Ballet Talk for Dancers
pal

School of Ballet Chicago

Monet

There are at least 7 students there right now that are post high school.  Every year BC gets kids that graduated from high school the previous year.  Some come because the programs they were at do not allow students once they graduate, and many are not company ready just because they graduate.  I know at least one girl therr right now goes to college in Chicago and is part of the studio company.  BC gives older dancers the ability to continue their training until they are ready to audition for comoanies.

Monet

Noodles, I know there are at least 22 in the Studio Company, there could very likely be more but those are kids I know.  They come from 1- kids who have grown up at BC and moved through the ranks to Studio Company 2- summer intensive (that is how my dd ended up there) 3- they get many that come move from other local studios once they turn 14-18 who are just looking for more serious or specific training and 4- students that have graduated high school and want/need to contiue training before seeking a company job.  BC does not provide housing so that is up to the individual, but many girls move to BC from out of state so there is usually someone looking for a roommate.  It was a wonderful experience for my DD and prepared her well for auditions and a company position.

Noodles

Thank you Monet :)

Monet

Noodles you are welcome!  Let me also add the advantage my dd experienced with BC Studio Company is that it is run very similarly to an actual company and not a school program like many trainee programs are.  These kids are well prepared in the understanding of being part of a working corps de ballet and the ridiculous amount of work that goes into it.  

em_dancer

I was recently accepted into BC's studio company and I was wondering, how many dancers are in the studio company? What is the age range of the Studio Company? I saw in an earlier post that some are as old as 22, are there also younger dancers?

Monet

Yes there are younger dancers.  Studio Company dancers are usually between 15 and 22, but this can vary a bit.  The Studio Company has 2 levels, the younger girls usually in level 6 and older level 7, but this is not a hard and fast rule.

Hopeful_dancer

Does anyone know if the Studio Company rehearsals are sometimes in the morning or only during evening hours? Their website hinted that they might have morning rehearsals. I am looking at attending Ballet Chicago this fall for my senior year, as well.

Monet

Rehearsals are on the weekends and Friday evenings sometimes.  They are not on week day mornings.  But the weekend class and rehearsals start in the morning.  

tobeaballerina

If anyone knows of someone who needs a roommate for the next academic year it would be great if you could contact me! I plan on also reaching out to the school as well to see if they can put me in touch with anyone looking once it gets a little closer to fall, but I figured this was a good place to ask as well. :D

em_dancer

tobeaballerina-

I will be staying in a studio apartment nearby. Are you doing the summer intensive? I am not, but I would love to get in touch with some BC peeps before the year starts :)

kgiese

Monet, my daughter is currently at the Advanced Intensive and is deciding if she should stay year round. She just turned 15 and we live out of state.  I am a newer member here, but I would like to ask some more detailed, personal questions which might not be appropriate on this thread.   (Edited to remove email)

Edited by kgiese