Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Schedule question

toedancer

I am supposed to have two pointe dedicated classes a week(plus pas de duex) but today my teacher decided to just have us do pointe for barre and flat for center in one of the classes so that we can concentrate on moving fast in technique. I want to build strength and improve my technique on pointe too :wink: , so I was wondering if taking an extra beginning pointe class a level down would be beneficial. Thanks for any advice. :(

Better to add an additional technique class one level down, to work for mastery. Improve basic technique and the pointe will follow of its own accord.

• Administrators

Sounds like this is a situation where the teacher has a plan, and a reason for doing what she is doing, which is probably what she feels is best for this group at this time. I thinking trusting her would be the best idea right now. And, if you add another class, I agree with Mr. Johnson.

If you tell us your age and level, and your schedule, we could have a better idea of whether this is a good plan or not.

Thank you so much for the advice. :) I am thirteen, and I am in level 7/8 (officially I am in level 7, but the two levels are combined) out of a school with 9 levels. I have been on pointe for about a year. My schedule is this:

Monday: pointe 3:30-5:00

Tuesday: technique 4:30-6:30 modern 6:30-7:30

Wednesday: technique 3:30-5:00

Thursday: pointe 3:30-5:00

Friday: technique 3:30-5:00

Saturday: technique 11:00-12:00 partnering 12:00-1:00

The class my teacher changed from pointe class to a half technique class is monday. What if I added the lower level pointe class to tuesday, plus a another technique class one level down?

• Administrators

For a 13 year old, I think this is a pretty good schedule, especially since Monday is now more tech. than pointe. I'm not at all fond of starting off the day with pointe, much less the week! Right now the tech. classes are most important, as long as you getting pointe several times a week. If you are also having rehearsals on pointe, I think you are okay. With this schedule I think I would trust the teachers choices. It is well more than most 13 year olds have.

So you don't think I should add anything? I would really like to improve and get stronger.

• Administrators

Is there a tech. class you take before the pointe on Thurs., or a pointe class after the Fri. tech.?

when i first started pointe, i really wanted to do more classes to improve, but as no more were offered, i waited until i was comfortable with basic steps(siple rises and releves on one or two feet) and practiced these simple excercises at home. i was surprised how much this strengthened my feet. If you are gooing to do this, check with you teacher first that she thinks this is ok as you don't want to injure yourself practicing excercises the wrong way, and keep it to the basics as they are all designed to build up the basic strength you need for pointe. I can't guarantee it will work for you, but from experience it did work for me.

There isn't a class I can take before thursdays pointe class because 3:30 is the earliest class for the upper levels. I might be able to take fridays technique class on pointe but I don't think that I can take a pointe class after it because levels 5, 6, 7/8, and 9, all have their classes at the same time on friday. :)

• Administrators

Then I think you should leave it alone for now.

Ok, thank you. :) Would Belle's suggestion be possible? (sorry I have so many questions!)

It would be doable, especially with the part about the "clear it with your teacher"! :)

Warm up a little bit before, with demi-pliés and tendus, and a few relevés or elevés to demi-pointe. Don't spend long on these "homework" sessions. Just keep it simple. Fifteen minutes might just be perfect.