Ballet Talk for Dancers
cmtaka

Fernando Bujones

elizzy

What terrible news! I know that I'll be thinking of him and praying for his safe recovery.

Amy'sMom

Indeed, this is very sad news. I, too, will pray for him and his family, and hope for a full recovery.

pointebabe4ever

i was wondering if anyone has heard anything new.

Mel Johnson

Oh, we've HEARD lots of things. That's why we have a no-hearsay rule.

Guest adancingartistforlife

Wow. he was one of the "Gods" of our generation. I saw another thread that was comparing Nureyev and Baryshnikov.

All due respect to them, but Fernando was right there with them

Mel Johnson

Yes, he was. And it bothered some people. Like Mischa. One year, there was a Halloween party given by ABT dancers, and he showed up wearing a tee shirt that said "I am not Fernando Bujones".

Mel Johnson

That's actually in print. It's recounted first in Gelsey Kirkland's book Dancing on my Grave and reported independently in a couple other places. It's too bad, because Fernando is a really nice guy, and never deserved that kind of mockery.

Bournonville Baby

I've taken class from Mr. Bujones like many others and I think he is an amazing man. He loves his wife, family, and dancers so much. He is one of my fave dancers of all time and he is an incredible teacher. His determined spirit was evident when I saw him whip off 5 prrouettes like it was nothing this summer. My family and I think the world of him and our hearts go out to the company, the school, and his family. We will be praying for him.

DANCE ON MR. BUJONES!

He is a nice guy. I met him once at a party after a Gala in Chicago in 1974.

He told me I shouldn't be smoking cigarettes...(I know, I know :yes: )

On Gelsey's book:

Just read it this past spring. What an eye-opener. i had no idea all that drama was going on...then again, I wasn't too surprised.

LooseLegs2

was he a smoker? was that the cause of the lung cancer, does anyone know? or was it other causes? its truly a shame. i have a video of him dancing, ABT at the Met. and i watched it all summer and fell in love with his long lines and beautiful dancing.

Bournonville Baby

He was not a smoker according to the Orlando Sentinel article.

Mel Johnson

Let us please remember that until the moment Mr. Bujones, heaven forbid, ISN'T, he still IS!

I really didn't mean to point out any kind of irony or anything when I related what he said to me in Chicago...I realized after I made my post how it could sound.

Him mentioning to me about smoking in 1974, and now him having lung cancer.

I can't even IMAGINE him being a smoker. The cause of his cancer could be so many other things.

Heck, nowadays, just breathing the air in some places is enough to give you cancer.