Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dominican University/Lines Ballet: BFA Program

Thank you so much!  That is all very helpful!  We're still waiting to hear if she got in or not, so we'll see if it's even an option.  Sounds like it might not be possible to double major, but maybe a minor?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancemaven

• tutu2you

• Mconti

• 2busy

1 minute ago, Mconti said:

Thank you so much!  That is all very helpful!  We're still waiting to hear if she got in or not, so we'll see if it's even an option.  Sounds like it might not be possible to double major, but maybe a minor?

My (oldest) DD graduated from the program in 2020.  I don’t think that I have enough positive adjectives to describe the experience and how much she loved it.  Yes on transit it, BUT they coveted that time in San Fran. They’re last big performance in April when they were to perform at Yuerba Buena was canceled just weeks ahead of time due to Covid, and the LINES teachers were and are such a major support to them.  They did so so many things to honor them.  campus beautiful downtown beautiful-all very safe. They danced all day and did academics at night. She had planned to double major, but didn’t because she didn’t want to do two senior projects.  In her class they were and still are very close(many still living together). Also did a lot of hiking, etc.  Most (including my DD) had jobs in town. She will say she knows she could not have trained in a more supportive environment.  They’re Audition season came to a screeching halt last year with Covid, and it is slowly starting to percolate.  She did not have the traditional college experience like I had.  She tried her first year, but couldn’t keep up with everything.  However, she is not the type to want a « typical » college experience.  

Thank you, merriak!  I have only heard positive things about this program.  We have no idea when we'll hear if she's actually accepted.  Fingers-crossed!  

Has anyone that applied for this year gotten their results yet?  My daughter was told they would hear ASAP but still hasn't heard.  This is first choice school so we're anxious to find out if it's an option for her or not!

• 2 weeks later...

geo77 or meriakk, can you speak to how a student might choose between the BFA vs Trainee with Lines. Mconti, like you my dd adores all things Lines, but if she were lucky enough to have choice between the two, i'm curious how the training might differ and wondered if anyone has input on that or to the outcome at later time. We don't know yet about her options but wondered how people felt between the two. there's not any recent info on the trainee page that i found. 

Hello! My DD only applied for BFA programs as she wanted to attend college as well as train so we didn't compare the BFA and trainee programs before she attended.  She said she thinks the trainees may dance more hours per week but the faculty is the same for both programs. The BFA dancers have dance classes from about 9:00 am until about 2:30, Monday - Friday- it varies slightly depending on the day.  They attend academic classes late afternoon/evening. They also have additional rehearsals for any senior pieces that they are in.  Those times vary depending on the schedules of the senior choreographer and the dancers in the piece.  This year my DD has a 2 hour rehearsal on Friday afternoon after dance classes and a 2 hour rehearsal on Saturday afternoon. My DD said that the trainees also dance during the day but she didn't know the hours or if they have additional rehearsals outside of their regular dance schedule.  

I don't know if that helps, as I can't offer much about the trainee program.   

Good luck! 

• 3 weeks later...

MConti, wondering if you ever heard a result? We'd also understood they would reply quickly with acceptance or not, so curious how long it takes. My dd didn't get her app in nearly as early as you did, so curious now how long the wait will be. 

My daughter ended up reaching out to the Lines contact and was told that they had told Dominican their decision (accepted) but she didn’t hear directly from Dominican for another week or so, and even then, I think she had to contact them. The process was not nearly as clear as it has been for the other schools. I would encourage your dancer to contact either lines or Dominican.  They were very kind and helpful. Good luck!

Mconti, Congrats to your dd! my dtr also applied to both trainee and bfa. Do you think yours will take the bfa route then? Still waiting to hear if we have both options, we only know about trainee for now. such a strange year for all this isn't it?! 

It was a tough decision but ultimately has decided to go to the University of Arizona Honors College. She’ll be able to double major there and they offered such a good scholarship, it was hard to turn it down. She will attended the Lines summer intensive, for sure!  She really loves Lines!

• 2 months later...

Did anyone else on BT4D decide to commit to Lines Training program for fall 2021? My dd is quite excited about this new and different step in her training! 

OOPS! I just realized i posted on the BFA page! My dd was accepted, but decided to go with the training program this year and then consider university after taking a year of more professional dance training and see how she felt before the four year commitment! sorry for the errant post above!