Ballet Talk for Dancers
cmtaka

Fernando Bujones

Memo
I really didn't mean to point out any kind of irony or anything when I related what he said to me in Chicago...I realized after I made my post how it could sound.

Him mentioning to me about smoking in 1974, and now him having lung cancer.

I can't even IMAGINE him being a smoker.  The cause of his cancer could be so many other things.

Heck, nowadays, just breathing the air in some places is enough to give you cancer.

Yes but in the 70's and 80's so many people smoked. It was accepted socially. I know I did and gave up in 1989. With both parents suffering smoking related illnesses. I realize how dangerous and deadly it is. Plus so many dancers did (and still do). But who knows the damage for me may already have been done and I dont even know it yet. There but for the grace of god go all of us.

:P

Gina Ness

Yes, Memo, and to tie into your thoughts on dancing and smoking during that time, let's not forget the now well-known and proven dangers of second-hand smoke. sqmca...Thank you for linking us to that lovely article on Fernando and his dancers.

Mel Johnson

A bit of pause, here, while I make a couple of observations on moral theology.

"There but for the Grace of God..." starts a phrase that seems to preface a statement saying "I'm no better than any wrongdoer." But that's not how it is. It is actually a smug self-congratulation by a judge in Restoration England observing a wagonload of criminals being driven up the hill to Tyburn, where the public gallows stood. "There but for the Grace of God goes John Bradford," he commented judicially. A year later, there by the Grace of God HE went up the hill for taking bribes.

And I edited the post above for speaking of the "evils" of secondhand smoke. I decline to ascribe moral quality to inanimate objects. "Dangers" is quite all right.

Gina Ness

Yes, I suppose dangers is a better word...I do always try to be very careful with my words when I post. I'll continue to send positive thoughts and energy to Mr. Bujones and his family and keep hope in my heart for his full recovery...

Marga

I have just returned from Orlando after spending two weeks there to be with my daughter and attend the performances of La Fille Mal Gardeé, in which my daughter danced. I arrived in Orlando on September 27th, the day the company was told of Fernando Bujones' diagnosis, which he received Saturday, September 24th.

Although the first official report only mentioned lung cancer, I am glad the Orlando Sentinel published an article 5 days later about the removal of a brain tumour, which the company was made aware of from the start. This information should deflect the talk about smoking and lung cancer to the other real concern, the growth of the tumour in his skull.

First of all, let me repeat and emphasize that Fernando Bujones does not smoke and definitely was not a smoker prior to diagnosis. While lung cancer often does metastasize to the brain, it can also be a result of primary cancer elsewhere metastasizing to the lung.

Before each performance a letter from Mr. Bujones was read to the audience, informing us of the reason for his leave of absence, telling us that he was facing the most difficult challenge of his life and that he is strongly inspired by Lance Armstrong's experience and is using it to positively fuel his own "journey back to life". He ended the letter on a very positive note, signing it "Your Artistic Director, Fernando Bujones".

He is still the force behind the company, which danced as if he were present and watching their every move, as always. They really did him proud, as all four performances were stellar experiences for both audience and dancers, each earning roars of appreciation and standing ovations. The dancing was world class, from the corps to the soloists; Samantha Dunster's choreography brilliant; the artistry of the performers of the main roles beyond stunning.

Fernando Bujones was there in heart and soul and was immediately informed of each performance's details by Peter Stark, director of the Orlando Ballet School and one of the magnificent dancers in the part of Mama Simone. Bujones sent encouraging remarks to his company and everyone has taken the signal from him to be upbeat and strong and positive. Lots of cards, letters, group pictures and personal greetings were brought to him in Miami where he is receiving treatment. His wife Maria is with him and together they are dealing with this new challenge as intensively and wholeheartedly as Bujones has approached every other challenge in his life.

Prayers are very welcome.

dufay

Marga- You are absolutely correct about smoking and lung cancer NOT being connected in many patients. However, lung cancer is much more apt to metastasize to brain, rather than a brain tumor to lung. I speak as a (ped) oncologist (I had a 12 yo with lung ca, BTW). Sadly, adult cancer is way behind pediatric cancer in its cure rate, butthe tumors are usually of a different, more chemo resistant type. We need more target therapy! I wish Mr. Bujones all the best, and hope for a miracle.

Marga
However, lung cancer is much more apt to metastasize to brain, rather than a brain tumor to lung. ........I wish Mr. Bujones all the best, and hope for a miracle.

You are right. Lung and breast cancers are all too often coupled with brain tumours. I wanted to make sure it was known (after it appeared in published form) that Fernando Bujones was dealing with a very serious situation that was beyond lung cancer, which is serious enough. Because of the detour this thread was taking into the discussion of smoking, I wished to put it back on track to the subject at hand -- Mr. Bujones and his fight against both lung cancer and a brain tumour, which was operated on.

I have been living with a huge tumour myself for the last 12 years, so have been immersed in the world of oncology and cancer success stories ever since. Right now, it is important to focus on the work involved to bring about a miracle for Fernando Bujones, including providing stories of recovery as well as living and functioning with cancer.

BluebirdMom

I am very familiar with lung cancer as the beloved wife of my brother, a life-long non-smoker, was diagnosed with it at age 41. She too developed a brain tumor which was successfully treated with radiation therapy. Not so for the actual lung cancer. It was Stage IV...the most advanced. She died 9 months after the initial diagnosis leaving behind two young girls, age 5 and 9.

We learned alot about lung cancer during that time. Now, whenever I hear about anyone dealing with it, I can appreciate how very serious it is. I don't know Mr. Bujones, but my daughter did have the pleasure of taking class from him and loved it. She also thoroughly enjoyed a summer session at Orlando Ballet where we were both very impressed by the welcoming environment there.

I am sending positive thoughts his way and pray for the miracle that he may very likely need.

dancemaven

So sad. May he rest in peace. I'm sure he will live on in the dancers whose lives he touched.

b1

Very sad news, indeed. He was truly a passionate person, about life, love and especially about ballet. Let's hope his passion continues in Orlando.

Deepest sympathy to his family, and to his extended dance family as well.

b1

Memo

I am so sad. I knew this was coming as a friend passed away about this time last year from non smokers lung cancer, once diagnosed she went very quickly. We were all so hoping for the best for him.

I cannot express my saddness and what a gift he gave to the world with his elegant dancing and incredible energy and love.

My condolonces to his family and friends.

Mel Johnson

May he have eternal rest;

May light perpetual shine upon him.

Clara 76

The ballet world has lost a great talent. Many prayers and sympathy to his family and those who knew him.

Clara 76