Ballet Talk for Dancers
Taradriver

California State Univ. - Long Beach

Taradriver

2llori-

I know this is :D but I can't PM you yet! You can call TCU's financial aid and see if they can come up with something that might work for you. Good luck to your dd with CSULB auditions!

More on this school - Long Beach Dance Department Secretary told me today that they had 60+ audition in February and 20-something (was it 21?) were accepted. She said The Beach was one of the top 10 dance campuses in the country . . . and was definitely modern-based. As I've stated before, one can study ballet here to as high a level as modern. There is also a wide variety of classes, we saw a jazz class that looked very good, according to BOTH my dd's (older dd is home on Spring Break) as well as a really neat African dance class.

2llori

Dd auditioned yesterday with about 6 members of the faculty observing--my guess would be about 70+ at the audition--my dd estimated about 1/3 potential transfer students. She loved the class--felt comfortable with the ballet portion and thought the modern was fun--different than her experience at SMU, but now she has a better idea what to expect! She said the dept. head said they were looking for well-rounded dancers, rather than just modern (?). My dd has made her mind up to go here, accepted into the dance program or not, as she can still take classes even if she is not accepted into the major/minor program, and can audition again if she must. So..lGO BEACH!

Whoops--that would be GO BEACH!

Taradriver

The comment I posted about the Beach being modern based came from the department's administrative assistant. I see this program as offering an astounding variety of excellent quality dance classes. Close proximity to LA doesn't hurt, either. Seriously, the Beach ranks right up there for dance; excellent faculty, and facilties. My dd enjoyed the audition as well - it was her first college audition.

Being well rounded can only HELP an aspiring ballet (or any other) dancer, at least that is my humble opinion. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed seeing tap, Irish step dance and Jewish folk dance as part of (Michael) Smuin Ballet's repetoire.

That is why the Beach :crying: is still under consideration at this end.

2llori - Very best of luck to your dd re: the Beach. I wish we could PM, it would be soooo nice if we could chat a bit and maybe our dd's, too. Can one of the mods give her my email address?

2llori

Thank you! Dd found out today that she has made it in :blushing: She is thrilled! So now decisions are made and money has been spent! It is a relief to have it resolved--best of luck to you Taradriver and all you parents who are living through this.

Taradriver

2llori- Congrats to your dd! The Beach is not easy to get into - academically OR for dance. :party::thumbsup::hyper::huepfen::clapping::green::wink::toot:

I'll bet you are so happy to have it over with!

I have sent them the big dorm deposit which I can get back except for $50 if dd chooses another school. We are STILL in decision making mode.

Muck Luck

2llori, Congrats to your daughter and it must be a relief to have this process finished. Please keep posting about her experience as my daughter will be seriously considering this program as well for next year.

We can't wait to go visit in June...

2llori

Wow--thanks for all the applause!!! You are so sweet! My dh and I are happy that dd will be continuing to build on all the years of training she (and we!) have invested in...dance has been such a focus through her middle and high school years, and I think sometimes, her lifeline to get through these challenging years! My dd has had a love/hate relationship with it at times, but once she visited here, she felt that "connection" and made the decision to follow through. I am so grateful to all of you who have shared information, and I will try to pass along all new information I can to those of you who will be working through this process in the next year!

pat

I realize school has just started, but any updates to add? How are the dk adjusting to college dancing at CSULB? Large classes, small classes? Any updates would be appreciated as our dd is heading off to this audition/vist soon. Thank you.

2llori

My DD started school 2 weeks ago as a Ballet Minor--secondhand from her, she says that she thinks that there are about 40 in her ballet and modern classes. (2 out of her 5 courses this semester are dance. ) All new students, except one transfer that she knows of, were placed in Ballet 1--anyone who feels comfortable can do the center work on pointe, otherwise there is a separate class twice a week. She feels her previous classical training makes her a strong dancer in her classes and she absolutely loves her instructors. It is still early days yet and overall she is liking Long Beach although the campus does tend to clear out on the weekend. Good luck!

gogators

My dd was at Cal State Long Beach's Dance Center for a 1-week intensive that dd attended this past week, and thought some of you might be interested what I learned from talking with one of the dance faculty:

I had never been to Cal State LB's Dance Center complex, and was impressed. I was told the complex is about 12 years old, though I thought it looked newer than that. Complex consist of 7 (I think) studios, with three very large studios on the ground floor each with a piano. The remaining studios, I believe, are on the upper floors. Walked around a bit and noticed the building includes a nicely equipped conditioning room for just the dancers.

I don't think I should include the name of the faculty member who I spoke with since I don't have his permission. But I learned that this year's freshman dance class is their strongest ever. (According to him, their weakest freshman ballet dancer this year is stronger than students from past years.) They've also are now having large turnouts for the dept auditions so they are able to be picky on who they accept. (Based on the numbers given to me, it sounded like they accepted about 50% of those who auditioned.)

One interesting point that I should've realized --- it is widely known in California that a key difference between the UC system and the Cal State system is that UC schools are known to be primarily "research" institutions, and Cal State schools to be primarily "teaching" institutions. Thus, UC schools are generally regarded to be more prestigious than the Cal State schools. UC professors and teachers are evaluated more on their research accomplishments than on their teaching. Cal State is generally the opposite. The Cal State faculty member pointed out that because they are evaluated on their teaching skills, the dance teachers spend alot of time working with their students, and less so on trying to accomplish "research" outside of the classroom. (What that would mean in the dance world, I don't know.)

He also mentioned that because of their connections, they work with promising students who are intent on a professional dance career to help place them with various dance companies when they're ready.

Taradriver

DD had a very difficult time deciding between CSULB and TCU. Yes, the dance facilties at Long Beach are wonderful and the school is gaining in reputation. They also offer a Dance Science option, which was quite interesting to dd.

The only drawback to CSULB is that it is primarily a commuter campus. Yes, there are some dorms, but they are older, although fairly well kept.

Hollywood Ballet

CSULB is a beautiful facility, with one caveat- I question the use of wood floors in such a warm, often dry environment. In warm weather those floors get really slick- I've danced on them on two occasions and felt unsafe. Curious- with all the money they obviously spent on the rest of the amenities, why couldn't they spring for good marley flooring?

hushinfazen

Wait... I remember them as marley and not wood.

hushinfazen

2llori

My daughter has completed her first semester, and remains very enthusiastic about her instruction. She loved ballet, and enjoyed her modern class despite not having as much previous experience in that form as most of the other students. She is a dance minor, which is turning out to be somewhat tricky--she wants to major in business, and to fulfill all of her general ed requirements, and her major requirements, and keep dancing, it looks like it will be a challenge to complete her degree in four years--it looks like she will be taking some additional academic classes during her summers to keep her on track.