Ballet Talk for Dancers
Rhapsody

Ballet schools in Washington - Seattle

SonDoesDance

Does anyone have any first hand information on Emerald Ballet Theater in Bellevue? Thanks!

momofballet

Does anyone know how to reach Debora Hadley who I understand gives private instruction in Bellevue? I searched for her studio and contact information but could not find it.

I heard that she is quite selective so perhaps this is the reason I can't figure out how to reach her?

ballet valet

removed

kat23

Hi-We are relocating to the Seattle area and are looking for a pre-pro ballet school for our 10 year old daughter. We already have PNB on the radar. However, if anyone has recommendations for some smaller schools with excellent training, we'd like to keep all of our options open and have her try a few to find the best fit. I guess we are looking for a few "hidden gem" type schools to add to the potential mix. Thank you

balletmom1963

Hi Kat23. I don't have any first hand knowledge because we live further north, but Evergreen has a great reputation and I saw a group of dancers from Evergreen at an SI audition a few weeks ago and they danced very well. We have several dancers from out local studio who are looking into attending this summer's SI.

If you want to go ninety miles north, we attend a fabulous little school with very small class sizes and very qualified and caring instructors!

good luck!

ami1436

Kat23 -- if you are moving to the South Puget Sound, south of Seattle (say between Federal Way and Olympia), I'd be happy to provide suggestions.

balletmom1963

My daughter auditioned today for Evergreen City Ballet's SI. We brought two other dancers with us. Between the three of them, they have collectively auditioned for approximately fifteen SIs. All three girls LOVED LOVED LOVED rhis audition experience the most. They came out exhausted and happy. They said they were worked super hard but it was really fun. All three said they want to attend this SI only. I wish I would have known this earlier! Ha! Two of the girls have auditioned and attened big name SIs so this was a surprise. Kevin taught their class which was three levels together (customery for the Saturday class) and they said the live accompaniment was lovely and the pianist was a fun person. Louise, the principal, and Keven ard both retired PNB principles and the atmosphere is professional yet supportive.

kat23

Thanks, everyone, for the input. We are scouting neighborhoods in the coming weeks and hoping to find something affordable-ha!--in the city but will consider outlying areas with longer commutes if need be. It's nice to have a range of options to check out.

balletgirl2

New to this thread, does anyone have any information on Tacoma City Ballet for tween aged dancers?

KCGirlinMD

Bumping this thread as there is a 90% chance we will be in Seattle at the New Year. I need recommendations for my 3 DDs. We are currently at an ABT affiliate and the girls are in level 5 (she may be higher but the instructor hasn't passed cert yet), and a new 4. My son is L3. I need something that all 3 will enjoy. The girls are pre-pro track, but the boy just likes to dance.

Victoria Leigh

We don't recommend specific schools, but you could check with ABT's JKO School for schools in Seattle which are ABT affiliated.

DancingGirl
KCGirlinMD

PNB has open classes which I took during high school and college years. I am pro ballerina now. There is also International Ballet Theatre in Kirkland, Russian based program (just 15 minutes across the bridge) that could have classes at that time of the year. Christmas time is really hard, everyone just stops dancing for a week or so.

may_may

Hi, 

Is PNB the only Balanchine style school in Seattle? We are in the early stage of moving (couple locations: Seattle, Miami, Dallas and Raleigh), but my daughter is devastated by this idea. She is currently trained at a nice Balanchine style school, but both MCB and PNB turned her down last summer. If there is other Balanchine teachers/school, I would very much like to know - maybe it will help my daughter to accept the idea of moving. Thank you! 

Juniper Beanz

I don't know if PNB is the only Balanchine school in the area or not, but I do know that PNB's summer course is more difficult to get into than their year round program. Even many year round students don't get accepted (yes, even they have to audition).

If you are looking for year round Balanchine training, I would recommend your daughter tries out specifically for the year round course at PNB. They also have an eastside facility if you happen to land on that side of the lake. 

may_may

Juniper Beanz, thank you for the reply. I contacted PNB, but they insist that my DD audition for the summer, and year round decision is made in the summer. We are moving on 6/15, so it’s risking not knowing what her next year training will be. She is 13 right now, so there is east side summer dance camp too, do you know if that’s good alternative for the summer if we end up in Seattle? They have separate auditions... :(