Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

SIs for guys

balletboy101

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom or first hand experiance with the following SIs, Boston ballet, Houston ballet, San Francisco ballet or Washington ballet

Thanks

Thanks Balletboy for posting this topic. I am starting to look for an SI as well, and was hoping someone could offer suggestions on which programs to consider and (more importantly!) which to avoid.

I am at the beginner-intermediate level, have been dancing about 1 year, never attended an SI and want to get the most out of it.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

So I've been looking at SIs too but I'm 26 now. I too am at the beginner-intermediate level like Joseph.

They almost all have age cuts. But people I've been talking to say that it really doesn't matter cause I'm a guy. Any thoughts?

At 26, and at a beginner level, you're going to have a tough time getting a slot at most SIs. "Guys have it easier" is still somewhat true, but not the way it used to be. It's gradually becoming Urban Legend.

That's been my increasing suspicion. I'm not a total beginner, I've been taking an Elementary class and an Intermediate class 4x/week. And I am looking into the ADC over in Virginia, but its a little on the pricey side for one week. So, that's one reason I've been looking into some of the longer SIs.

So I've been looking at SIs too but I'm 26 now. I too am at the beginner-intermediate level like Joseph.

They almost all have age cuts. But people I've been talking to say that it really doesn't matter cause I'm a guy. Any thoughts?

Knock, Knock "Female on deck"

The age cut off for Bossov Ballet is 27.

Correction

Now I don't know where I got that number. I just checked the website and it says 11 and up. I do know there are male adult SI students. The current male lead started at the beginner level three years ago and is in his tweenties. (He's on the faculty of the academic school.)

Edited by vicarious

That's OK, vi, it's worth a call to Maine anyway, to make certain of the situation. Thanks for the idea.

Does anyone have an opinion on 'Adult Dance Camps - Richmond, Virginia'?

Website is www.adultdancecamps.com, but I was hoping to hear from someone who is familair with or who actually attended.

Thank you.

Does anyone have an opinion on 'Adult Dance Camps - Richmond, Virginia'?

Website is www.adultdancecamps.com, but I was hoping to hear from someone who is familair with or who actually attended.

Thank you.

Many of the folks who read the adult section, including yours truly have gone to ADC. Most get hooked and return year after year, and would give you a glowing report.

There are also 2 sticky threads on the adult section referring to Adult Dance Camp.

At 26, you would be among the younger students, but we had one boy who was 18 a couple years ago.

sorry for the very late response, (internet down) I'm not totally sure what it is I'm looking for. I was looking for something where I could potentially learn something other than Vaganova. (I go to [name of school removed, in accordance with board privacy policy] I love Vaganova, but would certainly enjoy a change) I was looking most seriously at Boston and Washington, and was wondering: how are the mens programs, are there any special factors that makes any one program stand out, and does anyone have any misc. comments about the programs.

Thanks

Edited by Mel Johnson

There are Vaganova-trained teachers at both Boston and Washington, but neither is exclusively a Vaganova school. Boston has been rather popular with young male dancers over the last couple of years, but then, Washington is no slouch either. I'd call it a toss-up.

Washington is a smaller program, which gives you more individual attention, but Boston is also good. In my opinion, WSB has better teachers because much of Boston's summer faculty consists merely of star dancers giving class. To be quite honest I was disappointed with Boston because I had expected it to be Vaganova, and it wasn't, but many people were happy with it.