Ballet Talk for Dancers

On pointe but not confident.

Guest Ballet_Dancin_Freak

Hey everybody!

I have had my pointe shoes for a while now, but I don't think Im confident in my pointe shoes yet! Do you have any tips on how I can strenthen my legs and feet in my pointe shoes?

Thanks! :)

• Administrators

Hello Ballet Dancin Freak, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :)

I'm afraid that tips are not appropriate until we know more about you and your training. How old are you, how long have you been studying ballet, and how many classes a week do you take? How long are the classes? How long have you been on pointe? Do you have good feet, good alignment, and good use of your rotation?

Editing to add that I just saw your post on the Welcome forum, where you tell us you are 14 and have danced for 7 years and on pointe for 2. Good. Now just tell us about the number of classes and the length, and perhaps a bit about your physical facility, like the feet, alignment, rotation. :D

I take two classes a week. Tuesdays and Thursdays. They are about 1 and a half hours long. I do pointe on Thursdays. My feet are strong, my ballet teacher says so. This may seam like a silly question, but what do you mean by good alignment, and good use of your rotation?

• Administrators

The reasons you are not confident in your pointe shoes have to do with the training, or lack of training. First, two classes a week are not enough to train a dancer to the level of pointe work. Working on pointe once a week, once you are technically ready to do that, is not enough. And, if your training has not taught you what alignment and use of rotation are, then I think you might begin looking for another school, ASAP.

No offence, but if you were looking for the meanest thing to say, I think you just said it!

I posted this topic to get some feet strenthening tips, or pointe exersizes I could do at home, or something! But instead, you dis my dance school. :rolleyes:

Actually, what Ms Leigh said was the KINDEST thing she could have told you. You may love your school and the people in it, but the schedule you described simply will not give you the strength on pointe that you said you were looking for. Ms. Leigh was simply telling you the truth about the kind of training necessary to dance successfully on pointe. MANY schools put students on pointe, but never train them properly. The fact that your school has not taught you about good alignment and rotation, along with the schedule you describe indicates that you DO need to look elsewhere if you want to improve. I've personally seen this kind of situation several times, where students come to my daughter's studio, having danced elsewhere for several years. They are SHOCKED to learn that the training the had received was inadequate. The ones that truly want to learn accept the truth and work hard to get where they want to be. Others leave in a huff because the weren't placed in a high enough level (in their opinion). The truth may not be pleasant to hear, but in the end it is the only way to get to where you say you want to be...confident and strong on pointe. You can't make up for lack of good training at home. There are no shortcuts. Good technique and more technique and pointe classes are the answers to getting stronger...exactly what Ms Leigh said. :rolleyes:

• Administrators

Thank you, Amy'sMom, for explaining it so well and so nicely. Even though this is the YD forum, I'm going to leave your post, and hope that our new student will rethink her reaction. I was certainly not trying to be mean at all! :rolleyes: But, when a question is asked, we have to give the truth in the answer, even if it is not what they want to hear.

Ballet Dancin Freak, I'm sorry that you were upset with my answer, but it was not intended to be mean at all. Please look at the "Sticky" threads at the top of the forum, and read the one entitled "Facts of Life About Pointe Work".

Sorry for what I said. I was just a little upset that you would say I would have to look elsewhere. Thanks for repling Amy'sMom and Ms. Leigh.

And I'll certenly check out the "Facts of Life About Pointe Work" Sticky.