Ballet Talk for Dancers
odette922

AM I taking enough ballet?

Victoria Leigh

Okay. Well, I would like to see longer classes, and some non-syllabus classes as well. Perhaps there are some open Adult Classes you can take. :)

You will find a good bit of discussion about pointe for adult dancers on the Adult forums. :)

Balletlover19

My studio doesn't do adult classes or classes longer than this for my grade. My teachers all have me dance with people younger because I fit in with everyone nicely and I've improved so much since I switched to this studio. It's a really good one since it's a preprofessional studio. And thanks.

Edited by Balletlover19

Rolly123

It's been a while since anyone posted so I I hope it's okay that I post here:

Hello! I turned 16 a few months ago and for 4 or 5 years, I've been taking ballet at 3-4.5 hours a week and a little pointe in RAD. However, everything I learned has a bad habit attached, so my true level is in between beginner to intermediate.

This year I changed to a different studio, so I had 2 hours of tech, contemporary and pointe (I initially had an extra 1.5 hr tech class, but was unable to continue it consistently ), for a total of 6 hours a week in Vaganova method. At 16, I know my chances of becoming a classical dancer or contemporary dancer is unlikely, but they're still my aspirations or I would like to at least become the best I can be.

This is the schedule I am planning on having for next year starting September:

The classes with * are the ones I'm unsure if I should take

Mon:

1 hr tech ballet III

1 hr tech ballet IV.int

1 hr of contemporary* OR pointe I-II*

[Tue: TBD (I'll try to find a tech class in RAD at a diff. studio or cross train. There's also 1 hr of character available at my studio)

Wed:

1 hr tech ballet IV

1 hr tech ballet III

1 hr pointe II-III

Thur:

1 hr tech ballet II*

1 hr tech ballet IV.int

1 hr of contemporary

Fri:

1 hr tech ballet IV.int

1 hr pointe III

Sat:

1 hr lyrical jazz*

1 hr pointe II-III (I'm not sure why there isn't a tech class available prior)

I'm unsure why each class is only 1 hr long, but I believe it is because my studio only has 2 studio rooms and it's the only way to fit all classes after school. It's is a very good school though and it's the best professional school I can get for now. Because my true level is lower than it should be for a 16 year old, I am short 3 hours of technique classes and 2 pointe classes for the level I should* be at. The level I took this year is ballet IV.int (equivalent to year 6th out of 8) and I am re-taking it next year along with lower levels because I need to fix bad habits. If my teachers move me up after completing next year, I should have enough classes for 17. If I continue on track, I'll complete advanced ballet by 19 (but that still might not be enough though...).

On Monday, should I take the pointe class or contemporary? I think I should probably take pointe, but I sort of wanted to improve in contemporary too... For Thursday, should I take ballet II? The only thing that is stopping me is that the other students will be about 4-6 years younger than me (and probably better than me haha). I should swallow my pride and take that class, right? Also, since I won't be taking jazz, is lyrical an okay alternative? I wish I could turn back the clocks and have gotten better training earlier or trick everyone into thinking I'm 12, but that's kind of impossible :P But I'm happy that I found BTFD, and got so much good advice!!!

Sorry if I wrote too much and thank you so so much for the help in advanced :D

Clara 76

Monday, I would do the Pointe class. "Contemporary" doesn't need much more than the 1 hour you're giving it Thursday, as there is not set syllabus for that genre. You'd do better to take more pointework. I'd like to see you be able to do a ballet tech. class Tuesday as well, and if you then do Character, that would be ideal.

Wednesday looks okay.

Thursday might have to happen temporarily until the teachers feel you have been able to accomplish the work.

Friday is okay.

Saturday concerns me. You should ideally be able to have a full ballet technique class prior to pointe, however there are schools all over the place who start kids off cold in pointe shoes. I guess that one we may have to wait-to-see to be sure you aren't developing any pains that could turn chronic.

Rolly123

Thanks for the helpful answers! I registered for classes today and went with the pointe class for Monday. On Tuesday... it really depends if I have enough time between classes to get to character, because it's a different studio and it's at least a 40 min drive. I'll try though! I didn't end up signing up for ballet II on Thursdays because my teacher didn't think I needed it, because ballet III is already 2 levels below my "level". I can try and sign up later on in the year though if I should.

We always do a few barre exercises to warm up before we put on pointe shoes. Is that okay?

Also, about my question about lyrical... there has been a change so I have to take jazz to take lyrical. The thing I'm troubled with is that I'm very shy and it takes time for me to come out of my bubble... I tried taking jazz earlier this year for a few weeks, but the teacher wasn't really patient with me and the teacher made me feel really bad about myself. If I take jazz in September, it will be a different teacher though. I haven't registered for it yet because I'm a little un-confident...

Have a nice weekend!!!

Clara 76

Jazz is like ballet but without rotation in the legs, for the most part, and it will give you a chance to discover how your body can move in different ways! I am so sorry that a teacher made you feel bad.........as hard as it is try to do your best to never allow anyone to make you feel bad about YOU. Life is too short.

Try your best in Jazz and you might find yourself liking it if you give yourself over to it.

Rolly123

You don't need to apologize, it's not your fault! Thank you for your words of wisdom Ms.Clara :) it really makes my day and I'll be sure to bring your advice with me!!!

i'monpointe

Hi! I'm new here. I'm 16 years old and currently training at a trainee level at a well-known ballet school in Tampa, Florida. Here is my new schedule. Is it enough?

Monday:

1:30 to 3pm- Ballet

5 to 5:45pm- Stretch

5:45 to 7:15pm- Ballet

Tuesday:

2 to 2:30pm- Ballet

3:30 to 4:15pm- Partnering

4:30 to 6pm- Ballet

6 to 7pm- Pointe/Variations

Wednesday:

1 to 2:30pm- Ballet

4 to 5:30pm- Ballet

Thursday:

2:30 to 3:30pm- Pointe/Variations

4:30 to 5:45pm- Contemporary/Jazz

Friday:

3 to 4pm- Tap

4:30 to 6pm- Ballet

Saturday:

10:30 to 11:30am- Ballet

aspirant_dancer

It's been quite some time since I've posted, I haven't had much time to do anything but lurk! This year I'm in a higher level than last year and I am obviously older:) I just wanted to get an opinion on this year's schedule and make sure my hours are ok. For reference, I am 15 years old and turning 16 this fall.

Monday:

1.5 hr technique (usually longer)

1 hr pas de deux (usually gets cut by tech class)

1.5 hr modern

Tuesday:

2 hr technique

1.5 hr modern

1 hr Pilates

1.5 hr technique

Wednesday:

1.5 hr technique

1 hr pointe

1.5 hr modern

1 hr contemporary

Thursday:

2 hr technique

1 hr pointe

2 hr technique (2 hr 15 min but usually cut short)

Friday:

2 hr technique

1 hr pointe

1.5 hr contemporary

1.5 hr rehearsal en pointe

Saturday:

1 hr 15 min technique

I am happy with the amount of class time we have this year, and I'm glad that we have a good bit of modern and contemporary as last year's schedule was greatly lacking in those areas. I also love that we have pointe classes in addition to taking center en pointe and I feel like it will be very beneficial. I also am planning on staying Monday nights (assuming I keep up with schoolwork) and taking a lower level's barre. Would this be a good idea, or am I getting enough hours? Thank you in advance, hopefully I will have more time to post this week:)

Victoria Leigh

You are getting more than enough classes, and taking a third barre, at any level, would be, IMO, a bad idea. Ever heard of overuse injuries???

aspirant_dancer

Ok I thought that was the case, but I wanted to check and make sure. Do I need more conditioning? Or is Pilates enough? I do some of my own exercises at home, but I can take other classes outside of ballet if needed. Yes I have heard of overuse injuries, is it a possibility with the number of classes I have? Thank you in advance.

Victoria Leigh

It's always a possibility, but as long as you have it organized efficiently, take really good care of yourself in terms of rest and nutrition and hydration, you lessen the chances of that. Work intelligently! I would not add anything more to that schedule.

aspirant_dancer

I'm doing my best, thank you so much for the response.

Ballet Day

I am 14 1/2 and was wondering if this schedule looks ok? I am in my studio's company, and they participate in Regional Dance America/Pacific. This year I am also doing YAGP.

Monday:

4:30-6:00 Technique

6:00-7:30 Pointe

Tuesday:

4:30-6:00 Technique en pointe (this is a mixed level technique class in which the older levels take it on pointe)

6:00-7:30 Contemporary

Wednesday

4:30-5:30 Stretch and Conditioning

5:45-7:15 Pointe (we do a warm up during class)

Thursday

6:00-7:30 Company Technique Class

7:30-8:45 Company Rehearsal (almost everything we rehearse is on pointe)

Friday

None

Saturday

11:30-1:00 Technique

1:15-2:15 Pointe

2:40-3:30 Partnering*

4:00-7:30 Rehearsal for company

*From 2:15 to 2:40 there is a younger group taking partnering

There is also an adult technique class on Monday that I was going to take, after the first few weeks of school are over.

Ballet Day

I also forgot, I have a morning technique class on Thursday, from 10:00-11:30.