Ballet Talk for Dancers

Any Canadians here?

Mr Robin

Hi

I'm just wondering if there's any Canadians on the board, especially people who live near, or know, Whistler?

I'm planning to take a three-five month break there during the ski season, but want to keep dancing while I do. I've found a school there that looks to have a good adult programme - (http://www.whistlerdance.com/about/index.html) - but haven't had any reply to the emails I've sent them...

Before I resort to phoning them, does anyone know this school, and whether it still exists? If not, does anyone know any other schools offering adult classes in reasonable proximity to Whistler? Alternatively, is there another Canadian ski resort of reasonable size that has adult classes available nearby?

Cheers,

Robin

Mr. Robin:

Banff, Alberta is a ski resort town. It is an excellent ski area (second to Whistler in Western Canada). The School of Alberta Ballet in Calgary offers adult ballet classes. It is around a 45min.- 1hour drive. (I believe). Here is the information:

Ballet 2 with Irene Weatherilt

Tuesdays 7:15 - 8:30 pm

This class is geared towards students who have little to no experience in Classical Ballet technique. It will establish the foundations of classical Ballet technique and encourage strength, flexibility, toning and a freedom of movement to music in an enjoyable atmosphere.

Dates: September: 20, 27 October: 4, 11, 18, 25 November: 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 December: 6, 13, 20 January: 10

Ballet 3 with Linnae Bellay

Mondays 7:30 - 8:45 pm

This ballet class is designed for adults who have some ballet experience and are looking to further develop their strength, coordination and musicality.

Dates: September: 19, 26 October: 3, 17, 24, 31 November: 7, 14, 21, 28 December: 5, 12, 19 January: 9, 16

As far as adult ballet classes- I don't know of any in the Whistler area (I don't live in B.C.). Vancouver would have many adult ballet classes but it is a fair drive. However, that does not mean there aren't any in Whistler!

I hope this helps,

Amy

Edited by Canadian Dancer

I would be intrested to hear about classes in canada, friends of ours are moving to calgary or possibly vancouver within the next year.

My better half also is very intent on visiting with a view to possibly applying to emmigrate too :D

Thank you kindly, Amy - I'll definitely look into that!

Mr. Robin:

Banff, Alberta is a ski resort town. It is an excellent ski area (second to Whistler in Western Canada). 

Banff is also *Gorgeous*!!!!! :D

Bummer - according to my resort guide, Calgary is actually a two-hour drive from Banff. And Vancouver (which also has some excellent-looking adult classes) is a two-hour drive from Whistler... So neither resort would be great for taking the three-four classes a week I have in mind, unless Whistler Dance come through!

From Whistler to Vancouver is a bad road at the moment that is being upgraded for the Olympics, Banff to Calgary is the Trans Canada highway which is better maintained but it can be treacherous with snow. I must seem like I am obsessed with the weather but after moving from the "banana belt" in southern Ontario to Alberta , I have learned that during the winter months you must always keep in mind that snow can change or cancel plans. :lol:

I would almost live in Calgary or Vancouver and commute to ski rather than try to live in Banff which is a ntional park and has limited housing or Whistler which is very expensive (just my opinion but I am not a big skier).

Mr. Robin:

Banff, Alberta is a ski resort town. It is an excellent ski area (second to Whistler in Western Canada). 

Banff is also *Gorgeous*!!!!! :blink:

The next conference of the Society of Dance History Scholars will take place in July 2006 at the Banff Centre for the Arts. Many presentations are about ballet :shrug: so if you need a break from skiing... :thumbsup:

Actually, I did have a look at Banff Centre's website, which has a section for community classes. Unfortunately, nothing was listed! But I should drop them an e-mail and see if any are planned for the new year - it looks like a great facility.

I would almost live in Calgary or Vancouver and commute to ski rather than try to live in Banff which is a ntional park and has limited housing or Whistler which is very expensive (just my opinion but I am not a big skier).

Hi mmded

Thanks for the information! You don't happen to know whether either Banff or Whistler have rail stations, do you? That would seem a faster and more snow-sure way of travelling in winter, but a brief look at the VIA Rail website doesn't show Banff or Whistler as having stations. Perhaps there are other rail companies in Canada?

Cheers,

Robin

I don't know about the trains, I think that Via rail is the only one, though. There is an RAD ballet school in Squamish that I have heard is fairly good. Squamish is approximately 50 km south of Whistler, so that may be too far for you to drive in the winter.

Here is their website: http://www.howesounddance.com/index.php

Good luck!

Dancemom

Hi Mr. Robin:

I live in Vancouver and can tell you:

1) I have never heard of the dance school that you have listed for the Whistler area. I would check out Dancemom's suggestions, as Squamish is not a long drive from Whistler.

2) We used to have regular train between N. Vancouver and Whistler, but it was a scenic journey (did it a few times for school trips) that took longer than the drive in. BTW, my husband and I make the journey between Vancouver and Whistler many times each winter and the drive is 1.5 hours each way.

3) Starting 2006, train service will recommence between N. Van and Whistler in preparation for the Olympics, but it will take 3 hours one way, and will cost $99 dollars according to the website.

4) An option is staying in Vancouver and skiing the North Shore Mountains (20-45 minute drive from downtown Vancouver) and commuting to Whistler to ski on the days that you want. Renting in Whistler is expensive (so is Vancouver, but not as bad), and is in limited supply. Don't know how often you want to ski, but this is a viable option if you want to ski at Whistler, say 3 days/week. You would at least be close to good ballet instruction in Vancouver (Harbour Dance).

I have also skied in Banff quite a bit and can tell you that the commute between Calgary and Banff is much shorter than the two hours that you were quoted. The distance between the two is 128 km and if you drove 100km/hr, you would get to Calgary in 1 hr 17 minutes according to the site I checked. Husband and I have done this commute many times, and under an hour is the norm.

Hope this is helpful information. Let me know if you have any further questions. :)

allegrafan

Hi allegrafan

Thank you for your help also!

Driving between Whistler and Vancouver would seem the best idea, though I had not planned on hiring a car while I was out there... Do you know if there are bus services?

I've been giving some consideration to staying in Vancouver, but I think I would prefer to be based in the mountains. I'd like to ski (board, actually!) four or five times a week, and the idea of waking up practically at the bottom of the mountain is very attractive. In an ideal world I'd be able to dance three or four times a week too, but you can't always have everything. And besides, I can dance in the summer!

It may be that I'm better staying in Banff and commuting to Calgary to get the best of both worlds. I believe that the three resorts close to Banff make up a larger ski area than Whistler anyway, and if Calgary is only an hour away it's pretty good. Again, do you know if there are bus services between Banff and Calgary?

Cheers,

Robin

Hi Mr. Robin: I live in Calgary and all my family have skiied and boarded at Banff, Sunshine, Lake Louise and Nakiska. Don't limit yourself to just 1 hill in the Canadian Rockies. You can go 1 1/2 hours past Lake Louise and ski at Golden , BC or go 3 hours south or more and ski at Powder Keg and Fernie. All these resorts have bus services so driving isn't a problem in the winter. The Banff cost of living is astronomical compared to Calgary and if you stay out there you will miss Calgary's vibrant arts scene too. That would be a shame!!!!

Another option for ballet clases is The International School of Ballet, the only other pre-pro school in Calgary. It teaches the RAD syllbaus and the head of the school is the person who travels around western canada making sure schools are doing things correctly. So the curriculum is sound. There are 3 classes available to adults, 1 for beginners and 2 for serious dancers. These last two classes are taught by the ballet mistress at Alberta Ballet or by company dancers, its a real treat for our girls. Anything else you need to know? tutumonkey

Hello again

I've come to the conclusion that Squamish would be the ideal place for me to be located - a class on my doorstep, Whistler forty-five minutes one way, and Vancouver forty-five minutes the other. Everything covered!

Now - does anyone have any idea how I could find a property to rent for the winter? I'm drawing a blank on Google!

Cheers,

Robin