Ballet Talk for Dancers
Pattec1

Auditions: Photos 101

CVan

Thanks, NYCMOM

twinkleandturn

Wanted to recommend mpix.com for really inexpensive, matte, high quality prints.  Fast shipping and there was a really neat "cell phone" sized picture print that actually printed out DD's arabesque without cropping out fingers or toes (which happened when I printed at CVS, even though the photo on-line looked correct).  The "cell phone" sized print seemed around a 4x6 print, but it may be able to be scaled up.

We were new to printed audition photos (and audition photos in general), so I had prints done from CVS (disaster), snapfish (okay, but cropping was an issue for arabesque pic and quality not as nice as mpix), and mpix (hands down the best and most professional looking).

Hope this helps someone else more efficiently and inexpensively print pics!  

Noodles

We use Costco...you can upload your pics and place the order online. They are usually ready same day, or at least that has been our experience the last few years.

CVan

We ordered through Walgreens; for matte photos you have to order and they are delivered, rather than same day pick up.  Very happy with the matte photos.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Oinkteller

These are great suggestions, thank you all! 

motherhem

When my dd did company auditions last year she used 4x6.  At least one website said 4x6 was preferable so we used 4x6 for all of them.  Most of them didn’t specify a size though

Just be certain to read the website for the requirements and follow them.  Every company/program we looked at had different requirements from the other companies.  

dancerdancer

This year I think my daughters will be using 5x7 because their photos look best cropped at that size. Orlando requests 4x6, specifically, so they’ll do that for Orlando. The rest 5x7. I think the general advice used to be 8x10, but that doesn’t seem to be the standard, lately. My daughters did one company audition last year, at their then home company, and they said they thought they were the only ones who brought 8x10. The smaller photos are much more affordable, so I’m happy with that change.