Ballet Talk for Dancers

AM I taking enough ballet?

odette922

Dancergirl114

I also have a class time question,

I take ballet 6 days a week. Two of the technique classes are taken either fully, or at least with the last couple bar combinations and center on pointe.I take two pointe classes a week (in addition to the technique en pointe). My issue is these classes are all too short by fifteen minutes. Five of the six ballet classes are only 1 hour and 15 minutes. On Saturday it's an hour and a half. The pointe classes are also only 45 minutes. One teacher does go 10-15 minutes over, but officially all weekday technique classes are only an hour and 15 minutes and all pointe classes are 45 minutes. 

That said, I love the teachers. They give me personal attention I never could have gotten at my old big name (not 3 letter, but still big name) studio. I feel I have improved so much because the teachers pay attention to me. When I got a correction at my old studio, it might have been the only one I got that week, or for the next two. Now I get correction after correction, and can actually see improvement in myself. 

But, amount of attention aside, I'm still only getting in 9.25 hours of technique class and pointe combined. Could it be enough to make it to a professional level if it increases next year? I am 14 years old.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• Mel Johnson

• Clara 76

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

As a teacher, I find that I cannot really get a full technique class, with a normal amount of correction and explanation, done in less than an hour and a half. I guess if the class is really small, like 5 or 6 students, it would go faster because of less groups to do the combinations in the center, but with classes where two or three groups are needed, you just can't get a solid barre and a full center into less than 90 minutes without giving up on really teaching it and just "giving" it. There is a big difference there. And, that hour and a half does not include pointe. A 45 minute pointe class is also a bit short if part of that time is used putting on the shoes. If not, then it's not too bad, but, as you know, an hour is better.

So, it's not a matter of the total hours as much as it is how the hours are used. Six days a week of technique and two pointe classes are okay for this year, but hopefully the classes will be longer next year and at least one more separate pointe class.

I also have a question about class time. I don't take a lot of ballet, as my studio offers SO many styles of dance! I really want to go to a pre-pro school next year. I am 13. Anyways here is my schedule...

Mondays: (ballet is 6:45 to 7:45) (tap is 7:45-8:15) (musical theatre is 8:15 to 8:45)

Tuesdays: (I teach classes from 4:30 to 7:00) ( ballet is 7:45 to 9:00)

Wedensdays: (ballet is 6:45 to 7:45) (jazz is 7:45 to 8:30) (contemporary is 8:30 to 9:15)

Thursdays: ( choreography is 5:30 to 6:00)

Saturdays: (Competition team practice is 8am to 9:30 am) ( I teach classes from 9:30 to 11:30)

And for competition i have 2 ballet numbers. It isn't ballet class but at least I am doing ballet. Also, Tuesday night ballet is the only technique class that I have. Monday and Wedensdays are pointe. I know this isn't enough ballet training, as I hope to pursue a career in dance, but my mom doesn't understand. help!

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, carlyeeeeee. :)

It sounds like you are at a rather typical competition studio. The amount of ballet you are receiving is very, very little, and you should not even be on pointe with that kind of training. And what in the world are you doing teaching anything at 13 years old??? I'm sorry, but that is not what you should be doing with your dance hours. Get your mom to start reading some topics on this board so that she can learn what ballet training is all about!

DanceDreamer-

Try doing a search on this board in the "Finding a Pre-Pro School" forum for ballet schools in your area. I think you may find some better options.

• 2 months later...
abunchofbunheads

I'm 13 and I take 14 hours of ballet a week :) I hope to be a professional

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like it is recommended that 13 year olds dance about 5-6 days a week....but curious about this because JKO has their thirteen year olds coming in 4-5 days a week, but SAB has their girls coming in 6 days a week from younger ages. Why is it that ABT has a more relaxed schedule? Is resting really important for younger dancers?

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Every school has slightly different schedules for their young dancers. Four to five days a week is also fine at 13, as there is a lot of growth during the 12-14 years, usually, and that's not a time to do too much.

• 3 weeks later...
flyingpancake

I go to a small dance school that majors in little kids. I'm almost a teen, an I'm taking 5 1/2 hours of class a week. I was reading some other posts, and that dosen't look like much. Should I also take extra classes at another studio, if I'm not taking enough dance?

Edited by BurtonPawlick
  • Administrators
Victoria Leigh

BurtonPawlick, I think that you should look into other schools.

Now, we have to address the fact that you are here and not yet 13, so I am going to have to restrict your posting privileges until you turn 13. You can let me know when that happens by writing Contact Us, and that will come to me. You will still be able to read the board, but not post. Our rules on the registration page clearly state that you must be 13 to register, but your registration will still be here. I will just need to reactivate your posting privilege.

I would also strongly recommend that you send me a name change, so that you are not using even a part of your real name on the board as a display name.

I'm sixteen years old and have been auditioning for year round programmes to start in six months time (I am from NZ ) I was wondering if I am dancing enough at the moment to build up enough strength to make a safe transition to fulltime training? This is my timetable currently :)

Monday: 2.00 technique, 1.15 pointe

Tuesday: 1 hour body conditioning, 1.30 Technique (on pointe), 1.15 modern

Wednesday: 2.00 pointe

Thursday:1.15 technique, 1.15 pointe

Friday 1.30 technique/variations, 1.30 contemporary 1.00 Allegro

Saturday: 1.15 technique

Edited by Millyc33
  • Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, millyc33!

Your schedule looks good! Do you also have some rehearsals and performances?

Towards the end of the year when we do our annual performances we have extra rehearsals during the weekend- But not throughout the year, also if we are working towards a competition, we have weekend rehearsals but again its not a regular thing

• 3 weeks later...
balletpassionforpointe

I am 14 and my schedule is:

Monday: ballet 5-8:30 (pointe is 7:30-8:30)

Tuesday:

character 4-5

rehearsal 5-8

Wednesday:

ballet 3:30-6 (pointe is 5-6)

Private lesson 6:30-7:30

Thursday: ballet 6:30-8:30 (pointe is only 1/2 an hour today, from 8-8:30)

Friday: ballet 4:30-7:30 (pointe 6-7:30)