Ballet Talk for Dancers
odette922

AM I taking enough ballet?

ballet_lover5678
Well, sometimes this has to be done, and, while it's not optimal, if the training is really good, then you might be okay. We can't recommend a new school just on that basis alone. Would you like to tell us more about your schedule, your age, and your level? That would help us to know more about the training you are receiving.

The training is pretty average. He is a wonderful teacher but he has no interest in it whatsoever. Here is an average schedule:

Monday:

5-6:30 technique

6:30-7:30 rehersal

Tuesday:

6:30-8 rehersal

Wednesday:

4:30-5 private lesson

Thursday:

6:30-8 rehersal

Friday:

6:30-8 technique (with center on pointe)

Saturday:

10-11:30 technique

11:30-1 rehersal

That is just an average schedule. It's usually more or less than the hours above.

Victoria Leigh

The schedule is showing rehearsals every day but one. It seems to me that some of that could be dedicated pointe classes. A larger concern is that you say the teacher has lost interest, but is a wonderful teacher. That somehow does not compute. He might have been a wonderful teacher, but if it is true that he has lost interest, then he is no longer a wonderful teacher. :D Perhaps he is just older and not physically able to do more hours? I can't do as much as I used to do either, because if I do then I cannot maintain the same kind of energy for everything. So, I teach less now, but, hopefully just as effectively as ever. If he is still very effective in the classroom, then fine. But, if not, then you might look around for a different school.

Krystyna

Gee, i'm 16, nearly 17, and i only get 3 hours of ballet a week, then 11 hours of dance in college during the week, but not all of those classes are practical..

i was trying to get to extra classes but i can't afford it.

is ballet just invented for rich people?! not being offensive, but it sucks to me that some people who are younger than me take more dance than me and sometimes they even hate what they do, yet i can't get to more classes because college runs late with rehearsals and choreography classes.. and i want to study dance as a career.

:D

should i try to get more ballet classes in and stuff then?

Victoria Leigh

Krystyna, I'm a little confused about the college dance classes. Are any of them ballet? If not, and you are only getting 3 hours of ballet a week, (is that two classes of 90 minutes each or 3 of 60 minutes each?), this will certainly not get you into a classical ballet career. How much previous training have you had? You are so young to be in college! Were you home schooled, or is that normal in the UK to be in college at 16?

Editing to add that I just read your post on Welcome, and I see that you have studied for many years. But I still need to know the quality and quantity of that training. I see also that you speak of college and university as different things, so could you clarify that for us, in terms of where you are in school at this point in time? Thank you :D

Krystyna

To clarify, i live in the UK so when i say college i think it's the same as High School in the US?

With my ballet classes i get 2 classes of 90 minutes, and at college i study contemporary dance and only one hour a week is ballet. my previous training is dubious, the last ballet exam i took was grade 4 RAD but i studied grade 5, but could not take the exam because i moved out of my home and could not go to ballet classes during that time. i currently study at a free class, which is based around grade 4/5 ISTD dance which is slightly harder than RAD because it's not a set class and i have to do excercises on the spot as they are told to me.

i'm teaching myself the RAD intermediate (as i said on my welcome note) and although it isn't easy my mum refuses to take me to another ballet class and since i can't drive until my birthday and i pass my test it's hard to get to any other ballet classes.

i am aware it's incredibly late in my life to attempt to get into ballet as a career but i am still trying as i have worked hard to get this far, and i'm willing to work more. do you think there is anything else i can do, apart from getting more classes?

Edited by Krystyna

ballet_lover5678

Miss Leigh,

He is physically able to do more because some days he does do pointe class. It's just that there is no consistency in his teaching. For example, one day he says to pull for foot under you head for pirouettes on pointe and the next day you have to go to your leg instead.

And because of this, once this season ends I'm going to a different school where I would have always have pointe classes and rehersals are not during class times.

Thanks for answering my posts!

Victoria Leigh

Krystyna, I wish I could be more encouraging, but intensive ballet training is really essential to achieve a professional level. And of course, without seeing you, we also have no way of knowing your actual potential for a career in this field. You need to get to a professional type school, where there are daily classes in technique and pointe, and teachers who have the ability to assess your facilty for ballet, and, if you have the facility, then provide the quality and quantity of training needed. Is there any way that you could at least get somewhere to be evaluated for this type of training?

purpletutu

My school is so small and almost no one else besides me wants a professional career in ballet, and we don't have that many hours of classes. I go only 8 hours and I'm 14. I know that's definitely not enough, but do you think I'd have a chance if I went to the school that's attatched to a company in the fall, if I could get into thier pre-professional track? Then I'd have around 13-14 hours of class, and I'll be 15.

-Purpletutu-

Victoria Leigh

purpletutu, you would certainly have a better chance than if you stay where you are.

Krystyna
Krystyna, I wish I could be more encouraging, but intensive ballet training is really essential to achieve a professional level. And of course, without seeing you, we also have no way of knowing your actual potential for a career in this field. You need to get to a professional type school, where there are daily classes in technique and pointe, and teachers who have the ability to assess your facilty for ballet, and, if you have the facility, then provide the quality and quantity of training needed. Is there any way that you could at least get somewhere to be evaluated for this type of training?

So basically, I'm a little bit stuck, seeing as there aren't any better ballet schools locally, and I can't afford to go to the RAD for private classes and I can't get transport to any other weekly classes.

:grinning: I don't know any other ways to get involved in ballet schools, and I can't get scholarships because my family earns too much money.

I don't know any other way of being evaluated for my technique or anything to see if it is even worth me trying to be a ballet dancer and if I should look to modern/contemporary dance instead, but I really would like to try anything to become a ballet dancer!

Victoria Leigh

What about a residence school? Where are you in the UK? Can you get to London?

Krystyna
What about a residence school? Where are you in the UK? Can you get to London?

I can get into London quite easily on the train, but resident schools are generally very expensive, fees well over £10000 a year, which is money I don't have access to.

Do you know how I could find a resident school in London? because the ones I have found are the really expensive ones, or impossible to get into at my ages like Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet and places like that?

CDR

Sorry, CDR, but this is the Young Dancers board. I had to delete your post.

[Edited by Victoria Leigh]

dwcgirl

i take 13 hours a week of strictly pointe and ballet...and im 15...does this sound right?

Victoria Leigh

Depends on how it is distributed, dwc. It sounds minimal to me. Give us the break down day by day.