Ballet Talk for Dancers

AM I taking enough ballet?

odette922

Hello! I was just wondering if I am taking enough classes- I hope to one day be a professional ballet dancer. :) I study classical ballet, if that has anything to do with my level, which is intermediate 4. (Next is advanced.) I'm 14 and here is my schedule:

Monday- ballet 2 hours (1 hour pointe and 1 hour flat)

Wednesday- ballet 2 hours (pointe)

Thursday- ballet 2 hours (pointe)

Saturday- ballet 2 hours (flat)

I wish I could take more, but this is all my studio offers for my level. Do you have any suggestions?

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• Mel Johnson

• Clara 76

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

I do hope the pointe hour on Mon. follows the hour in soft shoes. Are the other 3 classes all pointe? I think you need more technique classes that are not on pointe, at your age and level.

Oh, oops! I'm sorry! Yes, the pointe follows that flat on monday.

Oh and I forgot the second part- yes, the wed. and thurs. classes are on pointe and the saturday is on flat. Hmmmmm... I'm trying to find out how I can take more classes, though.

For that, you're going to have to be willing to travel some, and have a means of reaching farther out to another school and return if you want to get, and I also think you need, more classes.

am I taking enough to be professional?

I take 16+ hours of technique a week plus 1-2 hours of pointe since i'm sort of a begginner.

oh, i'm 13

:]

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

How do you get 16+ hours of ballet technique a week, Dana? Do you take two classes every day? And, by 'sort of a beginner', do you mean in your first year of pointe?

I usually take 2-3 1.5 hour classes a day,5-6 times a week. sometimes more, sometimes less. :ermm:

and i've been on pointe for about eight or nine months, but my teacher says i am "advanced for how long ive been on" so i can do harder stuff correctly than the other girls in my class

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

In my opinion two a day, every day, is way too much, and a third technique class is WAY WAY too much. :ermm: At 13 years old, you are still growing, and I do not think this is healthy. One good technique class a day, at your age, should be quite sufficient, with some additional pointe time 3 or 4 days a week. Slow down! Overkill accomplishes nothing.

the thing is though, i'm never tired

and my classes arent all up to my level.

i usually take beggining one each day just for technique

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Three barres in one day is totally overkill and overuse of the same muscles. Not necessary and not good.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Well, that is very different. You made it sound like there were 3 technique classes, which would, of course, include 3 barres! Technique, pointe and then rehearsal is just fine. (Please check spelling of rehearsal.)

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Dana, slow down! You spelled barre correctly in your previous post, and then in this one you spelled it bar! :shrug::)