Ballet Talk for Dancers

University of California, Irvine

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on UC Irvine? They have a very large department with quite a few faculty. If anyone has been there I would love to hear what they think about their program. Thanks so much.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DancingGirl

• DegasDancer

• Amie

• dancemaven

Ed McPherson

I think Leslie Peck is a great teacher. My understanding is that it is more modern based. The graduate program has pioneered quite a bit of the intigration of dance and technology.

Can't comment specifically on undergraduate training in ballet, but UC Irvine is considered internationally as one of the top research universities in the UC system for research in the performing arts. Some very good people working there.

FYI, UC Irvine is probably one of the "youngest" UC campuses in California, and they just celebrated their 40th anniversary.

My local paper reported that currently the campus has about +20,000 students, but they plan to continue to grow to over 30,000 students by 2016. Though the campus is still primarily a commuter school with a small campus life presence, they are doing a TON of construction, including lots of new student housing being constructed. The paper also reported that UCI's future goal is to try to have campus housing for about half the students. (Don't know how many students now live on campus.)

Dance_Scholar_London

I believe that they provide a joint PhD programme with UC Davies

Bubblegirl864
I think Leslie Peck is a great teacher. My understanding is that it is more modern based. The graduate program has pioneered quite a bit of the intigration of dance and technology.

Leslie Peck no longer teaches at UCI. She is now on faculty at SMU in Dallas, TX.

• 10 months later...

From what I hear, it seems to be a more ballet centered program. Modern dance colleges don't usually have Men's ballet class, classical partnering and pointe class on in their course catalouge.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know the policy on taking class outside of UCI? Some colleges/programs forbid students to dance anywhere else and I was wondering if this is the case for UCI.

Also, just bumping this thread to see if anyone has some first hand experiences with the program...

This is not first hand info, but I have seen many UCI students taking classes and continuing to dance at one of the local ballet schools while at the university. I have never heard about such a policy.

Update: Leslie Peck is no longer at UCI, she's at SMU.

We've encountered no prohibition against students taking outside classes at any of the colleges dd and I have checked out, though UCI was not one of them.

I believe that they provide a joint PhD programme with UC Davies

I am not aware of this program, and believe it would be quite difficult as the Irvine and Davis campuses are over 500 miles and a 9-10 hour drive apart... :wink:

You are right, the joint PhD is with UCSD.

http://drama.arts.uci.edu/phd.html

Thanks for the correction/update.

That seems feasible as the cities of San Diego and Irvine are around and hour's drive from each other This program sounds like a very interesting opportunity that I was previously unaware of.