Ballet Talk for Dancers

AM I taking enough ballet?

odette922

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Not bad, but I would like to see another pointe class in there.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• Mel Johnson

• Clara 76

chicagodancer27

Yes, I know that it would be great to have another one, but next year I will have 2-3 pointe classes a week. Also, over the summer i will be doing pointe three times a week at my summer intensive. Also, at my summer intensive it says that there is a class called muscle awareness, could someone please explain to me what that is? Thank you!

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

That is good that you will have more pointe next year, and also this summer.

Muscle awareness would be a class where you would learn learn what muscles in your body are used/needed for what exercises/work/positions. Should be a very helpful course! :)

It sounds like a good class, chicagodancer27!!!

Here is what I decided I'd do, also turns out I was mixed up about the days for some things!

Monday 90 minute technique, 60 minute jazz, second jazz class if homework/energy level allows

Tuesday 90 minute technique, 60 minute pointe, extra ballet class if homework/energy level allows

Wednesday 90 minute technique, 60 minute teachers assistant

Thursday 90 minute technique, 60 minute pointe, optional lower level class

Friday 45 minute floor bar, 90 minute technique en pointe

Saturday 120 minute modern

So I could drop the third class on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday or just temporarily if I needed to on any week.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

That sounds good, Dancer576. Floor barre class should be good, too. :cool2:

Balletpointe201

Do you think that if you want to be a professional ballet dancer, you should only be talking ballet class? Like, no jazz, tap or other? For example, right now I am taking 8.5 hours of ballet tech a week, but 13 to16 hours of dance in total per week. The thing is that at my school, (I'm switching next year to a much more rigorous and serious ballet school) they only offer that much. And 2.5 of those hours don't even come from my school. I go on Wednesdays to a better ballet school. Also, in my area, I havent been able to find a school that has enough weekly classes. Do you think it is necessarily a bad idea to take class at 2 different studios, so you can get the class time in? I really don't like the idea of not being totally committed to a single studio. Thoughts?

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Since you are switching next year to more serious ballet school, will that not solve all of those questions? There is nothing wrong with taking other forms of dance, but if you want to be a classical ballet dancer, then your priority has to be in that area. Your post is a bit confusing. Can you give us a bit more information on what your schedule will be like in the fall at the new school, and also tell us about where you are dancing this summer, and how old you are. That would be very helpful to us in being able to help you!

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Okay, you answered my questions in your post on the Welcome forum, so, I'm going to ask one more. For next year can you get into NYC from where you are? Train or bus or subway?

Balletpointe201

I'm 14 and next year my schedule will be mostly ballet and pointe, with maybe a jazz class or two every week. This will probably add up to 13 to 16 hours in total. This summer I'm going to cpyb, which I have heard is great.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Oookay. I thought you said you were going to go to a more serious pre-pro school next year?

Balletpointe201

Yes, I am. I'm doing those classes there.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Ah, very good. So you have found a new school! Interesting. You must have found it between 1:39 and 2:12 this afternoon, since in the 1:39 post (on the other topic about classes in Poughkeepsie) it sounds very much like you do not know where you are attending next year. Again, confusing posts. :shrug:

Balletpointe201

Yes, but I haven't totally decided. From what I have heard and read, it sounds like a great school, but I'm going for a trial class on June 16th and I will decide from there. Thanks for all your help!

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Okay, that clears it up a bit.