Ballet Talk for Dancers

Weigh in - at ballet school! Need advice!

ma de deux

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• sarsdad

• BW

• vagansmom

ma de deux, I hope this all turns out OK for your daughter and the others at her studio. Whatever the AD's misguided reasons were, hopefully s/he has been enlightened.

(Moderators, if it is not appropriate here--or if it may open another can of worms--please delete the following portion of my post.)

This discussion, though, has prompted me to ask a question I have been wondering about for a while. The professional company my daughter works for conducts weekly weigh-ins with the results posted on the company bulletin board. I have always thought this was wrong for all the reasons listed above, and I feel you can tell if a person (adult) is at an appropriate weight for their body structure visually better than by a measurement on a scale. How common are these weigh-ins in professional companies nowadays? Or is this company just out of touch with todays thinking? (MJ, I agree that it could very well be a violation of HIPPA.)

Oh, my God, no! That is personal confidential information which should only be shared with health services providers, if a company decides to take it at all, which I doubt they should. That (posting) is so illegal that it makes my head hurt! And not just local laws, but the Feds! I hope the directorate of that company have their Golden Parachutes in good order, because they're gonna need something when the NLRB comes after them!

Not condoning the professional company's internal publication of the dancers' weights, certainly, BUT . . . that would not be a violation of HIPAA. Dance companies are not subject to HIPAA regulations.

Just to stir the pot, so to speak, don't college and/or high school sports programs booklets often list the heights and weights of the individual players as part of their bios?

What, exactly, is the motivation of the dance company's postings of this information?

Just to stir the pot, so to speak, don't college and/or high school sports programs booklets often list the heights and weights of the individual players as part of their bios?

What, exactly, is the motivation of the dance company's postings of this information?

:wink: Perhaps they want to intimidate rival companies? :)

Even if I could agree with their motives (which I most certainly don't), the weights don't accurately reflect the physique of the dancer. Muscle weighs more than fat. My daughter looks the smallest but her weight is higher than one would expect. In fact, it's higher than some other dancers whose physique appears larger than hers.

While ballet companies aren't subject to HIPPA (and neither are studios--it only applies to medical organizations like hospitals, clinics, pharmacies, and doctors in private practice) I would I imagine it violates union protocol. She and her fellow dancers might consider looking into it if they are a union company and it is an issue for them. I certainly don't see the purpose it serves. As I said, they didn't post our weights, or even weigh us, at my university, but they never hesitated to let us know when they thought we were too heavy (and at never more than 115 I doubt I was too heavy even when they thought I was!) and it wasn't a pleasant message to receive, even as an "adult".

eeek so scary and not ok. One would think that with all the public focus on eating disorders, health, etc, ballet companies would have caught on, but i guess not. It just seems so self-defeating to me-it's not like people can dance well with eating disorders, even if they do acheive the "look" that an AD wants.

I'm not sure at all the purpose of posting the weights. And everyone who happens by can read the charts if they want to--and this would include the school's students and their parents, visitors, etc. I admit I have even taken a peek occasionally :( , and like vagansmom and others have indicated, some weights are surprising until you consider the person's physique.

While ballet companies aren't subject to HIPPA (and neither are studios--it only applies to medical organizations like hospitals, clinics, pharmacies, and doctors in private practice)

However, there is language in HIPAA that could very well be interpreted to mean that any organization that collects personal health data is covered by the law, as they are de facto making themselves a health information repository. HIPAA is administered through the US Dept. of Health and Human Services. There are other laws administered through the US Dept. of Labor under the Fair Labor Standards Act which would make this kind of disclosure extremely questionable. Schools are still loose cannons, however.

If I may refocus this diccussion a bit ... the legality of federal compliance matters, but the question that was originally posed regarded a school. As Mel Johnson just said, "Schools are still loose cannons..." The question is that as parents, why would we possibly put up with this? The ballet world is absolutely unique in requesting and GETTING parental compliance in what amounts to borderline child abuse. If your child was a member of a school for academically gifted students would you countenance regular posting of their IQ, or their last exam? Three cheers for our original poster who realized that the school to which she sends her daughter had committed a grave mistake.

Perhaps it is time that we realize that as much as our children may well be passionate about their dance, parental responsibility goes far beyond nurturing these talents. As is apparent to any person who has children who study ballet and who also attends ballet performances, the business of teaching ballet seems a good bit more robust than that of performance. Look at how many aspirants line up for summer intensive auditions as compared to how empty houses are for all performances (except for nutcracker) . As I have said on this forum previously - parents - take control of your young childrens lives (yes - even though in ballet 14 or 15 seems "old" these are still young teenagers). If you feel uncomfortable about an action at a school it is likely for good reason.

Thank you, sarsdad -- that's about the first sensible thing I've heard out of a ballet parent's keyboard in a long time. And to it, I'll add -- given the poor working conditions and lousy pay that many ballet dancers put up with, is it possible that their tolerance is perhaps the result of being role-modeled so well by their parents in the fine art of "putting up and shutting up"?

dance1soccer1

As the mom of a gifted kid in a private school, where they DID post not just exam results but also made public standardized test scores, I can verify that until parents object forcefully, the school IS going to continue acting badly. And you really need the parents of the kids who are getting the most positive attention, (for low weight, high IQ, or whatever) to be the ones to lead the complaints for prompt action to be taken. If the parents of the kids who are not getting favorable attention complain, then it can be taken as "sour grapes". It wasn't until my son refused to release his scores to the school (and he was consistently one of the top scorers) that they changed the policy. So, get on the email or phone to all the parents you know, and start making noise!

All are corrected, laws, regulations and standards notwithstanding, nothing moves a school, whether public or private, like market pressure.