Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Second position Develope?

SingingInTheRain

When Doing a develope to the side I have always learned to do it a little in front of my body and pull up. But one of my teachers says that you need to keep your hips perfectly straight and another says you have to let them tilt a bit to get height :thumbsup: . I have been trying to keep them straight but I am not sure if this is right. Should I keep them straight or let them tilt? :)

Thanks,

SingingInTheRain

Up to 90° of extension, and perhaps a bit beyond, the hips stay level. When you get above that, they have to tilt a trifle to allow the leg to rise. After awhile, the extension can get so high that there is simply no way to maintain a classical alignment and stick your kneecap into your ear. You are doing the right thing by putting the leg just a little forward of absolutely to the side. Without a rotation of 90° per leg from the hip, you will throw yourself out of kilter by trying for an absolutely side à la seconde.

If you do have at least 180° turnout from the hips (this has been independantly confirmed by 3 teachers) is exactly to the side OK? I have always learned "front is front, side is side, and back is back" and do my best to maintain this placement without sacrificing other things. Am I perhaps taking this too literally, or is it only meant for tendue?

If, at extension, you still HAVE 180° rotation, then fine. Some few people are actually this fortunate.

This relates to turnout, to the side, so I hope it is the correct place to post:

Most teachers tell me slightly to the front to, but one teacher is russian, and she believes in having your leg directlyto the side. I have good turnout, just not great, and after doing this for 3/4 of a year, I have noticed that I am LOSING TURNOUT!!! I think this is the cause, and if it is, what should I be doing????

dance4life56 you are discovering that there are various ways to teach the direction of the leg to the side and turn out. Think of it as experiencing a bit of the professional world, meaning that, various ballet masters, directors and choreographers may have differing suggestions on how to accomplish various aspects of technique or require differing ways of moving. The dancer's job is to accomplish what is being asked.

In this case I suggest you go to your "Russian" teacher to ask about how to accomplish direction side and turn out your working leg in the hip socket. Your teacher is the one who can see you, therefore she/he may be able to give you very specific corrections that may help you. If your teacher does not understand at first what you are asking, try again more slowly and unemotionally. If your teacher is Russian, there may be a language/cultural barrier to sift through. Not an uncommon situation when dealing with Russian teachers.

One of the most difficult aspects of working with the leg directly side opposite the supporting heel is that it really takes a very long time to train, a great deal of commitment on the part of the teacher and the student, and a belief that it can improve over the course of time. Without these ingredients, it will not improve. A few things that may help...never think only of the working leg. The supporting side of the body is what will help you in the long run. First you must establish direction side, opposite the supporting heel with a very clear understanding of the supporting shoulder, waistline, hip and thigh.

There are long threads on this subject in both Young Dancer's forums and the Teacher's Forum. We moderators have participated in quite a few of these forums. Run a search! :huepfen:

Get back to us and let us know what accomplishments you make! :D