Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Technique

Guest kristindancer27

Guest kristindancer27

I'm HORRIBLE at fouettes.

I've never began learning them until now, but my teacher says there's no point in me working on them this semester (because we've already started our dance for Open House and aren't doing any technique anymore) because they're too hard and it took her 10 years to finally learn one properly.

Well, in a part of our dance, there's four girls who do five fouettes. I've been really watching them, observing their positioning of arms, leg, etc. I then started trying to do them myself infront of a mirror. It IS hard, and a challenge but since I've been practicing its gotten better! I can do continuous circles, its just the turnout of my leg I need to work on because sometimes I flop it wrong and I end up falling over.

Is there any advice you can give me on how I can do fouettes better, so I can show my teacher the improvement next semester?

Thanks!

Kristin

• Administrators

Kristin, I'm really sorry, but you are a beginning student taking ballet once a week. And now not even that because evidently class has been given over to rehearsals, which is never a good thing. There should always be class, with rehearsals separate. In any case, beginning level students, or even low to mid-level intermediates, do not do fouettés. Trying to do something like that before you have the technique to do it will only build in very bad habits that will be extremely hard to change later. Fouettés are an advanced level movement and should not be taught to once a week students. I think you need to find a real ballet school if you are serious about learning ballet.

Guest kristindancer27

Ok, I'm sorry. I guess I'm thinking too far ahead.

I've been figure skating for 14 years, and can land jumps in triples, and do spins so I guess I thought it wouldn't take me too long to pick up the spins in ballet. I'm just adventurous i guess.

I don't know how you are so familar with my level in ballet though. I call myself beginner, but I took lessons for three years before I decided to stick to only figure skating (which was five years ago, but I'm still more capable in the technique than a real beginning student.) Your answer was helpful, but a little on the patronizing, condescending side. You assumed too many things.

But thanks for the reality check.

Have a nice day.

Kristin

• Administrators

Kristin, you call yourself a beginner ballet dancer in your profile, and in your other post about pointe work you said that you had 3 years of training earlier, but did not say how long it had been, nor anything about the training. However, you said you are taking one class a week. And from the sound of the school, if they are dismissing technique classes for rehearsals, it's not a school for the study of ballet if you wish to proceed to a level to do fouettés and pointe work. There is a very large difference in skating and ballet, and pirouettes, which require rotation, are quite different from spins.

Moreover, fouettés are really a trick.

Just look at photos of some of the can-can dancers from the Toulouse-Lautrec age. They probably hadn't a day of ballet training in their lives, but were doing 8 shows a night where they did grands jetés into splits (ouch), grands pirouettes while doing jambe à la main, and fouettés in high heels. I don't want even to speculate where they got all that strength and flexibility, but they also were 40 and looked about 70 in the photos! :)

Guest kristindancer27

Thanks Mel Johnson for the help! :)

Victoria, I'm sorry, I guess I didn't fully clarify:

I'm not at a school for ballet. I'm a university student and these classes I'm taking are offered at my school's atheletic complex as "special interest" courses. They have ballet, tap, rockclimbing, eating right, and all sorts of things. My teacher is a university student herself, but is still qualified to teach as shes done work with the National Ballet of Canada, and teaches at a school in Ottawa.

So no, I'm not at a real ballet school but maybe I will consider going to one next year.

Yes, I realize pirouettes are different from spins. I think I'd find them a lot harder had I not been used to the figure skating technique though. But thats just me.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Kristin

That's right; in ballet, the important thing is not just getting around in the turns but doing them gracefully with correct turnout and port de bras.