Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest marathongirl

Ballet Schools in Washington DC

Victoria Leigh

Eva, the most well known schools are Washington Ballet, Maryland Youth Ballet, and the Kirov Academy.

firedragon0800
On 5/26/2010 at 11:02 PM, edgart6 said:

I would like to update this thread. After three years at a pre-pro school, my DD has opted for college. She will be interning in DC this fall and living at the American U. campus. The dance classes there will not fit into her schedule. Besides WSB (which she knows well since she has spent a few summers there) can any recommend a school that will have a strong advanced ballet in the evenings and weekends? She will need to take public transportation and prefers not too far.

Hi DD, has a similar situation to Edgart6 DD 2010 post, I'm sure he won't comment, so if anyone else has 2 cents... Right now WSB Professional Track B, like the best option cause the classes start at 3:30pm, Kirov is out, no real options for young adults and MYB and Abigail Francisco is too far from her campus in Foggy Bottom. Does anyone know of any other alternatives? Has anyone been able to do this? College offers dance, but that's not what she's going for, and ballet isn't their strong suit. She's committed to pursuing high level training, but to getting a college degree more, she is 17, and has been studying at a high level for 10 years.

Blanche

If she needs any flexibility at all, PTP B at WSB may be more intense than she might want--it's 4 hours per day, 6 days per week or more, but if she's used to the schedule, it might work. I don't know as well if the up front commitment in both time and money might also be more than she wants if it's her first semester in college. Both WSB (bus is about a half hour) and MYB (about a 45 min metro ride, or 20-25 minutes by car) have extensive adult programs that offer daytime, evening and weekend classes. MYB open classes attract a lot of pros on break and there are quite a few college students who take class regularly (5 days per week), so the level of students in class can be pretty high (even in Advanced Beginner).

firedragon0800

Thanks Blanche, she currently commutes six days a week 1.5 each way by train and dances 3.5 hours a day, plus regular classes at a public HS. So theoretically she could manage MYB, the question is how much different is college going to be. She' out the door from 7am to 9:15 pm every weekday, and 9:30am - 6pm. Also they have two big performances each year of four performances each so rehearsals can bump that amount up. I was thinking that WSB is actually not that big of a difference.

It sounds crazy but kind of more worried about her not being in a strong ballet program, she does seems to do better in school when she's dancing, the more the better. Level wise she's at the level most would be graduating to take on company auditions so level wise it might be under, over or just right, but I guess they would determine that.

So thanks for that info!

Edited by firedragon0800
Added performance rehearsal

CourtneyP

Firedragon0800, 

Check out Seber Method Academy on Wisconsin Ave. They are a pre-pro school, but they have lots of girls who opt for college and go to amazing ones. Very flexible, amazing staff all with professional experience. Recommend checking out their website then going in for an evaluation or trial class to see if it's a good fit.