• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• Mel Johnson

• Clara 76

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Carlyeeeeee, I really don't even know how to deal with a schedule like that. It's just crazy! Jumps, Tricks and Turns??? That is not ballet. You have 45 minutes of a ballet class, then that, and then Pointe for an hour??? What has prepared you for pointe? You don't have enough ballet to even be on pointe yet. Have you read the qualifications for pointe work in the Pinned Topics called Facts of Life about Pointe Work?

I mean, if you want to be a musical theatre dancer, fine, I guess, but it's definitely not going to make you a well trained ballet dancer. And it seems to lack any real focus. It's just all over the place. If you want to be trained in ballet, you are going to have to leave that school. Sorry, but those are the facts.

• 5 weeks later...

I just got my class schedule for next year, and it looks like I will have around 9 hours a week with about 3 of those being ballet. (my studio does not really focus on ballet, more of an all-around approach.) My goal is to get a college degree in dance education and become a teacher at a small local studio, like the one I am at now. Does that sound feasible?

lexa97, if you are also not focusing on ballet and wish to teach 'dance' at a 'dance' studio, you may be able to attend a local college and get some sort of dance degree and do just that.

However, most reputable universities with serious Ballet or Modern programs will be looking for dancers who have completed a professional ballet program through a recognized academy or recognized teacher/s. I guess it depends upon what you are looking to do, and now would be the time to start investigating college programs to see what they require and how that fits with your goals!

Okay thank you! I think I will probably be looking at other aspects of colleges also, besides just their dance program. But I do want to keep my options open- I guess I should start researching!

• 4 weeks later...

Monday: technique 1.5 hours, pointe .5 hours, another technique class 1.5 hours (adult int/adv class)

Tuesday:technique 1.5 hours, pointe .5 hours, lyrical 1 hour

Thursday: technique 1.5 hours, pointe .5 hours, Pilates .5 hours

Friday: 1.5 hour class at lower level on pointe

Saturday:technique 1.5 hours, pointe .5 hours, half hour private

=11 ½ hours I believe (only counting technique and pointe classes)

Is this enough for a 13 year old considering professional career?

Edited by maplebunny
Ballet_Girl99

I'm taking 5.5 hours plus per week at 14, with hopes of becoming a professional...Is that ok or how many hours should I be doing?

moostachiojoe

This isn't my current schedule (my current schedule is horrible) but this is my proposed schedule for 2014. Would it be enough training for me to catch up? I am 14 and have restarted this year after taking several years off.

Monday: RAD Advanced 1 Syllabus and Open - 6:00 - 7:30

Tuesday: RAD Advanced 1 Syllabus and Open (incl. Pilates) - 5:30 - 7:00

Wednesday: RAD Intermediate Syllabus and Open - 6:00 - 7:30

Thursday: RAD Intermediate Syllabus and Open (incl. Pilates) - 5:30 - 7:30

Friday: Contemporary - 4:30 - 6:00

Saturday: RAD Advanced 1 Syllabus (exam intensive) - 10:00 - 11:30

It is a combination of RAD Intermediate and Advanced 1 in order for me to make up that amount of hours. I am currently taking Intermediate Foundation classes as I only restarted recently and am working to 'catch up' to everyone else in my age group.

Would this schedule work? (I will be turning 15 next year).

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Maplebunny, your schedule sounds quite good.

BalletG_Girl99, need more specifics on your schedule, but it does not look like there are enough classes there. You should have technique classes of 1.5 hours at least 4, preferably or 6 days a week, plus extra time for pointe work. Are there any other classes, like modern or jazz that you take in addition to the ballet?

Moostachiojoe, not so sure about that schedule as I don't quite understand all that is being put into the time frames. I mean the combining of RAD and Open and Pilates all in 1.5 hours? And where are the pointe classes?

New members, here is a topic with the Guidelines for training:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=54924

moostachiojoe

I am not exactly sure how the class is spread out timewise as it is a different studio from the one that I am currently at. I think that the pointe classes aren't separate and are just at the end of lessons? I'm really not that sure but I thought that this schedule may be better than my current one. (2 ballet, 1 modern, 1 acro).

Another possible schedule would be

Tuesday: Adv foundation syllabus - 4:45 - 6:00

Thursday: Adv foundation syllabus - 6:15 - 7:45

Saturday: Jazz - 11:00 - 12:00

Syllabus - 12:00 - 1:30

Contemporary - 1:45 - 2:45

Open - 2:45 - 3:45

Which one would be better? This one or the one I posted previously?

I know that both of them aren't ideal however it is the best possible schedule that I can come up with for schools in my area.

Another option would be to stay at my current studio (competition/recreational) however I think that moving to a ballet focused school would be better for my training.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

The previous one. It is at least every day, 6 days as opposed to 3.

• 2 weeks later...
musicaldancer

I'm not too sure about my schedule for this year...compared to other users it seems rather minimal.

Monday: Ballet technique 1.25 hrs (I'm on the waiting list for a stretch and extension class afterwards)

Tuesday: Pre-pointe & stretch 1 hr

Thursday: Ballet technique 1 hr

Friday: Ballet technique 1.25 hrs, Ballet Choreography Workshop 45 minutes

Saturday: Ballet technique 1 hr

4 hrs 30 minutes technique + 1 hr pre-pointe + 45 minutes Workshop (possibly Nutcracker rehearsals) = 6.25 hours

Is this okay? This is my first year going to a pre-pro school, and I'm sort of a late starter (I came from a recreational school where I didn't learn real ballet), so my classes are about one level below my age group. The only other technique class I could add would be on Wednesday for 1.5 hrs, combined with a level lower than me.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

I would add the Wed. class if you can. Your hours are minimal, but because of your late start, that is not too unusual. Just do the best you can do add anything you can at this point.