Ballet Talk for Dancers

Cary Ballet Conservatory

Does anyone know anything about this program?

Thanks!

Caroline

Back when I danced with Carolina Ballet, I taught at Cary Ballet Conservatory a few times. It is a wonderful atmosphere! The studios are very spacious and the staff is very friendly. A few dancers with Carolina Ballet teach, so there is professional instruction. I also recal a former dancer with Boston Ballet teaching...amazing! Check out their website. It's definitely a school worth looking into.

premaballerina-- you used to dance with carolina ballet? thats cool i probably would know you if i knew your name cause i live near cb and see every performance and have been in some of the performances before. wow now im all curious about who you are :blushing: its not exactly about cary but if you want to go to a school in north carolina i would recommend Raleigh School of Ballet!!! it has really good training with lots guest of teachers that dance with pro ballet companies or used to dance with really good companies. lots of the dancers go on to pro careers or get into really good pro schools. if you are looking in the cary/raleigh area check it out!!! http://home.mindspring.com/~raleighballet/

~littlegelsey

• 3 months later...

Cary Ballet is a wonderful school- I have been dancing there since I was 5 and I love everything about it! The teachers are amazing and everyone there is very friendly! We have beautiful studios, and the overall atmosphere is very nice. I would definately recommend it to anyone looking for a ballet school in North Carolina. :sweating:

• 1 year later...

i saw cary ballet's recital yesterday, and plan to attend some classes there this summer but i was wondering if anyone that attends there now could tell me a little about it.

• 1 year later...

I'm hoping someone will be able to update on the current "graduates" (if any) in this program and what their plans are for next year. If they have company positions, please let us know if those are trainee, apprentice, corp and then male/female. This information helps others track the true success of the program from year to year.

• 3 years later...

Momof3darlings: I know I am posting this a few years after you have posted, but I currently go to Cary Ballet Conservatory and would love to answer anybody's questions about this school!

So, graduates from last year all went to universities (some to major in dance and some on the dance team). A few graduates over the years have joined professional ballet and contemporary companies. Lauren Lovette is one example I can think of. She is a corps member with the New York City Ballet, and she went to Cary Ballet! Some girls and guys who have not yet graduated, have gone away to pre-professional schools too! There are so many people I can think of that have gone to Cary Ballet, and then gone on to UNCSA. And at least one person I know went to SAB's summer intensive and was invited to stay!

So the thing is, the "success rate" of this school is hard to judge because so many people take classes here without the goal of a professional career. But the teachers are amazing, the studios are beautiful and professional, and the programs can be rigorous. So you can definitely attend this school/program and make it into a pre-professional school and/or a professional company! :)

Again, if anyone has questions about this school, I would love to answer them!

• 3 years later...

I would like to know more about this school. I know that it is a new residency school but not much more except that Mariaelena Ruiz came there last year from the Rock and that I've heard she has a good reputation. Does anyone have an update on the school? Our son will be 15 in January and although he's just about set on going to another school 10 hours away from us, this school is much closer (4 hours). He is looking to finetune his technique (he's a relatively new dancer) and taking men's classes with other boys. He has had more Ballanchine influenced instruction thus far. Any feedback would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

The training at Cary Ballet is very good. My daughter has been a student for about 8 years and is currently in the new day program. I believe you could arrange to visit and have your son take a trial class. The staff and teachers are very helpful and friendly. There are also some videos on You Tube and their Facebook page of some of the summer intensives and shows.

This year there is only one male in the day program although there are a few other younger boys in the afternoon program who are also in the ballet company. The day program has class from 11:00 - 1:30, rehearsals from 2-4 and then afternoon/evenings classes depending on their level. Four nights a week for the upper levels. Then on Saturdays they have company class and then more rehearsals. The ballet company performs a Nutcracker show in December and a Spring Gala in March. There is also a Spring Recital in June which is for the entire school. If you have other questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

• 3 months later...

adjars, what are the ages of the other boys in the afternoon program?

Are students able to take other styles of dance along with ballet?

I've not been able to find much info on Mariaelena on the internet besides her CBC bio even though she was at The Rock previously.

• 2 weeks later...

The other boys are about 11 or 12.

The day students take contemporary as part of their program, usually one class a week. The evening program offers jazz and tap along with ballet but most of the day students don't take those and they aren't part of their regular classes.

• 2 years later...

Any recent reviews of this program, specifically reference the day program/boarding option? What style is this program? How many boarders are there? Thanks!

We went and visited in the spring and auditioned for the year-round and my daughter was accepted but we decided that she would spend another year at her home studio. The teachers, parents and students were very friendly and welcoming. The style...I'll have to ask my daughter, as it didn't strike me as being one particular style. It wasn't overly Vaganova or Balanchine. They have a house that is down the street from the studio where the boarders live. I believe there are maybe 10 or so students (boys and girls) who live in the house with a house mother. It is a lovely house and a very short (5-minute) and safe walk to the studio. Space is very limited so you have to be invited to live there. The studios are very nice. They have an academic program now and an academic director. Seems like a very well-run program...we were impressed with our visit.

abirgirl thanks for your feedback as this program is on my radar also. Do you know when housing invitations were sent out in relation to acceptance to the year-round program? No housing is a deal breaker for us so it is something that we'd need to know in a timely fashion, especially if there isn't room for her.