Ballet Talk for Dancers

When To Practice At Home?

Guest afroballet01

Guest afroballet01

So Major Mel closed my other thread,but I was still wondering at what point in one's training can they start to practice more than demi plies and tendus at home?

• Administrators

When you have enough knowledge to know what you are doing without building in bad habits, and, when you have a decent space to work in and a floor that will not damage your legs and feet.

• Administrators

Your teacher and you would have to be the ones to determine that. We can't see you, and we can't know how much you know about how to do things correctly.

• Administrators

Yes, if your teacher says that you know what you are doing.

Guest afroballet01

Alright,thank you!This was the kind of advice that I was looking for with my other thread!

Are there any tapes that you would recommend (ballet,workout,pilates...)?

afroballet01, since you are on the Young Dancers 13-16 forum, perhaps you might consider that a few dancers/teachers with more experience than you are trying to tell you it is not a good idea to practice ballet at home. Maybe the time you will know what to do is when you doubt that you are able to give yourself class. Ballet is an activity that needs to be monitored/observed by others. Stretching is one thing, giving yourself class is an entirely different thing. As has already been suggested politely and with great care...demi plies and tendus are about all that one can really do without a teacher, at your age. This is not personal, just a fact.

• Administrators

No, there are no tapes that I recommend. I believe that you need to only work on things that your teacher has assigned you to work on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jballet

There's no need to get frustrated. Listen to the advice of others who know much more than you do. Ms. Leigh has been doing this for years and years - she knows what she is talking about. At my school, even the best, most advanced dancers don't practice on their own at home. They come to the studio and work in a room (when there isn't a class going on) where a teacher can see them through the viewing window or can be in there helping them with placement and steps that they need to practice. This ensures that they aren't developing bad habits and practicing on a floor that will damage thier knees or feet.

Safety should be first. Believe me- its better to avoid an injury.

!!! I've pratised at home for the last half a year everyday 7 times a week for more than an hour! Now I hear that this isn't good? None of my teachers ever say I'm doing something wrong or I have a bad habit (except for remembering to keep my hands not facing the audience but i've fixed that) My teachers often comment on my improvements in strength e.t.c. Now this has got me worried..aahhh! I don't think practising at home has ever ever harmed me and I need to because I'm in a class with people a year older than me. Ugh now I'm worried that I'll do something wrong =(