Ballet Talk for Dancers

Online Videos: Amazing turner!!!!!!!

LittleSeaShelb

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Wow, Hans! That is a LOT of threads on this topic! :) Good for you!

Skittl, the turned in turns that she does are more spins than pirouettes. There is so much less expected in terms of form, not to mention rotation and foot position, that people are able to execute more turns this way if they have a center and are naturally good turners. This child could probably also do a fair amount of turns in ballet, if she were trained to do it, as she is obviously a natural turner. And she has the hyperflexibility to do all sorts of things well. However, it is impossible to even know from watching this if she has any rotation or not, or if her feet are really good or not, since, although they pointe, one really can't see the shape of the foot in that work she was doing. If she does have all of these things, then she would certainly be a candidate for a fine ballet dancer! :)

Unfortunately, she is evidently working with someone who values only the tricks, has no musicality, no choreographic ability, and is nothing more than someone who can create a "show biz" performance. Too bad.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all i know is that if i were dancing to "All that Jazz" when i was a 9 yrs old or even now my mom would have a total spasm! :)

those were definitely spins. if you watch her "spot" its nonexistent. she immediately looks at her hands in front of her and just turns until she stops. CRAZY!

"And now, back to our regular programming- Professional Dancers who are amazing turners" :D

haha thanks Clara76.

the first video is simply stunning. i had heard about her this summer, but the people i had been talking to couldn't remember her name. and when i realized this was her... wow. haha. and although her legs are not sticks, i personally find them sooo much more beautiful than the stick legs that seem to be all too common lately.

a question for anyone who can answer.

how on earth is her center so... well centered. there is not on moment shes off. is that something thats natural for her? i figure it is, but i thought it was worth asking.

id love to see more videos of her... or even better see her dance in person!

Don't mean to veer off topic again...

I love Sofiane Sylve. I've seen her dance many times on stage at the State Theatre with NYCB and I think her body is beautiful. She's an incredible technician and charismatic as a performer.

But I'm not comfortable with the tendency to refer to small bodies as "sticks". I'm always hearing about how nice it is to see a "real" woman's body on stage. I don't like the implication that skinny is somehow less than a "real" woman. Or that skinny is unhealthy. For some people, it's totally natural.

Looselegs2---I'm totally not meaning to attack you at all. But it's something I read over and over, and I just wanted to say something about it. I look very thin, but I'm strong, I eat, and I'm healthy. I think that small ballerinas look etherial and beautiful. It makes the technique more transparent. There's room to appreciate all kinds of body types with the various roles and choreography out there.

Mrs. Stahlbaum

Sofiane Sylve can be seen as Aurora in Sleeping Beauty with the Het Nationale Ballet. The DVD includes "extra features" that show her rehearsing Sleeping Beauty and a short biography/interview with her.

Why is it that most really great turners are men?

We get to know about men who turn largely because their choreography exploits multiple pirouettes. Women don't usually get a 2-bar break to finish a final pirouette at the end of a variation. But they do get to do those 32 whatchmacallits.

And...women have to turn on one TOE. I generally find that I can balance much longer in retire on demi pointe than on pointe.

Alexandra Ansanelli can pull some pretty amazing turns. It's especially interesting to me because she doesn't have a lot of natural symmetry in her body. But she consistently turns extremely well.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Patricia Neary, NYCB dancer from the 60's and 70's was an amazing turner. There is a principal dancer in Washington Ballet who is also quite wonderful in everything, including turns, and her name is Michele Jimenez. :D

Archived