Ballet Talk for Dancers
odette922

AM I taking enough ballet?

J-Lynn.

I'm 13 and I currently take about 15 hours+ a week. However, I have one day off. Should I really be dancing all days or is my amount of hours O-K for my age and everything.

Victoria Leigh

J-Lynn, if you have read the previous posts, I think we made it pretty clear that we do NOT believe in 7 days a week. In fact, the post just before yours says that! :wub:

15 hours doesn't mean much when you say you dance 15 hours. Tell us what your schedule is, in terms of ballet and pointe, specifically, and the other subjects. How long is each class?

J-Lynn.

Classes are about hour 1/2 long plus rehear. is like 8 hours total. The majority of our classes is technique 3 pointe classes weekly and rehear. which can be on pointe.

Victoria Leigh

Are the pointe classes separate from the technique classes?

Carrie

Sorry to interrupt your guys' conversation, but I only take 5 hrs (& 15 minutes, if you wanna split hairs :wub:) of ballet a week, all technique classes because I'm not on pointe. I'm 14, which is bad, but I started ballet a year and a half ago, which means I'm in the process of catching up. Is this allright for someone who's in a transition stage between the kiddy levels and the pointe levels?

Victoria Leigh

Actually, Carrie, that is not bad for someone with only a year and a half of training. But, the problem is, if you want to try and progress faster and get closer to where you should be at 14, then more classes would be a good thing. It's just hard to find a school that has more classes available at that level of training. But, do the best you can, and maybe add a lower level class or two, or anything else they will let you take! :wub:

janninepointe

You know what would be really good? If Mrs. Leigh made a little graph with the minimum number of hours you should have a week if you were trying to become professional, well the amount of hours that Mrs. Leigh would prefer, and to stick it up with the stickies above...then we wouldn't have these 9 page long chats that seem to be brought up new agin every month!

Demi-Plie

Including practicing at ome, I dance about 3-5 hours a night (it varies). So on an average, I take about 18 hours of dance a week in an average season with out rehersals and such. And I just reached my 13th year.

I say you cold be dancing a bit more but for now with all your studio is offering you're okay, I think

Victoria Leigh

Demi-Plie, I'm afraid that practice at home really does not count in terms of class schedule. Also, please be careful about offering your approval or disapproval of another persons schedule. The teacher/moderators do that and we do not feel that very young dancers have enough knowledge or experience to give advice, even though we know they are very well meaning. :wink:

Hildur

I'm turning 16 this year but I don't think I'm taking enough ballet. I live in Iceland and go to a fairly small ballet school, although I am starting at a mixed college/ballet school next fall(we have a different school system here so instead of taking a biology-, language- etc. course in our 16-20 years old school i am taking a dance course so school before launch and dance after). My group only has lessons twice a week but I take lessons with the older girls also so that makes four times a week. The younger class is set for 1 1/2 hours and the older for 2 although it always goes on like a half hour longer but that only makes 9 hours a week and I would love to do more seeing how I have a huge passion for dancing but I don't know how I'm supposed to do that. I know it's late to be thinking about this 6 months before I quit but isn't there anything I can do to practise more outside lessons?

Victoria Leigh

Hello Hildur, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :)

It does sound like it is difficult to get enough classes up there in Iceland. :wink: Is it possible for you to take a lower level class on the days when you don't have your own level? Or is there another school where you could take some extra classes?

Hildur

I could ask my ballet mistress to join the lower level class, there are other schools: 2 other small ones and 2 big ones, one of whom I will be attending next fall(although I can't decide which one). How many hours/days a week should I be taking?

J-Lynn.
Are the pointe classes separate from the technique classes?

Yes they are. We're taking a lot of hours this year for the summer.

ballet_lover5678

If i hardly ever have just a regular pointe class, it's a probably for the better if I change studios right?

See, my director has lost interest in running his school. He replaced pointe class with rehersal so we can leave earlier. But he is the only one who wants to get home faster. :wub:

Victoria Leigh

Well, sometimes this has to be done, and, while it's not optimal, if the training is really good, then you might be okay. We can't recommend a new school just on that basis alone. Would you like to tell us more about your schedule, your age, and your level? That would help us to know more about the training you are receiving.