Ballet Talk for Dancers

AM I taking enough ballet?

odette922

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

It's better than nothing! Maybe next year you can go away to a longer SI. :)

Are there any open classes at any other studios during the summer?

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• Mel Johnson

• Clara 76

Thanks so much! I will see about a longer SI for next year.

About the open classes- yes! I found another studio with some classes I might be able to take. Does a combined technique/variations class count?

#Balletdancer

Sorry for another one :)

I finally got my schedule for the fall.

Monday- 1.5 hours ballet technique, 30 minutes pointe, 30 minutes touring company rehearsal

Tuesday- 1.5 hours ballet technique, 30 minutes pointe, 1 hour touring company rehearsal

Wednesday- 1.5 hours ballet technique, 30 minutes pointe, 1 hour Pilates/conditioning

Friday- 1.5 hours ballet technique, 30 minutes pointe, 1 hour touring company rehearsal

I know it's not 5-6 days but it's 11.5 hours a week. And I will probably be walking/riding my bike to and from the studio most days. My studio is moving to a new building during the summer, and it's only 1/4 mile away from my house! So my mom is excited about not having to drive every day!

And hopefully I'll be a teacher assistant at least once a week for an hour or so.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

#Balletdancer, remind me of how old you are, please. It is not bad if you are 13/14, but if older than that 5-6 days are really highly recommended.

#Balletdancer

I'm 15.

I probably won't make it in the professional world. I have the "opposite" proportions of a "dancer body" short legs and a longer torso but I'm not even 5'3. And I have bulky leg muscles (all of them). And I've only been on pointe for a year or so. My studio does not offer any classes on Saturday or Sunday.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Since you have studied a relatively short time, especially pointe, I think that your schedule is fine for now. Maybe you could add a class on Thursday, even if it is a different level? Have you investigated other schools in your area, since you seem to be somewhat unhappy with your school?

#Balletdancer

I've actually been taking strictly ballet for 12 years this fall. They used to offer modern and hip-hop but the studio only had 1 classroom for 5-6 years so it was really hard for them to offer many extra classes. This is actually the best studio in the area (and the cheapest!). The only classes that are really offered on Thursdays are 4 levels below me or one above.

musicaldancer

Hi! :D I've been taking ballet for a full year now, and I started pointe in May. I turned 14 in May and I will be going into high school this year. This year I will be joining the pre-professional program! The Level 10 classes teach Grade 5 R.A.D. and the one Levels 12+ class that I take is unset, but I think that it will follow Vaganova. This is my 2014-2015 schedule:

Monday:

Pointe 5-6

Ballet Level 10 6-7:15

Tuesday:

Intermediate Foundation Ballet 4-5:30

Pirouettes & Allegro 5:30-6

Wednesday:

Ballet Levels 12+ 5-6:30

Thursday:

Beginner/Intermediate Stretch & Pilates Props 5-5:30

Ballet Level 10 5:30-6:30

Saturday:

Intro to Intermediate Foundation Ballet 10-11:30

Pre-Pointe & Stretch/Beginner Pointe 11:30-12:30

6 hrs 45 minutes of technique class + 30 minutes of Pirouettes & Allegro + 2 hours of pointe + 30 minutes of Pilates = 9 hrs 45 minutes

I know it's a little bit less than the recommended amount of classes and training hours for my age group, but I am happy just to have worked up to this point and to improve! If all goes well with high school, my mom allows me to, and I feel like I can handle it, then I will probably add on a Russian Character class for an hour on Wednesday and another technique class on Friday for an hour and fifteen minutes. I also was recommended to join a pre-intermediate pointe class for an hour after ballet class on Thursday in December. I am hoping to become a professional, and one of my teachers has been encouraging me, saying that she really thinks that I could be a professional dancer! :D As for now, I think I will just work hard and enjoy myself in class! :lol:

Well, your schedule is confusing to me, musicaldancer. I don't understand why there is a pointe class before a technique class, and all the different levels don't make sense. I also don't understand classes that are only covering several parts of ballet rather than a normal class. Is this school a recognized school? Is this more of a "jazz competition" school? Why is there both RAD and Vaganova offered?

musicaldancer

I understand how the schedule can be a bit confusing, I myself don't know why I was placed in a pointe class before my regular technique class. Is doing pointe before regular class dangerous? If so, then maybe I can drop that class and opt for another pointe class after technique on Thursday. If this clears things up a bit, the levels are all even numbered this year, so there is no level 11 in between 10 and 12, and I think it is a bit common to be in between levels. As for the Pirouettes & Allegro class, it focuses on the breaking down the technique behind pirouettes and jumping. I'm not positive on how this class runs yet, since I have not taken it yet, but that is how it was explained in my recommendation letter. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a recognized school, but it does host RAD exams and it is very well-respected as a pre-professional ballet school. It is not at all a competition school, very little of any other form besides ballet, some modern, and contemporary is offered. Also, only certain classes teach RAD, so it is possible to sign up for a couple level 12 RAD classes and a few unset level 12 classes. I would also be learning Vaganova from a very experienced teacher (she was actually a professional ballet dancer in Romania). Would learning two different training methods hamper my technique at all? Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I just can be a bit curious! :) By the way, thank you for reading my very long post!

Got it!

Ok, so definitely no pointework before a full dedicated technique class. Definitely take from the Vaganova teacher as much as you can too!!!!!!

musicaldancer

Okay, thanks so much! :D

Oops! a parent wandered into the Young Dancers' Forum by mistake and a post was removed.

Stressedoutmommy, if you would like to ask your question in the appropriate Parents' Forum, please do! :thumbsup:

starlightdreamer

Hi there! I am a late starter (14 and been taking ballet since I was 11). I am now at a recognized pre-pro academy in my state that I started at in January (level 5), and this is my tentative schedule for next year- I will have moved up to level 6, as announced yesterday- YES !! :clapping::huepfen:

Monday:

Tech- 1.5 hr

Pointe / Variations*- 1 hr

Tuesday:

Tech- 1.5 hr

Jazz- 1 hr

Wednesday:

Tech- 1.5 hr

Pas de Deux- 1 hr

Thursday:

Floor Barre / Mat Class- .75 hr

Tech- 1.5 hr

Saturday:

Floor Barre / Mat- .75 hr

Tech- 1.5 hr

Character- 1 hr

Jazz- 1 hr

Modern- 1 hr

*- denotes that the pointe / variations class is almost always pointe :)

Thank you !!

PointeBella

Hi ballerinakat, based on your schedule I know which school you are referring to and as a heads up, pointe classes are hardly ever given since technique classes will run through the pointe class. You should expect pointe classes to be once a week at most.