Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

February Champagne Couch

Guest pink tights

Good for you pink-tights! Pique turns are not my strong suit :yucky:

On Saturday I took a class below-level and in the final adage-y combo I did each pirouette as a double ... cleanly and consistenly. That never happened before!

I just had a KILLER class. We had a new accompanist who really inspired the teacher to give some fun, hard, musical stuff.

I was very "on" today, and am feeling quite pleased with myself. My double pirouettes ending in attitude were all right there. I'm psyched. I'm even more psyched because all my pointe shoes are dead, and I didn't wuss out of turns (which I tend to do when the shoes are soft). Even my fouettes were nice, and I normally BLOW at fouettes. Been practicing them religiously this month and they're much better.

I've been looking at myself in the mirror a lot, and it's really helped me find my focus and center, and lose a lot of fear.

A man in my water exercise class told me I looked like a Ballerina yesterday!

It had to do with arm movement in a side stretch and I had been thinking of using my arms in the water (and above the water) just like in Ballet class so it was very gratifying.

I also did a double pirouette in the kitchen the other day (singles have been quite a challenge since coming back) when thinking of spotting properly and "presenting my back" like I have been told lately.

I will just have to see how class goes tomorrow night, but I'll go in smiling.

Laschwen

Have just worn another hole on the bottom of my bedroom slippers. This one is on the left slipper, right on the “turning spot.” Previously had holes worn on the bottoms of both, right under the great toe.

Have not taken a ballet class since July of last year (just modern and Spanish) and I don’t think kitchen and living room pirouettes have been better.

Expect no one to understand this.

I totally get it.

Of course the things that serve as bedroom slippers for me are custom orthotic sandals that look like Birkenstocks....No turns in those.

My socks get the holes......and being generally slippery could account for the double. Hmmmmm.

Home pirouettes with no witnesses are always better than those in class somehow.

Laschwen

I, despite my present back issues and chiropractic visits, was rock solid last night in ballet. I was quick with my combinations...actually adding rhythm and keeping with the music (many in my class seem to lag just behind the music). My pique arabesque felt stable for the first time on both sides...I actually found a balance point high on demi-pointe and was able to sustain it for longer than usual.

During centre, I was able to work some facial expression and better use of portabras into our adagio combinations. While moving, we did saute, saute, balance, balance x3 ending in a pique turn before starting the whole combination over. I did it was very little hesitation (meaning I didn't have to pause and think about what came next).

Finally, I was the only person to get the ending jump series all the way through without making a mistake or stopping (just consisted of changement, changement, sissonne to the front, changement, changement, sissone to the right, etc...going en croix).

Just back from my first class at a new studio....wow!! I'm so thrilled to have found this place and right in my own backyard!!

I took the advanced class, which was made up mostly of high school-age girls (my sophomore son will be SOOO thrilled - *not*)

The class was good, traditional, no-nonsense, with a solid teacher, who actually told me that I am a good dancer and that she was very impressed with how precise I am with all the movements and how I use my feet!! :angry: She gave me corrections and praise when necessary...I think I'm in love!!

Am so excited about finding this studio that I think I'm going to burst.... ha ha...can't wait til Tuesday and my next class.

In honor of the six month anniversary of breaking my foot I ran a mile! It was in five minute increments, with walking in between, on the treadmill, but that's ok!

I am taking a very beginner ballet class once a week and the first half hour of barre of the beg/int class since it's right before my pilates class. I can do everything in class except I tend to be very hesitant on any turn that involves my left foot (since that's how I broke it) and pushing up onto releve on it (such as in a soutenu turn). But, hey, I've only been back in ballet for a little over a month!

I only have one more week of physical therapy and my physical therapist says I'm doing well. My releve on my left foot is "just about" where my right foot is, it's mostly mental now. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say how thankful I am that I love ballet and get to take class three+ times a week.

There is a young girl (15 or so) in a few of my classes who seems to complain about every barre exercise, every center combination...everything about class...and she plants herself right next to me to do her complaining....now why is that??

It just made me realize how thankful I am that i GET to take ballet. I want to turn to her and say, "if you dislike this so, why are you here?" But I probably won't...I think it would be better to just tell her, everytime she says something to me, how much I love it and move away...think she'll get the message?

I'm bummed out, but I've decided to post here instead of the support thread. I've been the biggest grump lately and I need to focus on the positives. And I'll be really honest: I could use a pat on the back or a hug these days, as opposed to be reminded how awful everything is. So here it is. My plea for a pat (or two) on the back.

Okay, so I've kinda lost my turns en pointe en dehor. Don't quite get it, but today en dedans was pretty cool - and that's the one I usually mess up??? Who knows.

But but but. I did fouettes en pointe! In the past 10 years, this is only the second time I've tried them en pointe.... And the first time was about 3 years ago. The first go I kinda psyched myself out... but I then went to the corner and had a chat with myself... :D and decided just to relax for the second side (going to the left - but that is stronger for me because my right leg is stronger than my left... so I like en dedans turning right and en dehor turning left, if that makes sense.). I also can do repeated releves on one foot en pointe - so I just told myself that's all it was.... okay, so I knew I was lying to myself, but you know, you gotta do what you gotta do.

They weren't perfect, or amazing. But they were not horrid, and they weren't bad.

Unfortunately, this was with the :firedevil: teacher. She knows that I haven't been doing them, and that it's been a while. She encouraged me to stay en pointe for all of class, and for the fouettes. To the left, I did 15. Again, they weren't perfect, but they were not at all bad. She looked at me... but not to say anything nice, but rather really snidly/sarcastically 'there should have been one more'.

Well then. Hmph.

They weren't perfect, or amazing. But they were not horrid, and they weren't bad.

Unfortunately, this was with the :firedevil: teacher. She knows that I haven't been doing them, and that it's been a while. She encouraged me to stay en pointe for all of class, and for the fouettes. To the left, I did 15. Again, they weren't perfect, but they were not at all bad. She looked at me... but not to say anything nice, but rather really snidly/sarcastically 'there should have been one more'.

Honey, you did them, and you haven't for ages. You didn't chicken out. She sounds a real cat. I know you've been having problems with this creature for quite a while - are you really stuck with her? Maybe a good row might clear the air?! You can yell at me as much as you like, Ami, you've always been here for me and I'm here for you :D Fiz. xxx

Thanks Fiz. :firedevil: The thing is that I can consistently do 32 to the left in soft shoes, and usually 28-32 to the right. But en pointe is a different story.

I'm not fully 'stuck' with her. Right now I dance with her once or twice a week, and I'm in her show but I only go to one rehearsal a week - after a class. This is so much better than a few years ago when I danced with her 6 days a week, and even last year which was 4 days a week. I've cut back majorly.

My other teachers know what's going on and they are helping me loads, and I must say without them I wouldn't be able to do this stuff. They think that maybe I should stick with one of her classes a week for stamina and challenge stuff... so after the show I might just reduce to one. Or none. :D

Now that would be something to celebrate!