Ballet Talk for Dancers
dadwhocares

Charlotte Ballet--Trainees

sscrosby

Smack... has your daughter heard back re: her application for chaperone? I'm wondering how long it will take to hear.

sscrosby

My dancer finally heard back about chaperone.... and thankfully it was a 'yes'.  While there are a number of auditions still on her schedule (including one today and one tomorrow), it's looking more and more like this will be the winner. We'll plan to spend a few days down there in the next couple of weeks to get a good feel for the Charlotte area.... to see if she can imagine herself living happily there.... but the opportunity, based on what we've read/heard, is sounding exactly like what she wants/needs at this juncture. If the trip goes well.... well, she'll just put a stop to this process and do a little  celebration dance. As will I:)

Edited by sscrosby

Smack

Hi.... my daughter has definitely decided to accept the fall traineeship and SI at Charlotte.  She actually quit auditioning because she’s very interested in the program at Charlotte Ballet.  I think it’s always a good idea to visit an area before making a decision.  I stayed with my daughter in Charlotte for the summer when she was 14 yo- and we both fell in love with the area.  However, there is a huge difference between the small town-like atmosphere in Dillsworth where we stayed and the downtown area.  Dillsworth is a unique family area with beautiful parks and lovely neighborhoods- and just 10-15 mins from the studio.   Housing is expensive all over Charlotte but with a room mate it’s doable. 

I’m starting to inquire about apartments and room mates-but realize that most girls will not be prepared to join in our search until closer to the summer. I’m scouting out apartment rents in the Dillsworth area as well as downtown near the studio.

Please let me know if your daughter is looking for a room mate next fall!  We can share info and find out if they might be compatible.  My daughter is 19 yo, and passionate about dance like the rest! She’s enjoys culinary arts, cats, and enjoys fun with friends but needs quiet time, too.  

We can share contact info in the near future if needed-  

Blessings on the remainder of the touring season!  

martha

Edited by dancemaven
Added full words per BT4D Rules and Policies.

sscrosby

Can you or anyone else comment on public transportation options in the area? My daughter has yet to get her license and, even if we could pull that together, we really wouldn't want to add the expense of getting her a car, gas, and insurance. She's very comfortable with public transport of any sort.

A small city is actually exactly what she's looking for... she loves the city. Even New York City. But the intimacy of a smaller city feels better for her just starting out on her own. I know if at all possible she would like to live smack dab in the middle of it all. 

Other than that though... 19, obsessed with everything dance, enjoys culinary arts (specifically baking), cats, fun with friends but in need of quiet time too? You just described my daughter:)

Edited by sscrosby

Smack

That’s terrific!  
Maybe some dancers or parents can comment on the public transportation and best communities in close proximity to the studios? Several of the summer intensive families stayed near us in the Dilworth area- which was a very safe, mostly walkable area, and close to downtown.  But there were lots of other close townships that I’d like to research. 

When we stayed in Charlotte in 2014- the Downtown area was a very professional busy weekday community- and not so residential.  But I recently read that there has been a shift- people moving back to the downtown area? I think they have built more green spaces and walking/bike trails in the downtown area, too.  

Let’s definitely plan to communicate more... and our daughters can chat, too.   My dd loves cities as well, but feels very comfortable with the atmosphere of Charlotte. Like your dd, it will be her first time living away from home.  (Although she has a car, it’s a 2002 model and we would love for her to walk more and drive less).  

Charlotte has the downtown professional city area that is growing...with lots of adjacent communities ( like Dilworth) in close proximity.  Then... there are far outlining suburbs which are in my opinion , too far, needing to take interstate for long treks. 

I’m talking to the staff at CB this week about the recommended apartments and adjacent communities, etc.  Hopefully I’ll get a head start on things- as I’m becoming a grandmother again soon.  

My daughter is certainly willing to let her room mates tag along for errands if needed- and ride to class.  (However,  I understand that your dd will realistically need public transportation to have her independence).   My dd will need it as well when her car breaks down- because it’s  bound to happen at some point.  

Smack

Someone just messaged me with the name of the apartment building across the street from Charlotte Ballet.- where a number of dancers from CB school and CB company reside. .  The website is quite upscale, though. https://skyhouseuptown.com/floorplans/c1/       .  The three bedroom with 3 roomates starts at 700 pp for rent plus some utilities? the 1 bedroom can be shared but is from 750 pp......From what I've been told, this is literally across the street from the studio.  Rent can be very high for the larger apartments with more square footage.  I'm assuming these dancers are living on a budget- but it's still higher rent than I would expect in Charlotte.  But perhaps they feel safe- and want to be across the street from the studio.   

L_One

We researched Sky House when considering Charlotte for this coming year - there is a lot of feedback on the Google reviews that the management rents out vacant apartments on AirBnB and there have been some recent concerns with an uptick in crime including a murder in the building. I know that can happen anywhere but the transient nature of multiple units being used as AirBnBs seems to be a concern of some of the residents. 

Smack

I appreciate your candid response.  Safety is very important to my daughter, and us.  It’s easy to “assume” that a place is safe bc of the upscale appearance.   I haven’t searched crime stats yet, but we will be digging deep.   Again, thx. for the info. 

dancemaven

Please remember to use full words per BT4D Rules and Policies.

We have many members for whom English is not their first language, so we require everyone follow standard spelling, grammar, and punctuation to make it as easy as possible for all our members to read our discussions. 

Smack

I would love to hear from some of the current parents and trainees from Charlotte Ballet Academy regarding a few questions about the Trainee schedule.   I have contacted Lizzy Green but will not hear back from her until mid-week.   

1. Do you have any information or tips about room mates and the process for matching up with room-mates. 

2.  Besides the Nutcracker, what other performances do the trainees participate in during the year? Specifically in October?   

3.  What is the October schedule like in terms of training and rehearsing?  

Thanks for your input. 

Edited by Smack
edited for clarity, and added a few items.

danielld

Hi there.

For Roommates..You should wait for the office to get back to you.  They will have the list of new dancers and of who's returning that may need a roommate.  Although not everyone who is currently there knows if they're coming back in the fall.   There are still auditions going on. 

For the other performances:  This fall they did Leonce & Leona, and only the 2 senior trainees went to rehearsals and were understudies. Neither ended up dancing but they did get to attend rehearsals.  For the spring show, that was unfortunately cancelled the day it was supposed to start (during their last rehearsal..so sad!), Sleeping Beauty, all the trainees were in it.  The senior trainees and a few trainees did get to understudy fairy roles that the 2nd company performed.  Everyone had parts though that weren't dancing parts, like party attendees, etc. 

This past October they were learning and rehearsing a piece that an outside choreographer came in to set on them.  Also, Patti began teaching them Donazetti in their classes with her.  Both of the pieces were performed in January at their showcase where the highest levels of the school perform a piece and the trainees did 2 pieces.  They learn those pieces in September and work on them thru October since once Nutcracker rehearsals and shows begin, there isn't much time for anything else.  Note that not everyone gets to dance every piece.  They have 2 shows in January, so for the one piece there were 2 casts, each performed a different show and everyone was in one of the two casts.  For Donazetti, only one cast, 7 girls.  It just depends on the year and the pieces. 

Hope this helps!

jazzdance

As far as performances in October, 6 of the trainees (3 men, 3 women), including both the senior trainees, were understudies for Leonce and Lena and 4 of them (2 women, 2 men) were able to perform it. Trainees are not typically in the fall production that the company but given the large-scale of the show, extra dancers were needed. A few trainees were also able to understudy the second company's repertoire for their outreach shows for schools around Charlotte and the surrounding areas. Every trainee is in Nutcracker with the men doing the lead roles (ex. Nutcracker, Mouse King, etc.) and the women in flowers. Many of the ladies are also in snow and marzipan corps in addition to the second company girls. Depending on height and look, trainees are also used for roles in the party scene, such as parents and maids. All trainees are typically in the March production as well, performing the corps roles.

Trainees also perform their own rep separate from the company. Typically, Patricia McBride stages a Balanchine work a year. This past year was Who Cares? and Tarantella and this current year was Donizetti Variations. Everyone learns the Balanchine rep both in variations classes and in rehearsals but only a few trainees are able to perform it. Each year, the trainees also perform a piece by Mark Diamond, the second company director, and an original piece by one of the guest choreographers that also does a piece for the company for their Innovative Works show. Trainees also learn and perform various pieces by the faculty members of Charlotte Ballet.

Another opportunity trainees are given is the ability to choreograph on their peers. They have a weekly class taught by Mr. Diamond that is dedicated to composition and choreography with various exercises throughout the fall semester to prepare for the spring. In the spring, a few trainees are chosen from an adjudication and audition process to complete their piece that they have begun working on. This culminates in a show in the Black-Box Theatre with lighting and costumes. Every trainee is in at least one piece with a total of roughly 6-8 choreographers depending on the year.

Extra performance opportunities are also available from year-to-year. For example, in 2017, several trainees were able to perform with the company in Rubies. In 2018, many trainees also gotten to do an extra performance with a guest choreography and children from the Charlotte area in addition to shows at orchestras, art galleries, etc. In 2019, all trainees were able to perform a piece for the Butterfly Project, an initiative dedicated to those who affected by the Holocaust. They also were able to a showing where visiting trainees from SFB were immersed in some of the Charlotte Ballet's contemporary rep. As previously stated, a few trainees were also able to perform in Leonce and Lena with the company. A small group of trainees were also involved in a production with a contemporary dance troupe based in Charlotte. All of these opportunities are not guaranteed year-to-year but usually there is at least one extra performance opportunity for trainees..

To summarize, trainees perform in the Nutcracker all December. After they come back. they have 2-3 weeks before their January show with the school. After that, they rehearse with the company for their spring full-length production, such as Peter Pan or Sleeping Beauty. They then have their show in April dedicated to their student choreography. After that, they have their own show in May. They also perform again with the school in June. The shows with the school typically have 2-3 of the trainee pieces in them. Extra performance opportunities like Leonce and Lena and second company rehearsals vary from year to year. The company rep is mainly contemporary while trainee rep is Balanchine, neoclassical, and contemporary.

Edited by jazzdance

Smack

Thanks so much for the helpful feedback!  Smack

Edited by Smack
Clarity