Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

behind my knees

Guest unencouragedDANCER0217

Guest unencouragedDANCER0217

Lately I have been feeling this pain behind my knees i dont know what it is but im pretty sure that it has something to do with a new dance i learned that has a lot of splits and extensions.......thanks to my new found " flexibility "...........what does this pain mean ?

• Administrators

It sounds like you may be hyperextending the legs and straining the ligaments behind the knees. Make very sure that you are not standing with your weight in your heels and pushing your knees back too far. Check your alignment and be sure that you are lifting up and not pushing your pelvis forward and your hips back. Ease up on the stretching, and especially splits, until this goes away. Don't force your extension, and especailly do not put yourself into a stretch where the legs hyperextend, like sliding down the barre, for instance.

I have always assumed that I didn't have hyperextended legs...teachers have never told me so, and they don't look like it (to me). But I've always found sliding along the barre painful in my knees. I don't get a stretch at all, I'm just trying to keep my leg looking straight enough so that it doesn't hurt. And then a friend commented that in a photo I looked as if I had slightly hyperextended legs. So, I don't really know at all, and would just like to know for interest. Is there a way to tell or should I just assume they're normal?

Just a question :lol:

Skye

Hmmm. If your knees aren't hyperextended, I think you might just be pulling back into your heels. Try to lift the weight off your heels and onto the bal of your foot and toes. Don't have your heels off the ground, becuase doing that for long periods of time can cause tendonitis, but stretch them down to the floor instead of pressing weight into them.

Even if you're not hyperextended, things like sliding down the barre can jam the kneejoint back into the full-locked position, and that can hurt! Lateral force on large joints can be quite damaging. Lose the slide down the barre.

Ok thanks! :yucky: But I don't know that it would be respectful to say in class that I didn't think it would be a good idea to slide down the barre. I guess I could just say that it hurts in my knees.

• Administrators

Yes, just say it hurts your knees. No further explanation is necessary.