Ballet Talk for Dancers

getting discouraged

dancergirl39

I'm 13 and I'm worried. I read all this stuff about how whoever wants to go pro NEEDS to be taking like 2 ballet classes a day, 6 days a week. I want to go pro soooo bad, more than anything, but I'm so frustrated because I live in a small town with no ballet school in it. Our ballet teacher recently resigned and they brought in a dentist who studied dance once upon a time to come teach technique twice a week. Those classes with her are pathetic. I drive twice a week to a ballet school an hour and a half away, but I still fell like its not enough. I don't know what to do. All I want to do is dance, but I can't see it happening.

Then you need to start looking farther afield in order to find a serious school with a qualified teacher or faculty.

• Administrators

dancergirl39, you are still young enough not to panic, however, you do need to find a way to get intensive training if you really want to try for a professional career. If there is no training in your area, then you may need to consider a residency program somewhere. Check out the threads about residency programs in the Dance Education section of the board.