Ballet Talk for Dancers
odette922

AM I taking enough ballet?

Victoria Leigh

Yes, it is okay, Ballet Day. :)

BalletChica99

Hello Ms. Leigh,

I am 14 and have been dancing since 3, taking ballet since 7 and really started training in ballet seriously since 10. Here is this year's schedule. I would like to know if I am taking enough ballet.

Thank you

Monday: Technique 1.5 hours

Variations 1 hour

Tuesday: Technique 1.5 hours

Pointe 1 hour

Friday: Technique 1.5 hours

Pointe 1 hour

Contemporary 1 hour

Saturday: Technique 1.5 hours

Pointe 1 hour

Victoria Leigh

BalletChica99, it's good, but I would hope for at least 5 days a week. Do you think that will happen next year, or are you already at the most advanced level?

Ballerina7373

I had to move to a new studio, and scheduling has been a challenge. I am now 14. Does my schedule look okay for an aspiring professional dancer?

Monday-

Ballet Technique-1 hour 30 minutes

Variations-1 hour

Modern-1 hour

Tuesday-

Pointe-1 hour

Thursday-

Pilates-30 minutes

Pointe- 1 hour

Friday-

Pointe-1 hour

Saturday-

There are no technique classes offered on Wednesdays, and I'm not sure my schedule is where it should be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance! :)

BalletChica99

Thank you Ms. Leigh,

I am not at the highest level yet, but my level has classes with the highest level. I am thinking of asking my parents for to take some privates on one of my free days. I'm not sure if I would be able to though at least beginning this Fall.

If I don't have an opportunity to take privates, do you think taking an open ballet class (not at my school) would be helpful?

I believe next year they increase by a day or two, but I'm not sure.

Thank you again.

Victoria Leigh

Ballerina7373, I think your schedule is fine.

Ballerina7373

Thank you Ms. Leigh! :)

i'monpointe

Sorry to post again, but I seem to have been skipped. I'm 16 years old and currently training at a trainee level at a well-known ballet school in Tampa, Florida. Here is my new schedule. Is it enough?

Monday:

1:30 to 3pm- Ballet

5 to 5:45pm- Stretch

5:45 to 7:15pm- Ballet

Tuesday:

2 to 2:30pm- Ballet

3:30 to 4:15pm- Partnering

4:30 to 6pm- Ballet

6 to 7pm- Pointe/Variations

Wednesday:

1 to 2:30pm- Ballet

4 to 5:30pm- Ballet

Thursday:

2:30 to 3:30pm- Pointe/Variations

4:30 to 5:45pm- Contemporary/Jazz

Friday:

3 to 4pm- Tap

4:30 to 6pm- Ballet

Saturday:

10:30 to 11:30am- Ballet

Victoria Leigh

Assuming that Tuesdays schedule started with a typo on the time, I think it is basically quite a full schedule. But why the one hour class on Saturday? Is it a warm up for rehearsals?

(Sorry if this was missed before, i'monpointe.)

ella_ballet

I am currently 16 and am looking for a professional career in dance. At the moment I am doing 10 hours of dance per week. It doesn't feel like nearly enough but I dont know how to fit more in with GCSEs and work... Any advice?

Victoria Leigh

Welcome to our forums, ella_ballet. :) It would be very helpful, since you are new here, to know a little bit more about you. We know you are 16, but we really need to know more about your training history, and also what classes comprise the 10 hours. Are they all ballet technique and pointe, or do you also have other dance forms? Are you in a pre-professional program? A daily schedule of your classes would be very helpful.

ella_ballet

Hey, sorry I should have thought of that before! I am doing 3 hours of ballet a week and the rest is contemporary and jazz. I am at the Centre for Advanced Training program at DanceXchange in Birmingham which means travelling from Oxford to Birmingham every Sunday. I have been doing contemporary since I was 6 and ballet on and off since I was 10, I started off wanting a career in contemporary dance but my focus has now switched much more to ballet. My week looks a bit like this:

Monday:5:45-7:15 contemporary with lots of choreography

Tuesday: nothing

Wednesday: 4:15-5 Intermediate foundation ballet

5:15-5:45: Jazz

5:45-6 Grade 7 ballet

Thursday: 4-6 teaching contemporary

Friday:3:30-6:15 teaching contemporary

Saturday:nothing

Sunday:10:30-5:30 a mixture of contemporary ballet and choreography

I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate but it gives you the overall picture...

Thanks xx

Edited by ella_ballet

Victoria Leigh

Thank you, Ella. I'm afraid that I have to tell you that dancers aiming for a career in ballet are taking daily (6 days a week) ballet classes of at least 1.5 hours each, followed by pointe classes at least 3 days a week. Most also study contemporary and jazz, plus they have performance rehearsals at least twice a week following ballet class/pointe classes. I'm sorry to be discouraging, but your schedule is quite far away from what is needed to become a classical dancer. You would need to get to a very serious ballet school in order to receive the kind of training you will need.

ella_ballet

Thats what I needed to hear, thank you for being honest! Maybe ballet can't be my career... Do you think I am doing enough classes to go into a career in contemporary dance? If not, do you have any suggestions for how many more classes I should be having?

Victoria Leigh

Ella, I can't answer that. I have no way of knowing what your contemporary training is like, nor of knowing your ability and potential as a dancer. However, I will say that any serious study of dance requires very rigorous and regular training. It looks like your training is only two days a week, with another 2 days teaching. That also does not sound sufficient to me.