Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest marathongirl

Ballet Schools in Washington DC

koshka

Well, if you're working in Bethesda, Maryland Youth Ballet is right there & has lots of evening classes. If you're working in Bethesda and using the metro to get back to NoVa via the Orange Line, Arlington Center for Dance is very close to the VA Square metro stop. Both places offer evening classes that begin between 630 and 8pm or so.

LaMusicienne

Thanks for the suggestions, koshka. MYB is in fact very close to where I will be working. I was looking into the schedule, and the class I wanted was offered three times, but two of the times are during the day. Since I need at least twice a week to get anywhere, MYB would be disappointingly out of the picture.

As for ACD... ha, well, my mom sounded very reluctant to have to make yet another drive out of her way to pick me up at the bus stop, since I don't have my own car (we live in the middle of nowhere, with no metro stops nearby. "At this rate we'll be having dinner at 9!!"). I'm currently considering KMAB, which looks extremely strict, but if I come out a better dancer (and my self-esteem intact), then it works for me :)

Agnes1022

I will be in DC (Kennedy Center/Foggy Bottom area) for a week. Any recommendations for ballet schools that have walk-in Adult Ballet classes? I prefer schools in the DC area, not really looking to travel to Georgetown for class.

Hans

The closest studio I can think of to you is Joy of Motion in Dupont Circle. There is also the Washington School of Ballet in Cleveland Park as well as Maryland Youth Ballet in Silver Spring (but SS is rather a long way to go from Foggy Bottom). Actually, you will be quite close to Georgetown, but the only school I know of there is very small.

Agnes1022

Thanks Hans. One thing I need to say too is that I will be there in June, when daylight is longer, and that I am a serious walker (can easily cover 2 miles in 40 minutes). I need a school that is very close to a Metro line (I don't want to get lost!) if I need transport. Otherwise, I'll simply hoof it.

Will definitely not rent a car while in DC....makes about as much sense as renting one in Manhattan.

Banana Feet

You COULD walk from Foggy Bottom to Washington School of Ballet, but it would take you quite awhile to do so. However, you could also just take one of the buses that goes up Wisconsin Avenue (I think they are the 30s...not in the area anymore so don't remember for sure) that will drop you off right in front of the studio. It is also easily walkable from the Tenleytown or Cleveland Park Metro stations (straight shot from either).

MYB is off the Silver Spring Metro stop and it's probably about a 5-10 minute walk once you get off.

Redbookish

Hi Agnes1022, you might find this thread helpful.

Tips for Washington DC

I'm afraid in the end, I didn't get to any classes (naughty me!) as I'd been off for a long time and for all sorts of reasons didn't want to start back in an entirely unfamiliar environment. Also, I found that August incredibly hot! I spent my time in all the amazing museums in DC! I love DC -- I'm back there in April for work & can't wait!

I'm moving this thread to Pre-Professional Schools General Enquiries, as per our general policy about these requests -- you should get a few more responses from parents and/or younger dancers in DC, who can give you good first-hand information.

Agnes1022

Thanks everyone! Now my evenings will be filled with activities as well.

koshka

Please be aware that Arlington Center for Dance is in the midst of a move.

Classes will go on as usual until Sat, Feb 2.

There is an interim schedule for Feb. and March. See www.arldance.org for details and updates.

No permanent location has been announced.

As for cars in DC: it's actually not that bad. WSB and MYB have easy parking and are easy drives from Foggy Bottom, though parking in Foggy Bottom is potentially tricky. For reference, I routinely drive my car to performances at the Kennedy Center (in Foggy Bottom) and park on the street. It takes 20 minutes to get from my seat at the Kennedy Center to my home in Arlington using this method.

Depending on your situation, you might find it more convenient overall to stay somewhere in Virginia, where parking is easier and Foggy Bottom is only a stop or two away.

Agnes1022

Arlington Dance Center has announced their new location: 3443 Carlin Springs Road, Falls Church, VA (next to the REI and Tuesday Morning stores) in the convenient Bailey's Crossroads area, located at the confluence of Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church and Fairfax. The new facility is scheduled to open in May 2008.

I will be at the Embassy Suites on 1250 22nd St NW. The closest station is Dupont Circle Metro St. Any suggestions on how I can get to ADC from the hotel by rail?

cheetah

There is no direct rail into that area. I just did a quick search and found that you can take the metro to Ballston - you will have to switch at Metro Center and get on the Orange Line, headed for Vienna - and then take a bus. My search said Bus 25B towards Van Dorn, but I searched using today's date. A great trip planner is available at www.wmata.com. Under the left hand corner - under Maps and Stations - you'll see "trip planner." Key in the address on Carlin Springs as well as the date and time you want to visit (and that you want to leave from Dupont Circle.) If you are looking to just take a class anywhere and want a direct rail link, try Maryland Youth Ballet. They have Sunday classes, though the highest is Intermediate. But you can take the red line direct from Dupont Circle to Silver Spring.

koshka

Re Arlington. Yes, there is a space, but it is so far completely unknown when classes will actually start there. (Building permits etc). Cheetah is right that it is not metro-accessible.

For your visit I'd recommend MYB or WSB. Both would require use of transport, but both have a decent schedule of adult classes.

MichelleW

I've been away from ballet for about two years for various reasons (I got married, I got complacent, I changed jobs, etc.) but I'd like to start again. Meanwhile ACD is in the process of this move that seems to be lasting forever and I'm all the way out in Reston. I'm not overly fond of the once-weekly adult classes at Reston Conservatory. Anyone have any other recommendations in Northern Virginia? I'm in the adult beginner with a lot of training category, so I could take an intermediate class if needed because I'm not embarassed to try as hard as possible and give up when I've pushed too hard.

dancesmith

MichelleW,

You have some options very near Reston.

By all means check out Classical Ballet Academy in Herndon. They have several adult classes a week at both beginner and intermediate levels.

Also, the Fairfax Ballet/Russell School of Ballet is actually located in Chantilly. Their schedule also indicates several adult classes a week.

Both schools have websites.

Ballettmaus

Hi, I am looking for dance schools with advanced/professional level training in ballet and jazz dance in Washington, DC and the Virginia area, like Ashburn, Chrystal City, Alexandria and the likes. (of course I don't know all of them).

Another question - does anyone know a message board for jazz/modern dance and/or a good site to find auditions for jazz/modern?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Ballettmaus