Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest adancingartistforlife

Kirov ballet In The USA

greyhound

DD saw the Kirov perform LeCorsiar at the Kennedy Center in July. She said that one of the male dancers who was not the main principal stole the show. He received the loudest applause. She said he was "amazing".

twirly girly

mohnurka,

My friend :) (who is also on this board!) performed in the Kirov Ballet's Sleeping Beauty in LA this past week!!!!! Wish I could have seen it! It sounds like it was beautiful!

Merde to you! :)

Redstorm

This is something people should see. After all, how often do The Kirov and the Bolshoi, but especially The Kirov come to America? This time they are only performing in 3 cities in the entire country

If one is at all involved in dance, and they are near your city, you should be there.

If a person has any preconcieved ideas about what "The Ballet" is...this will set them straight. :)

ADAFL

greyhound

We are so very fortunate to have The Kennedy Center so close to us. The Kirov does at least 3 shows year in washington DC. I believe they have a residency program agreement with the kennedy center. I think it started in 2002. So we still have 6 more years of the kirov.

In 2006 the kirov will be performing William Forsythe Masterworks and Giselle in June

Edited by greyhound

pink_tutu

Twirly Girly!!!! :D:) haha

Just got done performing with Kirov...it was so fun!!

Next year, in Los Angeles, at the new hall built at Orange County Performing Arts Center, Mariinsky is coming... Their Opera and (of course) orchestra will be here, and Kirov ballet will be performing "Romeo and Juliet" and "Swan Lake." I can't wait!

"We are so very fortunate to have The Kennedy Center so close to us"

Yes you are. One of the great performance venues in the world. Doesn't the Suzanne Farrell Ballet perform there?

greyhound

yes, Suzanne Farrel ballet does perform at the kennedy center. The center has a great program for ballet dancers. You audition for a master class series. If accepted, you get to take master classes with the ballet companies that are performing at the center. This includes the Kirov.

They also sell tickets to the rehearsels. You can watch the worlds most famous ballet companies rehearse the upcoming performance for $12.00.

Redstorm

How would one audition to be in a Kirov performance? Is it similar to the Moscow Ballets auditions? (website and show up at the designated sight?) I know it would be something my dd would be interested in doing next year! What an honor and experience for those dancers who have had the opportunity!!

yes, Suzanne Farrel ballet does perform at the kennedy center. The center has a great program for ballet dancers. You audition for a master class series. If accepted, you get to take master classes with the ballet companies that are performing at the center. This includes the Kirov.

They also sell tickets to the rehearsels. You can watch the worlds most famous ballet companies rehearse the upcoming performance for $12.00.

They have begun having master classes at the Detroit Opera House as well. So far I have taken class with The Dance Theatre of Harlem,

(I was in center floor, messing up an adage, and who should be standing right in front of me, watching me - Mitchell! :D Almost had a heart attack :wacko: !)

National Ballet of Canada, and Les Grands Ballets de Monte Carlo.

(Quote: "Your dance heart is never going to stop beating, so your arabesque line should never stop lengthening")

The Kirov will be doing a master class there as well, with Gennady Selyutsky, their Ballet Master.

Can't watch rehearsals though. That would be nice.

cheetah

Redstorm - DS performed with the Kirov-Mariinsky (is this the same company?) two years ago at the Kennedy Center for their new version of the Nutcracker. Audtions were announced as an Open Call in the local paper. The announcement was for children's roles as well as for adult super roles. Resumes were forwarded first, then call-backs received via phone. The actual "audition" was standing in a line to see who fit the costumes. Very different from his experience with Moscow Ballet, where you had to actually dance. Of course, the children's roles with Kirov (in this case) had no dancing. My DS was a sewer rat (yes, really) though, so at least it was a lot of stage time. And an incredible experience. The man playing Drosselmeyer took all of the sewer rats (there were four) for bows at the end of each performance - so they were in the first row of the company dancers bowing at the Kennedy Center. Great memories for him!

DS would love to see Kirov do Sleeping Beauty. He'll have to settle for Giselle in June. He gets to to do the master class (that Greyound referenced) with them, though there's no open rehearsal for that performance. We're stuck buying tickets!

Memo
DS would love to see Kirov do Sleeping Beauty.  He'll have to settle for Giselle in June.  He gets to to do the master class (that Greyound referenced) with them, though there's no open rehearsal for that performance.  We're stuck buying tickets!

There was lots of dancing for the kids in Sleeping beauty plus roles as pages. It was very stressful because the rehearsal process was very short. They also added a part in the 3rd act for 6 very little girls which they taught them the day before they went on. But a great experience for them. They all got a birds eye view of Act 1 which was priceless.

:pinch:

Hans
DS performed with the Kirov-Mariinsky (is this the same company?)

Yes, it's the same. In Russia they're known by their old(er) name "Mariinsky," whereas in the US they are more commonly known as the Kirov.

pink_tutu

In Los Angeles, a local teacher was hired to run an open audition.

In Berkley, the SF Ballet School was in charge of the supers.

In Detroit, I'm not sure how they did this.

It was a great experience to watch the dancers from stage! We had 2 weeks of rehearsal, but it wasn't too stressful. The dancers and directors are really nice, and I think that most everyone had an enjoyable week of performing.

Redstorm

Does anyone know if they are selling DVD's of the Kirov at the performances? I am looking for any performance, not necessarily this particular one.

Guest balletandsynchro

Redstorm, I have had very good luck with Kultur video. They have a very extensive selection of ballet, opera, and other dramatic arts videos and DVDs. Here's the link Kultur :blushing: