Ballet Talk for Dancers

auditions

RainDancer

Where can you find out about auditions for ballets? I'm 14 and I'm not a great ballet dancer, and my family doesn't have a lot of money......but I would really like to at least try sometime to audition for a ballet. Like...how actors can audition for children's theater or stuff like that, is there anything like that for ballet? Is there anything on the internet? How do people find out about all this stuff? I'm clueless.... :shrug:

ya me too. where do you find this stuff out. also ballet workshops or summer intensive???

• Administrators

Well, for Summer Intensive information all you have to do is go to our own SI forums! We have the info on all the auditions for the SI programs, or will have as soon as they are all posted, plus, we have the reviews of all the programs from previous years. There is a whole section here on SI's! :wacko:

All of the SI programs also list their audition tours in Dance and Pointe Magazines. They will be in the Dec. and Jan. issues, which come out in Nov. and Dec. Perhaps also the Feb. issue, out in Jan. Most of the auditions take place in Jan. and Feb.

For performance opportunities for children, that would depend on where you live. If you are not in a school that produces performances for their students, then perhaps you should look into a pre-professional school. Students from company affiliated schools often get to perform childrens roles with the company, and advanced teens also sometimes get to perform in regular corps de ballet parts. In larger cities, when major ballet companies come to perform, sometimes they also audition for children for certain roles, but the audition notices usually only go to recognized pre-professional schools in the city.

Well, Im only 13 and how i found out about auditions was i just asked the ballet mistress at my company. They might be able to give you a list of some great SI auditions. They usually cost 10-30 dollars (the ones i went to--Boston,Pacific NW, were 20$ each..) to audition. But even if you dont plan on going to the SI (like me) i would still go for a great experience! ((oh yeah and my first time i did HORRIBLE,, and i got on the waiting list which is better than not getting anything at all so i did better than TONS of people there!!))

*pb

• 2 years later...

Uhhhh...phoenome, the School of American Ballet is a lot more than a "camp". It's a truly serious school for the truly serious dancer.

• Administrators

That's why they are called Summer Intensives. All of the major schools have SI's, not camps. Camp is where you go to swim and do arts and crafts and hike, and sleep in a tent.

• 4 weeks later...

I find all my SI info on ballet talk!! :P Then, if I found it, I show it to my mom, or if she found it, she shows it to me. Then We look at the website, and if it requires an audition, we see if I can go to an audition in my area. :wacko: It's fun just looking at options, and soon you'll see how many SI there really are! (And no way is SAB a 'camp'!! B) )

• 5 months later...

Rite before april or may Pointe Magazine or Dance magazine usually comes out with an issue for SI's, what ones are good, a huge list of schools to audition for and Do's and Dont's for the actual audition...

• Administrators

Actually, scdancer, the audition notices in the magazines are in December, January, and February, since the auditions are in January and February. The December issues may not have all of them, but the January issues will have them, and those issues come out in mid December.