Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest Phantomsgirl

ballet schools for 20 yr. olds

Guest Phantomsgirl
:yes: I am new on this forum, but does anyone know of pre-professional or professional programs for a twenty yr. old. I have done ballet for about 4 yrs. and I am really serious about training to be a professional. Is it to late????

shulie

Most pre pro programmes take people up to age 18 or 20 maximum in rare cases. Plus it does not look as if you have had enough training to even apply for a pre pro school- depending on the quality of your previous training you will be on an advanced beginners to maybe low intermediate level after only 4 years of ballet training which clearly is not enough for your age group to apply for a pre pro program. 12 year olds can apply as advanced beginners but a 20 year old is expected to be on a professional level ready for a contract with a major company.

I am sorry.

balletbooster

phantomsgirl,

I was unclear about whether you were looking for a residency situation or just a ballet school? If you are looking for residency, NCSA, NBS and RWB have post-grad programs. But, they also have high expectations for those entering those programs. Other than that, I do not know of US/Canadian schools that offer post grad programs. But, most company schools do offer adult classes and you might be able to transition into the pre-pro program, once you achieve the necessary level. Without seeing you dance, we have no way of knowing where you are in your dance training and how feasible your goal is, at this time.

You might also want to look into college programs. You will find that there is a wide variance in the admissions expectations in the various college programs and also in the track record they have for getting jobs for their grads. Looking at college programs would also allow you to earn a degree at the same time, which could come in handy, if you find that you are not able or not interested in pursuing a ballet career after your college training.

I'm going to close this thread and ask that you spend some time reading through the threads on the Pre-Pro and Residency schools that already exist, as well as the College threads. I think many of your questions will be answered there and you can narrow down the list of schools you might be a match for you in this way. Then, if you have specific questions about a school, please post them on the threads that are already open.