Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest adancingartistforlife

Kirov ballet In The USA

Redstorm:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other screaming WOOHOO - what a ride!!"

I love it... :blushing:

Redstorm

Thanks ADAIFL - Looking at life this way has kept me sane over years...well, almost. :blushing:

Hans

When the Kirov danced Le Corsaire at the Kennedy Center, they sold the DVD of Corsaire with Asylmuratova and Pankova, so they may do the same thing at other performances.

musedesigns

Kirov in LA - some GREAT memories!

DD was chosen as one of the supers for the Golden Idol scene...one night got to ride the elephant, others she was one of the minions.

As a mom waiting at the cast entrance the AD came up and asked if I had tickets, told him no (his Russian accent was VERY heavy). He gave me his tickets. OMG! Unbelievable seats at the Kodak.

Got to see Nikiya (I think it was Diana Vishneva that night, I saw it a total of 4 times) came back out for her final variation in the Shades act with a HUGE coffee stain on her white tutu.

To the poster who said the corps tutus were unimpressive...I know that the fire at the Mariinsky store rooms didn't affect the major productions but I do believe it destroyed some of the touring stock. Maybe they were a victim? Just a thought because normally Kirov costumes are exquisite.

Edited by musedesigns

Guest BALLETisMYthingX

coming to the Detriot Opera House October 22nd && 23rd! I'm way excited, and I can't wait to see all the beautiful dancers I admire so much. :)

K8smom

Redstorm, what did you think? I was in WC this weekend, and read the review in the Contra Costa Times. Pretty positive, but not totally...

Here's the link if anyone's interested: Contra Costa Times You have to register (for free) and then you can just do a search for "Kirov" and it'll come up first...

Redstorm

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! :o:o

I was stunned by it. I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life. From the orchestra.....the solo by the violinist brought tears to my eyes....to the stunning costumes, strong male dancers (leaps to the ceiling!!) the ballerina's (corps to principals) the technique, strength, flexability.....

I loved it.

DD had her mouth open half the performance. :P

We went with another dancer and mom and while we were standing in the lobby, an older gentleman came up to the girls and asked if they were dancers. Both girls smiled and shyly said yes. He told them he could tell by their look. He was very complementary. Then, walking up the aisle right next to us was Murial McAffre (sp?) from SFB.

When we were leaving, we walked by the busses that were loading the orchestra. There was a member of the orchestra who was waving at the passerbys when he spotted my dd he started waving with both hands, jumping on his seat and tapping others around him to point. :shrug: He must have thought she was someone important??? It was so funny. DD waved back with a huge grin.

DD was in ballet heaven! :thumbsup:

Saw them last night at the Detroit Opera House. Pulling in, I saw cars with liscence plates from Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky...being that this was tho only Midwestern stop, people were coming from all over. The 4,000 seat Opera House was sold out..with an incredibly enthusiastic audience.

Guess I can truly say, "There is nothing like a Russian Ballerina"

Not to take anything away from all the GREAT ballerinas from otherdisciplines/cultures, (like Sylvie :wub: ) but these Russian women were unbeleivable.

Olesia Novikova as Aurora was everything; drop-dead gorgeous, :green: ,regal, an incredible actress, and a technical powerhouse. She was on her legs all the time (and you HAD to be...the stage was slippery...gotta hate that...up, up, up) her opening variation contained a Grand Jete (Saut de Chat) combination that had her bounding at least 4 feet off the floor repeatedly, but from the waist up, she was totally, quiet...regal. "I could do this all day" she seemed to say

Elena Vostrotina as the Lilac Fairy; Leggy, leggy, leggy! 6 o'clock a'la secondes. Her legs exist above her waist, which is true for a lot of dancers, but she has the placement and line to go with it! At the end of the Wedding Scene she came onstage and was standing in tendu back facing the audience. And you know what? It was TENDU BACK...straight behind! I was trying to look around her standing leg to see her working leg in back.

Leonid Sarafanov as Desire...the only thing I could say is "How old is this guy?" He looked like he was about 15! As usual though, an incredible Kirov Male Dancer. Somehow though, I expected more. I think the ABT Boys have spoiled everybody

...And Yana Selina as the White Cat and the Lightheartedness Fairy totally commanded my eye when she was onstage. Watching her perform, she made ME feel lighthearted.

I don't remember if Detroit is the second stop or the last stop on this 3-city tour, but if its the second, those of you with tickets for the third are in for a treat.

ABT Wannabe

I'm going to see the Kirov Sleeping Beauty tomarrow at 2pm. I am SO excited to see this. I have been waiting for a long time. :green: I wish I knew who is performing that night. I was hoping to see Alina Somova, or Diana Vishneva, because I know most about them, but I don't think they will be performing because they did opening night (I think?). Seeing anyone from the Kirov will be AMAZING and I am so excited!! :wub:

ABTWannabe

ABTWannabe-

According to what I got in the program, you will be seeing Olesia Novikova as Aurora (the same woman I saw...you won't be dissapointed, watch her jump, and watch her in the Rose Adagio) and Anton Korsakov as Desire, and you will also see Tatiana Amosova as the Lilac Fairy.

I'm tempted to go again! :)

Taking the Master Class tomorrow morning at 10 am. :D

Guest dancing<><piper

A few girls and a teacher from my studio took the Detroit master class today as well. I can't do things on SUndays because of church but that would have been such a great experience. Many people from my dance school went to see it last night but I couldn't :blushing: I know I missed something wonderful but I still can barely imagine it.

I did get to see the Kirov doing La Bayadere last year, which was a HUGE treat!! And in about two weeks I will be seeing Ballet Magnificat! which, though it may not be the best, is still as well loved by me as the Kirov :D

I couldn't make it unfortunately. Almost did. I was running late, and ALL THE STREETS WERE CLOSED FOR THE MARATHON :innocent: so I had to go all the way around Downtown to get within 6 blocks of the Opera House. I decided to go home, because I would have been late, and I would never walk into a class like that late.

How was it?

Were there any men there? Were they any good? There usually aren't too many. There were only two in the Monte Carlo class. However there were a few for the Alonso King class, about 10 I think.

Did you talk to any company members?

Lucky you...

Victoria Leigh

ADFL, I think you misread the post above yours...she said she did not go. :innocent:

By the way, please find the ADD REPLY button, or the Fast Reply button. You are hitting "REPLY button, and posting all of the previous post in your posts. Not necessary and a waste of space. Thank you!

ABT Wannabe

ADAFL,

Yes! I saw Olesia Novikova as Aurora that evening! She was absoulutely BREATHTAKING! :( Everything about her was perfect! Her musicality, her stage presence, acting ability, everything! Not to mention her beautiful hyperextension. The Lilac fairy, Tatian Amosova was beautiful as well! Her battements to the side was up to her ear! I was very impressed. The prince (the program is giving me mixed names, either Anton Korsakov or Leonid Sarafanov) was VERY good indeed, and my mom said the exact same thing! He looked 15. :sweating: My other favorite dancer was Tatiana Tkachenko. She was the orange fairy in the prologue, amongst many other great parts, and she was the Diamond fairy. I thought she was so beautiful! She stood out. She has amazing musicality, techinque and everything. She had such a healthy look about her also. Overall, this was the most amazing ballet I ever saw. It was so beautiful. The corps and the orchestra were outstanding!! :D