Ballet Talk for Dancers

Switching Studios

• Administrators

kat, I don't know where you are, but it sounds to me like your training options are extremely limited and not very good. If you have the passion and desire for classical ballet, AND the physical facility and talent, then I'm afraid that you are going to have to think about a residence program. Sorry :wub:

Guest kat789

I see this as the only option as well, Ms. Leigh. The problem with that is my father. He says that when I am the best in any studio I go to will he consider (and only consider) a boarding school. I don't know how to change his opinion. Of course he always believes that he is right, and no matter how I try to tell him that I can't expect to be improving if the training isn't sufficient. Whenever I try to talk to him about it he just tells me that he doesn't want to talk about it right now, or that he's heard enough already. I guess all I can do is pray that there is an answer and I just haven't found it yet.

• Administrators

Introduce him to this board and have him start reading. We do not promote residency programs unless it is necessary to obtain the training. If there is adequate training available where you live, we always prefer that students stay with their families.

• 1 month later...
Guest triplethreat

My 11 1/2 year old daughter goes to a school that teaches ballet only, but no one there at this time is particularly serious about ballet, except dd. My daughter wishes to dance professionally, and I believe the potentional is there. I think the teacher is solid, but has gotten lax through the years (she taught me ballet when I was a girl and I'm no spring chicken.) DD takes 3 ballet classes weekly, with one 1/2 hour of pre-point tacked on to the end of a class and one modern/jazz mix class. This is the only ballet school within a 4 hour area. There are some private class possibilities. A former student that went on to North Carolina School of Arts and then danced in NC professionally for 8 or so years has come back to go to graduate school has offered to give DD lessons this summer. I am interested in opinions as to whether this is adequate training for her. Thank you in advance! :lol:

Triplethreat :thumbsup:

I know this issue is kind of over, but if it's okay I'd just like to say something in case anyone else ends up reading this thread later.

I went to recreational schools (one very good, one not bad training, but more about fun) before going to a pre-pro school last year and changing schools this year. I changed schools because I didn't feel that the teachers at the first school I went to took me seriously, and there was no way to say that when a few girls I knew asked me about it. The school I'm at right now is the same technically but friendlier--and I didn't want to say that, either.

I used the excuse that it was a bit closer to me (which it is ... by maybe 5 minutes, on a good day) and also that my parents only wanted to spend so much money on ballet, and that I could take more classes if less gasoline was involved. This wasn't true, but I thought it was more diplomatic. I liked both schools a lot, but with the school I've been at since last summer, I really like the fact that I'm not considered absolutely hopeless by any of the teachers. And there isn't any way to say that. :unsure:

So basically--if your parents are willing to cooperate, it goes over a lot more smoothly, and if the reasons stated are economic or scheduling-related, they're pretty safe.