Mr. Bujones will undergo treatment over the upcoming months and will be absent from his duties at Orlando Ballet for the duration. President of the Ballet’s Board of Directors Linda Landman-Gonzalez said, “During the treatment period upcoming, Orlando Ballet School Director Peter Stark will be Mr. Bujones’ representative at Orlando Ballet. Mr. Bujones’ direction for The Nutcracker and Holiday Triple Treat Rocks! will be set by Ballet Mistress Samantha Dunster and Ballet Master Orlando Molina. Also on leave will be Maria Bujones, Assistant to the Artistic Director. Mr. and Mrs. Bujones expect to return to work at the Ballet in the new year.”

Mr. Bujones is keeping his spirits high and, inspired by Lance Armstrong’s own miraculous “journey back to life,” is filled with his usual true winning spirit, determined to get well and return to Orlando Ballet.

Fernando Bujones is a former Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theatre and world-class dancer. He has partnered with some of ballet’s greatest ballerinas in the major ballet companies across the world. Mr. Bujones was the first American to win the gold medal at the Varna Ballet Competition.

Together with his wife Maria and his family, Mr. Bujones will be treated and will recuperate in Miami. Orlando Ballet and the Bujones’ family ask for the positive thoughts and prayers of his fans throughout the world.

Established in 1974, Orlando Ballet is the only premier professional ballet company in the Greater Orlando area. Under the direction of Artistic Director Fernando Bujones, the 32-year-old organization employs 28 national and international professional dancers, performing both full-length classical ballets and repertoire programs. Via its mission, Orlando Ballet seeks to entertain, educate, and enrich the cultural growth of our community through the highest quality of dance.

####

Orlando Ballet

(407) 426-1733

www.orlandoballet.org

Russell P. Allen, Executive Director

Orlando Ballet

1111 North Orange Avenue

Orlando, FL 32804

office) 407-426-1733, Ext. 25

Victoria Leigh

Very, very sad news indeed. Thank you for posting it for us, cmtaka. We all wish him the very best and he will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Gina Ness

I read about this earlier today. Mr. Bujones is one of the greatest dancers I have ever seen. My husband and I are huge fans of his for many years. His partnership with Cynthia Gregory was remarkable. I wish him well and will keep him in my thoughts for a full recovery.

Guest somedaySAB

He is my favorite male dancer. I will be praying for him.

born2bprima

Wow, that is very upsetting news, but I know that he will be in the thoughts and prayers of many.

Memo

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. I think I have every video that has been made with him. How sad. I hope he is able to recover quickly to be with his family and his dancers.

ama1090

Oh wow. The SI I went to this summer was going to have Mr Bujones as a guest teacher, but he had pnemonia & fluid in his lungs then, & couldn't come.

Momof3darlings

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Bujones and the Orlando Ballet family. Very sad news.

vj

imdriving

DD so enjoyed her classes with Fernando this summer. I'm saddened to hear of his declining health and wish to add to the prayers of the BT family. We both wish his treatments will speed his recovery. He is such a treasure both to his students and the ballet world.

liljules5

Mr. Bujones was always a pleasure to work with last year when I was a trainee with OB. He is in my thoughts and prayers, as are Maria and all of the staff and dancers at OB.

dedancer

awww... this is horrible news, there was a master class in my area that fernando was supposed to teach but peter stark taught instead. They just told us he was sick, i didnt think it was this serious :)

robinmc

All of us are sadden by this unfortunate turn of events, my family and I wish Mr. Bujones and his wife Maria, all our prayers and thoughts. My DS trains at OB and their is a saddness among the dancers and company.

Please keep him in all your prayers.

pointebabe4ever

I don't know if this is true, you can delete it if it is not, but I heard from the teacher at my dance studio that he had been admitted into the hospital for cancer in his lungs and brain. Again I do not know if this is true, I was just hoping someone could let me know if it is really true or not.

Clara 76

Hello pointebabe4ever,

I think the best way to handle this would be to accept what the newspaper & Orlando Ballet are saying- that he has cancer of the lung and is very positive about the outcome.

I believe in sending positive thoughts and energy his way!!

Clara 76