Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Schools- Germany

She has not auditioned yet. There's only 2 hours a week that you can actually talk to someone in the ballet department so our German friend will call this week. Do you have any advice?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dance_Scholar_London

• Silver Penny

• blballet

• BW

Dance_Scholar_London

The school runs as a pre-programme for the 'Musikhochschule', thus if she is interested in getting into the professional division of the University programme later on, Dr. Hochs is certainly a good choice.

The school runs as a pre-programme for the 'Musikhochschule', thus if she is interested in getting into the professional division of the University programme later on, Dr. Hochs is certainly a good choice.

Do you what age they join the University programme? I'm finding the educational system here in Germany quite different from the United States. Any information you have about the Konservatorium is much appreciated. I haven't gotten the information to my friend to translate so I'm guessing about most of what I'm trying to understand from the websight. Thanks so much for your help.

Dance_Scholar_London

The higher educational system in DANCE is different from other programmes as students may enter from the age of 16 onwards. Most other degree programmes will require Abitur (equivalent A-levels). The 'Bologna reform' suggest that all degree programmes have to make the change to BA and MA within the next few years. Thus, newly created programmes will have this in place already, e.g. the Palucca School in Dresden will be running an MA in dance therapy from autumn on.

The conservatoire is considered to be one of the 'big 5' in Germany

Silver Penny

DSL is if safe to ask who the "big five" are?

I have been off BA for a while trying to settle housing here before we begin our move to Germany. My dd will attend the Ballet school in Mannheim at least one year. It will be a short train ride there and she can continue one more year in the American schools. Your help in deciding to take this job (at least on the ballet side) has been invaluable.

blballet glad to know you are solving the ankle issue. If you decide to try Mannheim again, let us know. I think Dr Hochs is a bit far. I am very excited about her acceptance to Manneheim and hope it will work out there. As you know having the dd happy will make the move 100% easier. Interesting you say it was very militant training. I wonder if you will feel the same at Dr. Hochs. I think the German (and most Vaganova) based training schools about the same, very strict and producing highly technical dancers. The expression comes from within while dancing and I was able to see that in Mannheim in an observation class. BOY do I hope it will be good for my dd! :)

DSL, you are a wealth of information...thanks so much! I'll keep you posted on our progress with Dr. Hoch's.

Silver Penny, Fourteen is a difficult age to move no matter who you are. To be a dancer is an extra challenge, so to have her already enrolled in the Mannheim Academy should help make her transition smoother. Our dd had been so very happy with her school in the states that the move was rather trying and then to run into so many disappointments trying to find a place to dance just made it harder. Unfortunately, we didn't know we were moving until 3 weeks before my dh was due on station so our research came after being here. The other students at Mannheim Academy were extremely nice to my dd so I think yours will adjust well. (By the way, we never saw anyone weighed!) You have my e-mail so let me know when you'll be arriving and we'll do all we can to help make it smooth. blballet

The higher educational system in DANCE is different from other programmes as students may enter from the age of 16 onwards. Most other degree programmes will require Abitur (equivalent A-levels).

I was re-reading your post and don't know what Abitur or A-level is. Could you please explain further? Again many thanks.

:D

Dance_Scholar_London
DSL is if safe to ask who the "big five" are?

I would rather not answer this question here - difficult question - ballet politics involved! :D

Silver Penny

DSL I certainly can understand, that is why I prefaced "safe" to say. I can guess the top four (at least as far as we in the states think) but would like to know what the view from overseas is. If you want to PM me with this informaion I would love it. It would be helpful for the future if we are unhappy in Mannheim.

BLballet the abitur is the ending degree from the Gymnasium (The German High School geared toward students who will enter college). Students are graded on the tests at the end of their "senior" year. Most students are age 18ish. The dance programs DSL is referring to like the university in Mannheim, will let you enter at age 16 without the abitur and if the student finishes the three or four years will have a BA. This is the best way I know how to explain it to an American, probably not very technical, but easier to understand. :D I will be keeping in touch as time nears. My dd would be interested in taking your "racketball court" class on Saturday as there will be no classes in Mannheim then. She is used to taking six days a week and many more hours so I will try to supplement for her.

Dance_Scholar_London

Will try to PM some time next week! Busy marking essays over the next couple of weeks. Thanks for understanding

• 3 weeks later...
janninepointe

I've been accepted to go to the audition at Neumeiers! But now that I'm going I'm getting all worried. People are telling me that they watch your weight really closely and put alot of .....( can't think of the word in Enlgish at the moment) on thinness.Also that after the end of the year talks most children and mothers come out literally bawling...Well I'm still really excited as the audition is in what?20 days?!

Dance_Scholar_London

Janine, good luck and fingers crossed :-) Let us know how it goes :-)

• 3 weeks later...
janninepointe

The audition was today, only 4 out of 34 girls got into the sencond stage (pointe work) all of the four boys made it in. It was a really good experience even though I didn't make it. I wasn't the worse one there but when we had to do center work my brain went lost and I couldn't get the combinations straight. It wasn't even hard! But everything gave me a good idea of where I stand, I am happy because I have quite good chances elsewhere. Next week we can call the school and ask why we weren"t accepted which I think is great! I am very happy =)

Dance_Scholar_London

It's nice that they provide feedback :shrug: good luck

My dd took an audition class last night and was accepted to Dr. Hoch's Konservatorium for ballet. We've visited many schools over the past 7 months and it was the only class which I wasn't allowed to watch. The teacher only speaks German and Russian so some of the students helped translate but not having watched the class I find it hard to make a good decision on whether this is the right place for dd. I'm really rather confused about the program. The girls were all in their teens, they dressed like dancers but had no dress code, the class size was small (about 8-9 students), ballet classes are offered 5 days a week for one and a half hours a day. (The class actually started a bit late and was let out early so it wasn't quite 1&1/2 hours.) I'm not sure this is enough dancing for a 14-15 year old who would like to pursue this as a career. I tried to find out information on the internet about the teacher, Olga Alexandrova, and only found her son. I welcome any more information any of you may have to share.

Dance_Scholar_London...you've been so informative already but I must tell you that the advanced student level there just didn't seem as high as I would have expected. DD who is a perfectionist and very determined went into the class very nervous and came out saying that it was rather simple and she shouldn't have been nervous. I honestly don't know what to do next. Mannheim Academy could still be an option for her but I don't want to rule Dr. Hoch's out if they are also producing dancers. I gather from talking to a few of the dancers that Mme. Alexandrova has just been at Dr. Hoch's for only a year. What do you know about this? Like I said any comments or opinions are very welcome!

Having studied only in the United States, where pure forms of teaching Vaganova, Cechetti and others aren't wide spread, is it common practice to have set classes over several days or weeks? I have seen teacher's give a set barre for a couple of days or repeat certain combinations but never the whole class for two weeks at a time. I see the value in it for technical reasons but I'm not sure what I think about it on a long term basis.

Perplexed. :yes:

Dance_Scholar_London
Having studied only in the United States, where pure forms of teaching Vaganova, Cechetti and others aren't wide spread, is it common practice to have set classes over several days or weeks? I have seen teacher's give a set barre for a couple of days or repeat certain combinations but never the whole class for two weeks at a time. I see the value in it for technical reasons but I'm not sure what I think about it on a long term basis.

Perplexed. B)

I believe this is common practice, and many of the conservatoires (in London) have adopted this practice; and I am not referring to syllabus based teaching here. But then.... there are also other times during the year, where the classes are not set at all.

Blballet, please PM re school; I am abroad currently and have limited Internet access but will try to answer your questions over the weekend.